Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

My Mercedes s500 Experience
By Samantha

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

HI everyone, I bought my 06 Mercedes s500 with only 40k on it about a year ago and put about 60k on it. The car has 100k now, but here is where the horror story begins. At 100k the Service needed to be done (Spark Plugs, Oil change, all lubes) $560 and $2000 at the dealer. After two months the SAM went out, my TPMS sensors went out, Brakes went out, AIRMATIC PUMP went out and the car sat to the floor, The Secondary Air Injection went out. This car is very beautiful and comfortable and I used it a lot. If I went to the dealership I would have paid over $9000 for all of those services i mentioned above, I am not that type to go to the dealer but $4000 is still not a cheap price to pay. This car has many pumps and gadgets that can go out, be prepared to replace them at 100k! After that hopefully it will go for another 100k with normal maintaining.

Great first benz
By Newtobenz

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

It's used, but still amazing. Great feel, great ride. Wish bluetooth was included or a USB port. But other than that it is aaesome

A little DIY makes this a fantastic deal
By kcattorney

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my '06 S430 4matic in 2011 with 130,000 miles on it. It had a very subtle but nice lower body kit and new 20" aftermarket wheels with fresh tires. I paid $13,000 for the car. Despite the high mileage, it was in great shape. Having owned several German luxury cars in the past, I knew going in there'd be maintenance costs. I came up with a strategy for dealing with that inevitability. First, although it was to be my daily driver, I had backup vehicles to use when (not if) something broke on this car. That's important because it took away the urgency whenever something broke on the car - I would just drive my old BMW 3 series convertible for a few days or a week while waiting for a part to arrive and for me to have the time to install it. Second, although I'm not a mechanic, I can do research on the internet to diagnose a problem and hopefully find easy to follow instructions to complete common repairs. There are an unbelievable number of detailed, step-by-step instructions with pics and videos on the internet Mercedes forums and Youtube. Third, I have a 4-post hobbyist lift in my garage. That makes doing many, many diagnostics and repairs so much easier. 4 post lifts cost about $2,000 and can be delivered directly to your garage. You can put it together yourself in a day or hire someone to set it up for you for about $500. Fourth, I have a mechanic that lets me provide my own parts and he just charges me labor. This saves me ALOT in repair costs. You will probably need to develop a relationship with the mechanic before he allows this, but referring friends and family to him is a shortcut to developing such a relationship. It also means staying away from the Mercedes dealership and using an independent repair shop. There are some repairs that I just don't have the time, talent or tools to take on, and having good mechanic for the tough stuff is a must. Fifth, gathering up a decent set of tools and an OBDII scanner is a must. But, with Harbor Freight and Northern Tools and other discount tool sources, it's not that expensive to do that. Be sure to get a decent toolbox or chest to keep your tools organized. Sixth, don't be afraid to buy used parts when appropriate from salvage yards as well as use quality non-OEM parts. This can save you 50% to 80% easily on parts over what a dealership costs. My S430 now has over 200,000 miles on it and it is going strong. I have gotten to know the car and am not afraid to do some easy repairs - for example the Airmatic suspension system. It's relatively easy to fix the air suspension, and with aftermarket suppliers, I would even say it is cheap to repair. For example, the first Airmatic problem I had was a big one requiring replacement of the air pump and problems with both front struts. Had I taken it to the dealer, it would have been nearly $7,000 to repair. After researching on the internet, I was able to buy a rebuilt air pump and replace the top strut seals all by myself. About 6 hours of total labor and $900 in parts, including the cost of a special strut tool. If your mindset in buying a used Mercedes that's out of warranty is to take it to the dealership every time it breaks, pretty much any model Mercedes (or other luxury vehicle of any brand) will eat you alive in repair costs. But, with a DIY mindset, you can keep them running great on a reasonable repair budget. The W220 series cars are fantastic automobiles.
Update: September 7, 2018 - I sold the car about 10 months ago. Replaced it with an '08 Audi A8L. The Audi is a newer generation with technology than my old S430, but it has been in constant need of repair, literally from the moment I bought it. I expect things to go wrong with an older German luxury sedan, but the Audi makes my S430 seem like a Honda Accord in terms of reliability. I will probably sell the Audi soon and go back to another S-Class Mercedes, around a 2010 model. Every Mercedes I've had has been a relatively reliable vehicle, and I've had 3 with well over 200,000 miles.

How can they build at this level?
By grdow

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my car this weekend. I had owned a 2006 430S 4matic for 4 years. In that time it was trouble free for 2 periods of 6 months. Traded it in with 80k which was limited due to the multiple issues that we encountered.
First the tire pressure sensors went...3 times. Next the turn signal control stick disintegrated. Next the heated steering wheel control had the same issues. The washer fluid reservoir cracked ($450).
I went through a 1/2 dozen bulbs and each time a bulb goes out it disables the electrical system. The ultimate issue was the continued shaking when the car went over 50 MPH. Apparently there is a known issue with the struts, but MB will not own up to it. I almost forgot to include the A/C unit working on and off, usually in the winter. Never again!!!

Never Again
By gadaria

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S350 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

The S Class is the supposed flag ship of the Mercedes lineup.
She is a beautiful car on the outside and on the inside. With great styling and decent performance for its weight. But the car is always needing repair. If it's not one thing then it's another.
-Transmission leak first week of leasing
-Airmatic suspension went out FOUR times; car was so low to the ground it had
to be towed.($2500 fix)
-ESP went out a couple of times ($1000 fix)
List goes on but i'll stop. Overall I'm disappointed with the amount of money thrown at this car after what I paid for it. At the time of this post that car had lost 92% of its value. I expected more from their S class.

1.Slick exterior and interior 2.Ability to switch from MPH to KMH (Useful when traveling from US to Canada) 3.Cruise control is easy to adjust 4.Speedometer and Tachometer are easy on the eyes

1.) Dump airmatic suspension 2.) Stop using Chrysler engines. The engine did not fail on me, but it's still an American engine. They took the 3.2L from the E class and just shorten the walls to make the S350 a 3.5L; If I had added a turbo/supercharger (small excep to centrifugal) then those walls may have cracked 3.) Fix the electronic safety features permanently