2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLE-Class model:

Unreliable
By KDC

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have had this car (brand new) for 7 months. It has been in service 7+ times for an issue. The AC smelt within 45 days of purchase, sunroof had to be reset by dealership because it wouldn’t close, coolant tank cracked with first freeze, 4 check engine lights for varies reasons and repairs. Mercedes has fixed all repairs under my warranty but has had no reasonable undestanding of why I am upset about the trouble and inconvenience. MB USA has the worst customer service and impossible to reach. I would NEVER recommend Mercedes to anyone since this is how they treat their customers. Please don’t assume that because it’s a luxury vehicle, it’s a luxury experience or reliable.

2017 350 GLE 4matic
By Ray Maddalone

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This review is for a previously owned 2017 I purchased in 2018. I'd give it a 4.5 stars but couldn't see how to do that so I filled out the subratings to help. I traded a 2010 RD E350 Sport for this essentially 7 month old 350 GLE 4matic a little over 9000 miles on it. My other car is a beloved 2014 Audi Q5 TDI (still the best power plant on the planet). The 350 GLE is big, heavy (4600 lb) 5 passenger SUV. It has a large cargo area (much larger than the Q5) and with the rear seats folded down at least twice as much. This review is based on the road trip of 200 miles to pick it up at an out of town dealer and trips around our hometown (mixed driving). I was motivated to do this because I felt the Edmunds video review was unfair assessment compared to the written write-up. The author in the video commented negatively on the ride, lack of road feel in the steering and the blind spots due to the pillars. This is not an off-road SUV though it has a "setting" for it. This is your classic MBZ ride (firm but not jarring with an overall soft feel that still leaves you in control). It is the car you would take on the long trip because of that and the excellent front seats. Yes the steering is like butter but what you expect from this class of vehicle. It is not hazardous soft. It goes where you point it and you don't have to work to park this large vehicle. I don't see the issue for the segment and target audience (more mature drivers looking for luxury ride and appointments). Yes compared to the Q5 the GLE side mirrors are smaller, but the side blind spot warning is excellent. So even if the car alongside me was not in the mirror, it was noted in the mirror via the warning lights. It is not a safety issue. I can see already that gas mileage is going to be 19-20 mph on the highway at the 70+ mph I'm usually going. Moving 4600 lbs will do that. Acceleration is more than adequate. I have played with changing to the Sport setting and it appears to make for smoother starts because in the Comfort mode you have to work the accelerator carefully to start smoothly. Sport starts in 1st gear rather than 2nd the acceleration is cleaner, at least to me. Braking is good, you just have to apply it harder than I am used to. Either the Q5 diesel deceleration or the E350 lighter weight required less braking to coast to stop. Just a learned skill for this larger car. While the screen icons are updated compared to the 2010 E350, the overall layout of the controls is essentially the same as the 2010 system but the system seems to respond better perhaps because of a better processor. The "mouse" pad is not my favorite so far as I use the control knob in the joystick mode to move around the screen. One comment on CPO versus non-CPO cars. We got this SUV before it was CPO'd. There was nothing stopping it getting CPO'd other than it was ready for sale. The dealer said if it had been CPO'd, it would have added around $2500 to the sale price. What you get for that is one year more of warranty without a mileage limit. Yes there is a checklist but the elements of the overall warranty remain exactly the same in either case. Given this vehicle had almost 3.5 years left on the warranty, I did not feel that it was worth the CPO. You should search and read the Edmund's article on CPO versus non-CPO. They pretty much lay out the reason to not worry about buying a pre-owned vs. CPO pre-owned under the right conditions. This car met them and I ended up saving the cash getting the car for $15K below its original MRSP. Car had P1, P2 and Parking assist packages, 20 inch tires with special rims and a towing hitch (which I won't use). You really must get the Parking Assist package because the surround view is well worth it.

Luxury suv with goods, bad's and ugly's
By Da man

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class GLE 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I rent the base model when the car rental ran out of cars and gave us an impassible upgrade deal. Car looks great as I caught many glances from passerby like am a rich guy, funny it was when people judge me by the look, oh well!!! Here is the good, bad and the ugly. Good: look, very quiet, feel slow like 55 mph but actually fly at 85, parking assist with great view even in low light, great interior and fitting, really cold a/c, big trunk area, good space 2nd row. Bad: slow acceleration, only use super unleaded at least 91 octane, gas guzzler when use cruise control, no 3rd row, keeps asking me to rest with night driving almost every hour. And the UGLY are: rain activated wipers that wipe like I dance on hot charcoals with no option to control its rate (make visibility nil and very dangerous; better with slower swing so I can still see in between the beats; too fast and the water can't drain off the windshield); next is the rotating selector and the little screen that I can use my finger to write, instead I wanted to give it a finger; an absolutely waste of time, unless Benz replaces it with touch screen than I will call it AWESOMENESS, not yet Benz. The next troll is the seat design. Worse than an "economy" car. Not only my butt but all passengers ended up with butt bruises, well that is a little exacerbated but it was a "pain in the butt". The seats are tooo firm, Benz, unless Germans was spanked so much when little that they have better tolerance. And lumbar support for front seats are bad that I had to snug a small blanket there. Ok, I rant much now so need a break. Until next time...

Worst Car I Owned
By Lolita Stewart

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class GLE 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is the worst car I drove in 40 years. At first, when I drove it with the dealer sales rep, I was impressed of the technology, i.e., navigation, Attention Assist, Lane Assist, etc. Perhaps, the salesman was very convincing that I did not pay attention to other important factors I have to consider before closing the deal. It was too late for me to realize that the car I got did not have a spare tire, but instead a run-flat tire. The run-flat tire is a small tire compared to a spare tire. This means that if I got a flat tire and used the run-flat tire, I cannot drive normally as the tires will not be balanced and I will be prone to accident if I travel for a long distance. And in case I got accident because of this run-flat tire, I will file a lawsuit for a manufacturer's defects. This GLE 350 was manufactured without taking into consideration that a car should always be DRIVEN WITH ALL FOUR TIRES OF SAME SIZE AT ALL TIMES.

Apps
By Budd

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

All going well with purchase, BUT tried to download the Mercedes Benz Apps that comes with the 5 year mbrace Connect. Nothing. Mercedes and mbrace say there's no current fix. Of course, you can't check this out until after you buy the car and register it with mbrace. Dealership says, not our problem, mbrace says you aren't paying for it, so we'll fix when/if we fix it. Two months and waiting. Mercedes shouldn't advertise it if they're not going to back it up. Otherwise, a tad stiffer than the 'comfort' mode would lead you to believe, but quiet with nice interior. It comes with a spare tire and jack. (I hate run flats.)
+Seems about 3" higher than similar SUV's. It does, however, have limiting feature for the lift gate if you're parking it in a garage to prevent scraping from the overhead The Premium 1 package has the basics you need. Suggest the Parking Assist package just because having the surround view is a hoot.