Used 2004 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

2004 boxster base
By Jack Alexander

2004 Porsche Boxster 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my boxster early this year at a great price relative to the miles, only 35,000 when i got it. shortly thereafter my starter needed replaced. after i got that fixed the stereo started acting up. i expected more reliability wise. But i love this car. it handles like a dream and i love the sound of the engine and the xenon headlights. not as fast as my 08 mustang gt in a straight line but feels faster top end. turns heads everywhere i go. i recommend it if you are looking for the coolest and best handling car without spending a ton of money. just avoid the S model due to engine problems and find one with low miles and the bose stereo. mine has the base stereo and it kinda sucks.

Caution! It's a 12 Year-old Sports Car
By David Schwartz

2004 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I recently bought a 2004 S model. It is a really great performing roadster and by far the most comfortable sports car I've owned, and I've owned a dozen of various makes. This car is way faster than most people need and handles like it is on the proverbial rails. The quality of the fit and finish is very high.

I'm posting here mainly to advise folks considering one to remember the reason they have depreciated so much from their original price: a successful class action lawsuit against Porsche. The mechanical failure rate of the engine in this model may be as high as 8%. The main thing that causes the engine to be destroyed is the Intermediate Shaft Bearing, which has several design flaws. It frequently fails without warning. The cost of a rebuilt motor, installed, is between $15,000 and $19,000; equal to or more than the car is worth. Fortunately, the bearing can be replaced for about $1,600, or about $2,600 with a new clutch at the same time. If you're going to buy this model Porsche, plan on making the repair soon after the purchase.

Amazing car to drive
By NDALUM

2004 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've had a Mitsubishi GS, SRT, Turbo charged Passat among others. Even though the others were brand new or close to it when bought, I traded my 2008 Passat for a 2004 Boxster S and cannot be happier. It is a blast to drive, super super fast. Not as fast as the M3 or Vette I test drove, but way more of a head turner. Top down is sick. It's quite the pick and the engine sounds sweet. It is quite the head turner, a blast to drive, and my daily driver. Just could not drive a 4 door to work anymore.

I have the navigation, despite being 5 years old, love it. Bose system, Xenon, power top, rear defroster, the sweet sounding 6, 12 second top, and the window controls in the center.

Have to get a 997 next, cannot wait.

I Love My 2004 Boxster!
By Drjon

2004 Porsche Boxster 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned multiple foreign and domestic sports cars and have never owned a vehicle that gives me such pleasure to drive as my carrara white 2004 Porsche Boxster! This car was designed as a modern version of the Porsche 550 Spyder of the 1950s and it is a blast to drive as I'm sure that car was/is. It has the technology to make even long drives comfortable and the Bose sound system is the best I have ever heard (home or in a car. It even beats my 2007 BMW 335i Harmon Kardon system). This car gets looks everywhere I go and rightly so-It is a beauty. I would strongly encourage anyone to purchase this car-you won't regret it!

Body Design. Engine Design. Sheer Fun to drive. Easy to open and close automatic convertible top. Boxster red leather interior with embossed Porsche logo on the headrests. Bose sound system. 17" sport wheels.

None

Boxster
By jp

2004 Porsche Boxster 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been very reliable. It is very quick and handles like it is on tracks. This has to be one of the best cars out there for the money. The quality of the car is excellent. The Bose stereo system sounds great as well as the sound of the engine. I'm very happy with this car and will not but any other brand than Porsche.

The suspension and handling. This car is so quick and fun.

none