Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Used Avalon for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Avalon 2004

Antonio Gonzales, 09/23/2016
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable car

Best kept secret ever

avylvr, 07/26/2014

I traded in a junk Buick in Dec of 2012 for my beautiful 2004 one owner, all service records, 72,000 mile Avalon. I had read reviews which appeared it was a good car and man were they right. It's been growing on me, I love this car. I commute 120 miles round trip a day so now I'm at 124,000 miles and this car still feels like it came off the showroom floor. I sunk about $1500 into it with new Pirelli tires, new front rotors and brakes all the way around, new rear wheel bearing, transmission service and of course the timing belt/water pump maintenance. I'm going for 400k miles. It was well taken care of before me by a little old lady and I will continue to do the same.

The Japanese Buick

Ron Stephenson, 12/22/2015
XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Here is one of the best, most reliable cars on the market. Now 11years old, and no problems whatsoever. Quiet on the road, great mileage for a larger car and smooth handling, good brakes, great heat and cooling. Get in, drive all you want and get out rested. Once in the car, your passengers are impressed with the quality of materials and how quiet it is. Smooth ride, and lots of legroom in back. Could use larger cup holders, but the two will accommodate normal sized cups. I was so impressed with my wife's identical car that I decided to dump my Infinity M-35 and get one for myself. A low-mileage one came up at the Toyota dealer, with new tires on a 42,000 mile example. If you need a somewhat larger car with a decent v-6 engine that gets good gas mileage and great comfort for trips, this is your car.

Best Car I have owned

Neese, 10/14/2010

I purchased this car new in 12/04 and have 60,000 miles. Other than oil changes, tires and routine work it has been free of any problems or concerns. I love the smooth ride and comfortable seats with warmers for winter!! This car is by far the most comfortable and easy to drive car I have ever owned.

Bought car used

avalonowner4, 06/05/2014

I bought mine off the Toyota lot used. and it was a great choice. the quality of the leather and the interior design is good for being a Toyota. The roominess of the car is also great enough room for four people to sit comfortably and stretch out.

Avalon 04

Stan Mills, 11/12/2006

The feel and roominess are great, the noise level is very low. Handling is very good, and the ride is smooth. The power is adequate. The only item I am not happy with is the low actual milage compared with the listed average, which is 26 highway though listed at 30, and the town mileage of 20 which is not close to the 26 listed. Highway mileage at 60 mph average is 32, at 75 it is 25.

Good car, enjoying it!

BHSK, 09/29/2003

I researched many consumer websites before purchasing. I was wanting a spacious, reliable, comfortable driving car. I know others who have purchased the Avalon XLS in recent years that are also very satisfied. We recently took a trip and the car handled very smoothly and quietly on the interstate. I had been driving a Cadillac Sedan Deville prior to my purchase and was not happy getting only 18/24 MPG with that vechile, even with premium gas. Also had a number of repairs each year, and the Cadillac parts were very expensive (struts, suspension sensor light, etc). Thus far, it has been easy to see why Avalon has won many "best buy" consumer awards.

Nice, clean car--SHARP!

Delia, 10/04/2019
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very smooth ride, A/C works excellently, no noises whatsoever---clean, smooth ride overall.

In A Class All It's Own

Evan, 03/25/2020
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Last summer, My 1999 Camry V6 XLE finally bit the dust at over 250k. It had been a good car and I knew I wanted to stick with Toyota, but also was looking for a model with higher feature content. An Aunt of mine was looking to unload her 2004 Avalon XLS to replace it with the 2020 model. She drove it here and there, and after sixteen years, it had only logged a little over 91k. Looked showroom new and was well cared for over it's life so far. I went ahead and made the purchase and I am so glad I did. This big Toyota is far more robust than the Camry. I've always heard people say that the Avalon is a stretched Camry, which is theoretically true. Stretched Camry platform, similar powertrains. However, the cars seem to share little else in common as far as their overall personas. The Camry was slightly more pedestrian, even in XLE guise. They were nice cars either way, but the Avalon takes everything to an entirely new level. Distinctive and understated elegance is the best way I can describe the exterior. Clean, crisp lines and fine detailing that isn't overdone or obnoxious. It won't turn heads, but it exudes a quiet dignity and a small touch of prestige. I just love the interior. I have a model with the bench seat and column shifter. Very spacious and luxurious interior. The leather used seems of higher quality than might be found in an upper level Camry and there is simulated wood grain trim which adds a nice touch. Automatic climate control, heated seats, memory seats, multi info display as well as touches like the wood grain trimmed steering wheel all add to a feeling of opulence and luxury. More sound deadening materials are obviously used as well. The car is amazingly quiet. I get the usual wind noise at highway speeds, but it seems more hushed. In city driving I can't hear much of anything at all, other than the radio. Gas mileage is about what I would expect for a car of this size. Nothing too spectacular, but not dismal either. Some features take some getting used to if you haven't had them before. VSC (Vehicle stability control) is a great feature that aids braking in panic situations to help avoid an accident. It is welcome here. Due to this car's larger dimensions, there is a little more play in the steering as opposed to the Camry. I once activated it in a turn and a beeping warning comes on to let you know it activated. In panic situations it will also apply full braking power regardless of if the driver takes their foot off the pedal or not. You will feel this sensation of the braking engaging. Was a little unnerving the first time with this car on I-25 in Denver, but I realized that it was a feature of the car and have gotten used to it. I really like this car so far and I'm sure with proper care, it will last forever. Very solid, quality vehicle. It's not too hard to find clean, low mileage Avalon models. They aren't popular with the younger crowd. There are many well cared for examples. If you haven't thought about it or have been curious about these cars, they are definitely worth a look.

Top Notch Toyota

Purdue, 11/06/2008

Just bought this car certified used as a swap from an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. A LOT easier, more fun, comfortable to drive than a top line SUV. Rides like a dream even compared to other cars I have tested. Interior is very spacious and elegant. Dash is more recessed than most and feels like there is a ton of room because of it. Classy looking car that is basically a Lexus with the Toyota emblem instead. Great cargo space as I lost nearly nothing from a Jeep to this. First car I have had and enjoying the extra fuel mileage.

12345...12