Used 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Trans Sport model:

Not happy with GM
By quehouse

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I have put 135000 miles on this van. I have only recently had to do any major repairs. I just had the intake manifold gasket done. The radio display went quirky and died. A few electrical problem such as windows and rear windows not working. Just replaced the water pump a few months ago. And so far I have changed wheel bearing assemblies and both ball joints.

Very comfortable ride with a peppy economical engine.

GM should come clean about the problems with the intake manifold and the radio/cd display. After these problems and no help from GM I will surely not buy another GM product. To bad but the Japanese brands and quality are sure looking good.

Wish it could last forever
By nina41

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased used with 45,000 miles on it. Dealer included new tires. Just replaced those in summer of 2006. Only other replacement was battery after 4 years(still factory issue). The only problems have been with the rear shocks. Replaced both due to clamp failure. Great gas mileage. Great ride. Very dependable with loads of room. With rear seats out you have a covered truck. Can't imagine life without my van.

Roomy inside (4 captains chairs). Dual air/heat. Traction control in sand or rain.

Rear vent windows do not function well, but I don't use them anyway. CD player is inconveniently placed but newer models changed that.

Can't wait to sell
By Gayle

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3dr Minivan

Manifold repaired, electrical problems everywhere, interior heating and cooling does not work, engine light, air bag and abs sensor lights on, worst vehicle I have ever owned The handling however is the best I have had even over a Honda Civic Family owns a 2000 Montana - same problems so GM is not listening or caring

Underrated - a fine automobile
By ROGER

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

After nearly 10 years of service, it has never been found wanting. I average 24 mpg with over 107 k miles.

Volume with comfort

No more GM's for me
By No more GM's for me

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this Canadian vehicle in at a Western Pennsylvania auto auction. We got it at less than 14,000 miles. We were delighted with it until 41K (6K out of warranty). Then, with no warning, the engine leaked coolant into the crank, two bearings spun and we needed to replace the engine - $4000! After politely but firmly requesting that GM should pay at least a part of the cost, they essentially told me to pound salt. The regional rep wouldn't even talk to me! Letters to GM basically said drop dead. Turns out my cousin had the same van, a year newer, with 48K - engine failed. My daughter's father in law had a Buick that failed at 5K with the same engine. NO MORE GM's FOR ME!!!!

Decent design, reasonably comfortable, good mileage for the size.

GM needs to take responsibility for the obviously defective design of this engine. MANY have failed. Yet, GM refuses to even split costs on repairs. As noted above, the regional Rep would not even talk to me. Terrible way to treat a customer and certainly no way to get repeat business.