Used 2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Excellent driving experience!
By Steve J. Lachman

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I actually have a 2016 Subaru Outback. The drop down did not allow me to put the correct model year! The gas mileage has been excellent compared to other vehicles I have had. a while back, I was on road-trip on I-5 on my way back from the Bay Area, home to san Diego. At one point, I looked at my MPG gauge on the dashboard and it read 40.5...Yep 40.5 MPG!! I wrote to Subaru, and they sent me a that you gift of a BOSE 'Bluetooth' boom-box. I went to Best Buy and discovered that it was selling there for $325.00....I was shocked, but it also told me that Subaru appreciates their customers!!!

2015 ....Subaru fades
By Macrojane

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 17 years of owning my first Subaru, I bought a 2014 . A total lemon! After much hassle, Subaru replaced the car. At first the 2015 was great. Then! At 25k miles the tires had to be replaced. At 35k miles the rear brakes had to be replaced. Then the drivers seat split. Then the back of the drivers seat ripped. And today, the battery went after keeping the tailgate open too long (1 hour). As for the seats, your are not buying leather. You are buying “pleather”. This fake leather does not tolerate high altitudes, hot sun or dry climates. I finally got an honest answer...Subaru is selling new cars with substandard equipment to keep the price low....cheap brakes, soft rubber tires, smaller battery. Goodbye Subaru...you are not what you used to be. I am looking at trading it in for a RaV hydride.

DIsappointed!
By Shar

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I pretty much replaced everything at 90000 miles: head gasket, power transmission, timing belt, everything under the hood. I was guaranteed that it would be as good as new after spending close to 5000 USD. Now its back in the shop for a transmission hose leak. And incidentally, leaks and head gasket issues seem like typical problems; shouldnt they have recalled and fixed those issues?

Dont walk...Run!
By Scott

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the XT used in 2011 with 27,000 miles from dealer. Paid $26,500. Bought the extended warranty for $2500. Regular oil changes at 3,000 miles. A couple sets of tires, a couple brake jobs. Driving home from restaurant car all of a sudden dies, dash lights flashing, brakes and steering in manual, pull over to side of road (luckily not in traffic at highway speeds). Tried to start, turns over but very slow. Towed to dealer next day. Told I need a new engine. Told metal shavings in oil, no other explanation. Car had 110,000 miles. They replaced the short block, turbo, water pump, timing belt. Dealer quoted $9,000. Subaru gave me $2,500. Out of pocket $6,500. Replaced rear bearing $1,000. Couple of brake jobs, couple sets of tires, oil changes every 3,000 miles. Car now has 208,000 miles, Driving to Waterloo, IA. Cruising at 75mph, car loses power, dash lights blinking. Pull over to side of road. Sit 1/2 hr. Try to start car. Starts but acts like it running on one cylinder. Tow to dealer on Wednesday week before Thanksgiving. Told not able to look at until next Tues. Rent car and drive home. Dealer want $100 to diagnose problem. Called back later and said the want $300 for compression test. Called on Tues and said that the car had a bad valve. Quoted valve job, timing belt, water pump for $3,600 plus misc $4,100. Decided to sell car to mechanic for $1,250. Will never buy Subaru again !

Great Car, have owned it for 7 years
By karl hoffmann

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

There is nothing bad I can say about my 2009 Outback. The car has been rock solid and would recommend a Subaru anywhere, anytime. I purchased it with 16K on the odometer and I put another 102K on it.