Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

2007 Mini Cooper S
By Casey B

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car was a blast to drive, but spent more time in the repair shop than my driveway. I bought it used from the dealer when it was 6 years old, and it only had 48k miles. Based on service records and appearance, it had been well cared for by the previous owner. I bought a warranty at time of purchase because I read online reviews indicating that reliability was spotty. Sure enough, after I owned the car about a year and maybe 8k miles later, it needed a new engine due to oil starvation (I later learned that the turbo models consume about a quart of oil every 1k miles). The engine repair was $7.5k, and my warranty covered about $5k. However, that was after I threatened to sue the dealer and the warranty company for NOT wanting to cover the repair. The dealer and warranty company initially told me that the warranty was null and void because the car had been modified (lowered a bit and an air intake added). I then reminded the dealer that the car was exactly as they sold it to me, and it that was going to be an issue, they should have told me before selling me a third party warranty. About 18 months later, it started making a rattling sound, and I spent over $2k replacing the parts that house the timing belt. About a month ago, I took it in for an oil change, and to have some warning lights diagnosed (air bag, check engine light). Long story short, they listed another $4.5k in needed repairs, including a new air bag! By this time, I only had $66k miles on it because it was just a weekend fun car. I paid for the oil change and told the dealer I was done. I literally handed the keys back and told them to keep the car and that I'd drop off the title in a few days. They weren't surprised because this model year is problematic, and they've heard stories similar to mine before. They did manage to find a wholesaler to buy it from me for $600, and I gladly accepted it. Had it run properly, it would have sold for closer to $5k, but I just didn't care anymore, and the thought of taking it home that day made me ill. So I left it and never looked back.

Wow
By Alex

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Wow, talk about fun to drive. It's a freakin rocket! Cranks up every day. I'm just lucky I guess.

Fast at a price
By Dan

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Best sporty car in a budget. It handles like a go kart with a sport mode and a turbo charged engine. The car takes off like a rocket and is really fast. Around 100,000 miles the entire engine was rebuilt and that was not cheap.

Our very favorite car ever
By gerry Katz

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

We have owned bmw, accura, jaquers, fiat, sans and Peugeots but by far this mini is our favorite. Almost daily someone says ... Great car and we always agree.

Don't waste your money on a Mini Cooper!
By Hansen

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had Japanese cars, American cars, BMW's and VW's. This car by far is the worst car I've ever owned. The car manufacturer knows they messed up on the Sports model and they knew they were putting-out a piece of JUNK. The Shaft on the Turbo, on the sports models, shears away and messes-up the engine. I had to spend $7500.00 on an engine. The manufacturer (BMW) settled out of court on a class suit action in regards to its defective engine parts. To read more search for "Skeen vs BMW of North America, LLC (Civil No. 2:13-cv-01531-WHW-CLW)".