Used 2001 Suzuki Vitara Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Vitara for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Turned out to be a financial disaster.

mensacyclist, 12/27/2003

AVOID!!!! I bought my Vitara in June of 01, got a "good deal", got an extended warranty and planned on keeping it for 7-8 years. I've always bought Japanese in the past and would not consider anything else. At 56,000 miles the clutch went. The dealer wanted $993, local mechanic needed about $700. There are NO aftermarket parts for this car and the dealer parts are too expensive to be worth the while. I traded the Vitara in for $5000 less than I owed on it and rolled the debt into a Dodge truck. My $15500 Vitara was worth about $4000 just 2 1/2 years layer. Check the blue book.....you'll be amazed at the deprciation.

POS

msu7151, 06/15/2015
JLX 4WD 2dr Soft Top SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2012 with 88,000 miles on it. It looked brand new and when I needed new brakes, the repair shop thought it was a new SUV. Since then I have driven it only 5,000 miles and have had a myriad of problems with it. The battery has been replaced four times, brakes twice, and windshield wipers, twice (still noisy). I have had to replace the oil pan, alternator and door handles. The entire underside is rusting and a recent mechanic asked me if I parked in a field because of the rust.I park in my driveway. The rocker panels are rusting. Now the vehicle will not start again and the catalitic converter is loose, causing all kinds of noise. Also, the a/c no longer works.

No long-term reliability

SATX, 06/13/2008

My Suzuki was great for the first few years, but once my extended warranty ran out, it started falling apart between 80k~91k. First went the auto-entry device, then the A/C, then some electrical problems started flaring up where my headlights and interior lights pulse at night, then an automated window went out, then the interior dome light shorted, and the final two kickers--it was not starting up, then finally it started dying on the road randomly and shaking and needing a time-out before I can restart it. The worst part is, either we have terrible mechanics in Texas or this is a hard car to work on, because no one can figure it out! A car should not be rendered worthless at 91k!

Fun Toy

Keeper, 04/11/2010

I bought this new to replace my 1994 Geo Metro. With the exception of the air conditioning, this has been an ongoing issue that both the dealership and Suzuki have tried to resolve, even after the warranty had expired, but still goes out every year. I used this car for pizza delivery for many years and it has help up great. This is a great car especially with the top down. I also get between 24 and 27 mpg, in town or on the highway. I do not see differences in mileage in town or on the highway.

2001 suzuki

aarika, 09/19/2002

very reliableand fun to drive. also a great looker always getting compliments. also great gas mileage