2017 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Very good big SUV alternative
By D. Faro

2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

A safe, well built crossover SUV with standard awd. Great gas mileage (30 mpg on a 1400 mile trip). 5 star safety features.

Horrible Technology
By KDE

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

The Subaru Outback 3.6 Premium comes with Starlink and Maps. Both of these are subscription services and not for the life of ownership. The interface is NOT USER FRIENDLY. Voice Controls are absurd and complicated. I had a Garmin that worked better than this maps app. Trying to sync your phone will drive you nuts and you will give up before you actually sync it completely. Texts are still not integrated for me. You will download bloat programs that are needed in order to have the technology work and the programs will not work properly. Overall massive frustration. Being nickeled and dimed to death over purchasing update for maps and subscription service to Starlink (which stinks) is just what I need to NEVER BUY A SUBARU AGAIN. They may have gotten how to build a car right, but they are morons at technology. Mileage around town tends to be 15-16 mpg (not the 20 advertised) and on the highway 20. Not happy with this car.

Subaru is GREAT!!!
By r scott

2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Everything about the car is great!

A big step up
By charlie

2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my third Outback after a 99 and 08. The 08 was a step back from the 99, but the 17 is a HUGE step forward from either. The automatic in my previous car sapped all performance, while the CVT is excellent. Sound system is a significant upgrade. Interior space is a significant upgrade, although that's mostly/entirely the room in the back seat. The room in the hatch is the same. The Eyesight took a couple of trips to set the way I want, but since then does just what I want it to -- beeps when something is in the way or when I drift out of my lane. The adaptive cruise control is a godsend when making the trip up the East Coast. My one real complaint is the mileage -- I'm averaging about 30 on long trips and 25 in mixed driving normally. I expected more like 33 and 28. This should improve with age, though.

Technology and this car not the best
By CurleyQ

2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car new 7/2017 - looking forward to the upgrades as my previous Subaru car was 15 yrs old. Unfortunately the bluetooth is not clear for people to hear the caller, calls frequently dropped and static to calls that go through. The HD radio looses connection frequently - and I live in a busy area - where I got great reception from my old radio. Blue tooth is poor for audible books - as sound disappears but the screen notes it is advancing. Navigation from your phone only works when on Blue tooth - hence can not listen to the radio while using navigation from your phone . I have brought my car back to the closet dealership - whom at first was not pleasant and couldn't verify the problem - I needed to call Subaru headquarters. Two new stereo's later from Subaru and it is the same problems. I am very disappointed in this car and miss my old one.