Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Long term love (2009-2017)
By Kevin

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Purchased in 2009 when I graduated highschool this was my first car ownership experience. When I got this I was looking at Honda S2000's but my parents had an affinity towards Mercedes-Benz so we agreed on this as a nice compromise. Owning this car through the past 8 years has been a pleasure. Here is some of my experiences. 1) first car accident( rear-ended at red light) no visible damage but the Honda Civic was almost totaled by her insurance. 2) Repairs- cost $2,500 over 8 year term. So $312.50 average a year. This was mainly because I did a complete overhaul 3 years ago replacing all worn parts(suspension, motor mounts, drilled and slotted rotors and new pads, spark plugs, mass air flow, etc) before I started working in finance. Now i am in my final semester in my dual-masters program and in a few months I will tell my car goodbye and sell her for $5-6k with 155k mi. Note: I purchased this in 2009 for $10,500 so my total costs excluding the $75 oil changes was about $1k a year when you factor in my purchase price and resale value, not bad right? haha I must also include that during my past 3 years of ownership that this car doesn't pass NC inspection due to the MAF sensor. Oil gets caught up in this because after the car is around 12 years old the supercharger spits oil into the MAF. The next major issue is that the hydraulic powered hardtop's seals go bad after around 10 years in age and they leak into the headliner, I fix this by completely draining out the fluid for $25. I passed inspection by getting a exemption permit each year. Now I will move on and purchase a Porsche Cayman S or 2013 Porsche 911. Although if you do sit in this slk you will see a strong resemblance between this and the 2007-2012 cayman interior. This car holds a special place in my heart, we went through undergraduate, corporate life and now graduate school together. I hope my experience shows you that Mercedes ownership is not expensive as one might expect.

Fun Coupe or Convertible
By Patrick

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK320 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I did have a 98 230 SLK with 4k but was totaled by a drunk driver. I purchased a 06 Chrysler Crossfire, thinking I would have the same experience and save money. No comparing. The SLK series Mercedes is one of the coolest convertible roadsters on the market. Performance, looks, roadster feel, with more class than most roadsters. I sold the Chrysler right away and began searching to replace the 230 with a newer 320 with no regret.

Performance and the cool hardtop retractable. Great in any environment. The car is reasonably comfortable on a long trip as well.

The cup holder is awkward at best. Any spil goes directly on the stereo and wood dash.

No bells or whistles
By Benz42

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK320 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is especially fun to drive, even at slow speeds. With exceptional handling, acceleration cornering, the envious stares I get from other drivers are just icing on the cake. I love the automatic fold-and-stow hardtop, and the way the car feels when I'm in it. I also love the sound of the exhaust when I'm accelerating hard, especially when compared to my previous 4 cylinder turbo MazdaSpeed Protege. This is a fun and prestigious car to drive and own. I'm glad I found it.

Found this 2003, Designo Silver SLK320 with only 17K miles. Buying it was a no brainer since I'd been looking for over a year and nothing else came close to the condition - Like NEW! Even my local Mercedes dealer was impressed. Styling is second to none and it feels like a Mercedes. I love it.

What's up with the lack of luxury features? My wife has a 2000 Explore with more in the way of useful gadgets, such as a trip computer, digital climate control, and a CD player. This lack of technology was a big disappointment to me, as I would expect more than the basics in a Benz!

I LOVE MY SLK
By SLK 230

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

It is fun driving top down or up but I will srive it top down more weather permitting. It get's pretty darned hot here in Phoenix AZ in July.

love the sporty look bit it is not considered a sports car as far as insurance concerns

none, i like it as it is

Exaclty What I was looking for!
By Joe

2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Car has a very solid construction. Comfortable for a sport roadster. Good on gas. I average 24 mpg on premium. Engine has enough power for an average driver, but being a 4 cyl is does not sound too smooth. The whining of the supercharger compensates a little, and bring some of the 'sport sound' to the car

Hardtop up or down. It is incredible. Bose sound systes is very good. Overall exterior design. It is already a classic! Stick shift is very precise and the 6th gear acts as an overdrive for highway driving. Low noise, good mileage