Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 448 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

DO NOT BUY!!!
By Joyce Mowe

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has quit on me 7 times. Every time it quit I would take it in to the shop and spend $100-$800 to get it "fixed" only to have it quit again a couple days to a week later. The worst part though is what this car did when it would quit. It would be going down the road and then all of the sudden my power steering would go out and my brakes!! So here I am driving down the road and I can't steer or press the breaks! Its done this 7 times! Now they say it will take $1500 to fix it. This is a terrible car that will cause wrecks. Mine only had 160,000 miles on it. DO NOT BUY! VERY DANGEROUS CAR!

Murano at 230k miles
By BrockFromAtlanta

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The murano has been in the family since new. this SUV is made well, but it can's be abused. It has good cargo space. it is comfortable and strong. Cvt tranmission shifts well but it requires high maintenance(CVT fluid is over $20 per Quart, and the vehicle may have acceleration issues if the fluid is slightly low). It still runs on original engine and original transmission. It runs and drives well, however it started to burn oil( I have been using 20W/50 grade oil since 175k to reduce oil consumption). Engine is super quite when idles. All motor mounts, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, power steering pressure line, and radiator went bad before hitting 180k. Doing the work myself, I saved a lot. I work on cars a lot, and I have to tell you that working on Muranos are very hard because of design. Replacement parts are usually more expensive compare hondas. As it was stated by other owners, sun visors are made cheap as well as leather on armrest. It tows well. Engine and muffler sound sporty when rpm goes high.

221,000 miles 2004 Nissan Murano
By LTR

2004 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my car in 2006 from dealer? Great car at first until 100k miles
Oil pan leak
Replaced o-ring and seal twice
Plastic tabs kept coming out from underneath car
Tires didn't last long
After 150k
CV joint and axle rods replaced
Back right window sticks intermittently
ABS light stays on
After 200k miles, everything was going
Front drivers seat bracket broke, causing seat to slant. Had it welded and seat put back, power seat mechanism slips slightly
Replaced radiator
Replaced power steering parts
Now, the car is hard pressed to go over 40mph uphill. When going over 50, drives smoothly, but unsure what the cause is...catalytic converter, fuel pump, fuel injectors, or spark plugs.
All of which is costly because of the placement of parts under the engine.
It has been a great car but would recommend selling around 100k miles
Parts are expensive!

Run Far away and don't look back
By garry

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The car is good for first few years until the repairs start coming in. So many issues where do I begin, bought the 04 Murano in 06. It ran good until it hit 100K. The engine started burning oil about a quart/week. No that't not normal. The suspension is the worst I have seen on any car. Every few months tie rods or control arm or something with suspension is going wrong. The stereo stopped working. The rear door latch has be greased every few months. The part/repairs are so costly it's like owning a BMW. Hard to work on because it's so hard to replace things in the engine. Bad Design on nissan's part. Not buying a Nissan again, especially due to their V6 burning oil. Such disappointment. Wipe blade linkage became lose and had to replace the whole motor. The leather is cheap and ripped.

The good about the car, AWD.

Don't buy a MURANO!!!
By pruettfan

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We purchased our 04 SL AWD fully loaded Murano new in the summer of 04. We just traded in the car at 164,545 miles this summer (2014) so I can provide a comprehensive history on this car.
Within a couple of years the "leather" drivers seat was cracking badly on the sides. We had to replace the steering rack, two power steering lines and a sensor,
an oil cooler seal, countless tires because the car never aligned properly and would make tires very loud.
By the time the car was 6 years old the rattles and switch failures, car locks etc started to add up. We traded it in with lots of small problems and an oil leak. This is our first and last Nissan. Stay away!!

Styling was nice.

Nissan should make cars that are reliable and of some quality for the long term. It was nice for about 3-4 years then the troubles started. The last couple of years it was terrible but we decided to hang on to it for as long as we could because it was paid off. Very happy we traded it in. I would suggest you avoid buying one of these used regardless of miles, price or condition. It will be a headache.