Used 2016 Tesla Model X Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Tesla Model X Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Model X model:

Go Electric!
By Alan Savenor

2016 Tesla Model X P90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

EV range is great. Easy to refuel at superchargers.

Model X is fun to drive but has glitches
By bgp

2016 Tesla Model X 90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

My Model X has konked out twice and had to be towed. It has also had numerous other glitches such as the dirver's door refusing to open (causing me to have to crawl in from the passenger's side). The falcon wing doors are great for loading and carrying big stuff, but they are confusing for guests to operate, they are slow, and they sometimes fail to open all the way. passengers have to squeeze under or they bump their heads. The Falcon doors are not cool, they are annoying. The front cup holders are too close together to accommodate two medium coffee cups. One of us has to hold our cup. Annoying. Auto pilot on the highway feels very very unsafe. I use it only in slow traffic under 30mph. The black glass roof keeps the car very hot (outside temps over 68 require interior a/c) and the tint of the glass is not enough to block glare of the sun. Form over function. Hate the black glass roof. Teslas are FUN to drive, but the X is seriously over-engineered and interior is not nearly as comfortable, convenient or intuitive as my Lexus SUV. Soon as Lexus or Mercedes come out with an electric SUV I’m switching.

If you want quick acceleration, buy this car!!!
By P90D Test Driver

2016 Tesla Model X P90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

Yes it's all electric, and yes, it's pricey around $90-100K for a "used" car, but if you can find a low mileage Model X P90D in excellent condition, then it's certainly worth looking at. Most people will find the 2017 75D or 100D regular version (not the "P" version) to have about the same look & feel as I didn't see that many changes from the 2016 to 2017 for both the "P" and "non-P" versions, but the one option on the P90D X that I test drove had "Ludicrous Mode". For those who don't know what that is, it's basically taking a very fast car and making it ridiculously faster. Other than on a race track, I'm not sure how beneficial that option really is to the average driver, but at around 3.0 seconds from 0-60, you certainly can get a jump on others at the stop light or merge onto the freeway very quickly. I guess it's one of those "nice to haves" but probably not used that often in a commuter car. Best thing to do is test drive both the "P" and "non-P" cars at a Tesla dealer and see for yourself. Keep in mind a "new" 2017 P100D with Ludicrous mode will probably set you back over $140,000. So for a (1) year old car with under 10K miles, at a price of around $90K, a 2016 Model X P90D is a substantial $(50,000) savings, or on the other hand a huge loss if you bought it "new" in 2016. By the way, I saw the sticker price of the car I test drove to add "Ludicrous Mode" was $10,000, and the total price of the car was $147,000. Both have Tesla's 50,000 mile 4 year warranty and the 8 year on the battery & motors, but check with the Tesla dealer to confirm these numbers. The only drawback was my test car had Autopilot v 1.0, and not the latest v 2.0 Autopilot, so the 2016 I drove could not eventually be a 100% self-driving car.

Best vehicle on this planet
By Johnny

2016 Tesla Model X 90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

Attention! If you have problems navigating your smart phone (with the exception of anything apple) then this car is probably NOT for you. On a positive note, this car has changed my life! I have owned my 2017 X for 6 months and managed to put 21,000+ trouble free miles so far. I've taken this car up and down the mountains, everglades, dirt, rock, middle of nowhere and I loved every bit of it. The view from inside is better then my convertible! The cooling seats are great in the summer plus you can cool or heat the car from the tesla app on your phone before you enter + lock/ unlock doors + even move it forward and backward for tight parking etc. Adjustable suspension knows what to do on bad terrain. Autopilot sure helps in traffic or long trips just be alert since bad drivers are everywhere and construction or roads with no lines or faded lines can confuse the car periodically. I have the 5 seat configuration and my rear seat folds down. I heard all the new models do that now too. Charging is super easy and fast compared to stopping multiple times to fill up and the navigation is so spot on it has signal even when my phone didn't! I've heard of some people having issues with their cars I'm def not one of them and it's actually pretty rare. Again please read my first sentence and that should explain everything. Upon delivery you are treated with excellent service and a full introduction of the vehicle. It will take a few days to soak in all the amazing stuff this SUV (that drives like a lotus) can do!

Unsafe autopilot, poor door operation
By Aug

2016 Tesla Model X 75D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

If you get ANY tesla's, DO NOT purchase autopilot. As great as they market it to be, it's unsafe and it's seriously a matter of time before someone, whether it be a tesla owner, or another driver on the same road as a tesla, gets seriously hurt due to autopilot. What's ironic is that Elon is using consumers to collect data so it can work out the problems with it's autopilot. Autopilot is sold as a "beta" version. I bet no one knows about this before purchasing the car or autopilot. It's a huge fraud what he's doing, and hopefully one of the lawsuits will nail him for it. The doors suck and the sensors to detect how much space the doors have to open are placed incorrectly and are faulty. Have already had it replaced twice in less than 10 months of owning the car. The sensors to open the front doors are placed where any normal person would stand to open the door. This causes the door to not open fully, and requires extra effort and time to get into the car unnecessarily. This, hands down is the most regrettable purchase I have ever made.