Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 451 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Good value for the cost... especially used
By Jack in TN

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Check for accident damage, both by 'reports' and by having a mechanic check it. Our 'normal expenses' rise as milage goes up, but that is about right for any car I have had. At 145K miles, we had the transmission replaced, still don't know exactly why. Our mechanic did not do an autopsy, but I am guessing it is part of the early mortality problems of many CVT transmissions. This generation of CVT seems to be the Achiles Heel of the Morano

nightmare
By carol

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

this car will cost alot in repairs one thing after anothe the Nissa corp should be ashamed of themselves it was poorly made i would not reccomend this vehicle to another buyet

Mechanic says "safety hazard"
By Allison

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Nissan Muranos come with a high price tag. I invested in this vehicle expecting it to constructed with quality materials. I was informed yesterday by my mechanic that is cannot be driven out of the shop. His words were, "It is a definite safety hazard". The rear frame cross member has totally rusted, rotted and completely dropped. No wonder my back tires were leaning. In appearance, this car looks great. Never would have I thought I was driving something dangerous. The Murano only has 130,000 miles. I have seen online that a Murano with only 90,000 miles did the same exact thing. This seems to be common for the Muranos. Spending Between $35,000 to $40,000 you would expect a better quality build. Contacting Nissan, nothing they can do, out of warranty. Seems more like a defect (recall) issue than a warranty issue. Especially since lives could be affected. Another common defect in the Murano is the A/C condenser dripping into the subframe, pooling and rusting from the inside out. That also won't be visible until something "happens". Seen a 1980's truck yesterday. Still solid and running.

DO NOT BUY!!!
By Joyce Mowe

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has quit on me 7 times. Every time it quit I would take it in to the shop and spend $100-$800 to get it "fixed" only to have it quit again a couple days to a week later. The worst part though is what this car did when it would quit. It would be going down the road and then all of the sudden my power steering would go out and my brakes!! So here I am driving down the road and I can't steer or press the breaks! Its done this 7 times! Now they say it will take $1500 to fix it. This is a terrible car that will cause wrecks. Mine only had 160,000 miles on it. DO NOT BUY! VERY DANGEROUS CAR!

Murano at 230k miles
By BrockFromAtlanta

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The murano has been in the family since new. this SUV is made well, but it can's be abused. It has good cargo space. it is comfortable and strong. Cvt tranmission shifts well but it requires high maintenance(CVT fluid is over $20 per Quart, and the vehicle may have acceleration issues if the fluid is slightly low). It still runs on original engine and original transmission. It runs and drives well, however it started to burn oil( I have been using 20W/50 grade oil since 175k to reduce oil consumption). Engine is super quite when idles. All motor mounts, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, power steering pressure line, and radiator went bad before hitting 180k. Doing the work myself, I saved a lot. I work on cars a lot, and I have to tell you that working on Muranos are very hard because of design. Replacement parts are usually more expensive compare hondas. As it was stated by other owners, sun visors are made cheap as well as leather on armrest. It tows well. Engine and muffler sound sporty when rpm goes high.