Used 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

My first car, still own it
By Tiffany

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. I begged my parents for this car when I was 16 back in 1990. My parents surprised me with it and I’ve Loved it ever since. I added a giant stereo to it with a custom boom box and shorted out the electrical system a few years back but I’m dying to get it figured out so my kids can drive it when they turn 16. It’s the ultimate shifting car. It goes extremely fast and I did get a lot of speeding tickets in this car. My cars not even turbo. One was for going 123 on the lonely stretch of highway going from Vegas to Mexico. It’s fast.

My first car
By Total ECLIPSE of the heart

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car was given to me by one of my father's friends a couple months ago. After replacing 1 power steering hose the leak I had was gone. It runs very well and has amazing pick up and handling. The gearbox positioning is something to get used to but after a while it's fine. It has no issues mechanical issues other than the power steering leak I had and has been running perfectly with no issues since 80000 miles. Its not in the best physical condition as there is a smallish dent from an accident in 96 and the paint is peeling but overall I just love this car. The one downside is the back seat. I'm 5'5" and I can't sit up straight without my head hitting the ceiling. I still have the original speakers which sound like crap after nearly 30 years but it works. Overall this is very reliable and fun to drive. Gets good mileage if you avoid using the turbo. ( I don't and you're a fool if you do.)

A Real Stormer!
By rcbrx7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had the privilege of owning this car for 10 years now.
I bought it from my neighbor for $1000 in the spring of '04 as it was hit in the back end.
I fixed it up for another 1K and for 2K I had a real rocket ship.
Power is unbelievable! will plaster you to the back of the seat in first four gears!
Stay out of the turbo and get 30 mpg on highway.
Who could ask for more?
I have restored it in last couple years and looking forward to many more carefree miles.
If you get a chance to get one...JUST DO IT!!

Great car
By righttime

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Owned the car for 10 years and replaced the battery and tires and did routine maintainence, that's ALL. The car was quick with loads of torque steer, awesome car.

2L Turbo, 200hp

More HP and TRQ

The Basics of the Basics
By MY1990eclipse

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2dr Hatchback

I recently got my 90 eclipse base and it's 1.8 L non turbo FWD. and it's my first car so I'm kinda disappointed because it's not what I thought I was getting it's only got 94 horsepower but it's a great car for gas. I'm at about 174,000 miles and there's nothing wrong engine wise except that it's not fast at all. i mean this car has never even heard of the word torque. but it's a good car for saving gas.and if your only taking about 1 person with you. and my hatch arms don't hold it up to i gotta get some new ones but i hear that happens all the time.

it looks fast, great on gas 32-38 mpg.

hatch arms more reliable and back seats are practically useless. from 1st to 2nd gear shifts a bit hard but other than that it's a great first car. and not too expensive.