Used 2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Great little car
By George Dossett

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very reliable. Found many good condition cars with 200k miles.

Great small white utility car 1.8 Automatic
By ingrid

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got mine when the model was new in late 2008 , and over the years the car had a bunch of recalls on both the GM and Toyota component but no problem getting them done by the dealership.The biggest recall was on the CV boots.

At 82,000 miles I am on my second set of tires, brakes .Some small chip paint on the hood , no discoloration on headlamps.Inside ,the volume knob is only part that is loose . I do notice the accelaration from 0-65 is not as fast as it use to be but once you are there it accelrates to 75-85 pretty fast . I am fast safe driver on the freeway. Some rattling here and there but nothing unusual.
I augmented the visual side mirrors since I had a few close call of the blind spots.
When the back seat are folded it creat a hugh loading space where we can feet 5-6 feet long objects from Ikea , a projector screen. So my car has become the utility car .
Always love the high sitting position, with my bad back and hip ,it really helps a lot .Too bad they stopped making this model, they should have converted this into a hybrid . I think this is one of the better designed compact utility hatchback body car out there, escpecially with the high rating crash test.

2009 Vibe 1.8 automatic
By brisan

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 8000 miles on it and put on an additional 60,000 miles before it was totalled out in a crash with a 4 wheel drive pickup truck. We were driving almost 50 mph when the truck turned into us from the turn lane. We hit drivers side bumpers and came to an instant stop. My wife and I were banged up and bruised but able to walk away. We found out it had 4 and 5 stars in crash tests. We loved this car and got between 32 and 36 mpg depending on driving habits and time of the year. We never had a single problem with it and are now in the process of finding another one to purchase.

Gas milage and great headlight visibilty at night.

2009 Base 2.4 w/5sp auto, 80K Miles so far
By abramsgunner

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in July of '09.
Base model with 2.4L/5sp-auto, PS,PL,cruise, keyless.
Now pushing 80K miles with few issues.
On my second set of tires and brakes.
My steering column rattles (very common), cold starts sometime produce a timing cam rattle (common) and the paint chips and scratches easily (common).

Fully loaded with family of 4 + gear on trip to Tenn. got me just shy of 32mpg.
Even with my heavy foot, I still avg. 28mpg in daily mixed driving.

Great fun to drive. Does everything I need.
Was cheap to buy and maintain.
Sharp little car.
I have truly enjoyed it.

I just added a K&N CAI and she sounds great, any mpg increase will be a bonus.

2.4L, seats are plenty Comfortable, Style in general.

Better paint. Upholstery stains too easily.

Great Versatile Car!
By blazer7t8

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 09 Vibe AWD when it was a year old and had 11K miles. It has 90K, now. My wife drives it most of the time and she liked the size and control layout. The interior is nice and the seats are comfortable. We often take this car on a 4 hour road trip to visit family and my back does not hurt. We average 28 mpg. Have gotten as high as 32. It swallows up cargo. Have hauled tall filing cabinets, 8Kw generators, lumber, etc. With the higher ground clearance and AWD it gets around great in Ohio winter snow.
It could use more sound insulation. You hear a lot of road noise. New tires at 58K helped but still noisy. No major repairs, only normal maintenance items. Overall, great car!

AWD, Sunroof, Monsoon / Kicker Stereo, Easy folding seats for cargo hauling, Low maintenance cost. We drive about 24K miles per year with only normal wear and tear items.

Better sound insulation. Wish they till made these. I don't like the look of the Matrix.