Used 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

$29,367

Used MX-5 Miata for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Sports Car Most Eligible to be an EV

Thom Moore, 09/09/2019
Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The new styling makes me think "Mazdarati", with hood sloping down to a low air intake and those curvaceous fenders, sloped for a more muscular look than the "Fiata" 124 version. The accommodations are marginal but adequate for those under 74 inches tall. The rocker boxes are small enough for reasonable entry and exit effort, so there is actually room for a center console, unlike other small mid- and rear-engine cars. The available package of BBS wheels, Brembo brakes, Bilstein shocks, Recaro seats, and an aero kit makes for a diminutive, lightweight car that means business. IMO, the MX-5 strikes just the right balance between driving excitement and creature comforts, and the quickdraw soft top is just more icing on that cake. It's perfect as a daily driver or as a weekend fun car. Mazda somehow managed to capture the essence of the classic roadster in a car that is also robust enough to handle modern roads full of aggressive SUV and pickup truck drivers.

an enjoyable ride

Chris N., 02/17/2019
Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my first car I look forward to driving every day. The small size makes it very agile and the car feels like an extension of the driver, and it's easy to ignore the compromises made. With the top down, visibility is great and the wind creates of a feeling of speed, even when driving moderately fast. With the top up the car feels cozy, but rear and side visibility are very limited and the noise from the soft top excessive at highway speeds. The addition of aftermarket wide-angle side mirrors and noise cancellation headphones helps. Acceleration is good with room for improvement. Fuel economy averages about 31 mpg although any savings are negated by the requirement for premium gas. The ride on my Sport trim is sporty but not hard, so I am glad I didn't go for the stiffer suspension of the club. Body roll is acceptable. The cloth seats are quite comfortable. Mazda apparently decided to punish buyers of the Sport by saving a couple of dollars on a padded armrest, but that wasn't enough for me to upgrade to the Club. Gear shifting is decent, with reverse and sixth needing improvement but the others good. Entertainment system is sub-par but usable. Using handsfree calling with the top down actually works, due in part to the location of speakers in the headrest. Overall, I am very happy with the car.

2019 Miata the best

Sally Herman, 05/05/2019
Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This 2019 is my 4th manual Miata sport. The new improved engine power, infosystem,new rear camera, side indication, lane indication and driving experience is awesome. The new 2019 model is faster, easy to manuver and safer. I have owned other much more expensive top brands but keep coming back to the reliable Mazda Miata. Anyone who has not driven a miata could never describe the excitement , speed and ground hugging fun. I find only 2 downsides but both are to be expected. The trunkspace is minimal but owners know how to fill it certain ways to accommidate much. The passenger side is smaller in the 2019 model with less leg room because of the larger engine. Price, driving experience and reliability is above all.

Special Feeling

Mark Wiedder, 06/21/2019
Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Athletic and sporty,This is a drivers car.Does everything you ask it to do, from quick starts to quick stops,not recommended for the tall burly type as seats,getting in and out are tight

Mazda Epic Fail

Mazda Epic Fail, 04/24/2020
Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Hello Mazda world! I wanted to let you know of an issue that I am currently dealing with. I need to preface this that I am 51 years old and have been driving a manual since I was 16. Furthermore, I am a 20 year veteran of the automotive industry having worked on the retail side and as a client retention management consultant, having traveled around the US consulting with various dealerships from BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, Honda, Toyota etc.... In September of 2019, I purchased a new 2019 Mazda Miata Club edition with a manual transmission from my local dealership. It had 56 miles on it when I purchased the vehicle and was so excited because it was my 2nd Miata after a number of years. I bought a Miata because the last one was my favorite car and I had the opportunity to buy a new one. Almost two weeks ago, the clutch went. I had the vehicle towed to the local dealership. I received a call that the warranty company declined the claim. After a long discussion with the service department they went to bat for me again. I subsequently called the Mazda Customer Experience department. I have now spoken to 3 different people. The second person I spoke to was great at handling my concerns and listened. He stated that the claim was still open. Within 5 minutes of hanging up, I received am email stating that the claim is denied. I called the Customer Experience Department again to speak with Oscar who sent the email to me. I received someone else who was not at all empathetic and sounded more like a robot than anyone I had spoken to. It was awful. I hung up the phone more frustrated. I have asked to speak with someone in the warranty department but I have been told, twice, that they do not speak with customers. I am now being expected to pay $2,200 to have a new clutch put in the car. The arguments I have heard are baseless. They stated that this is not a recall issue or a common issue. What makes this baseless is that it does not mean that one car can not have defect. Having worked for various manufacturers, I know that the fact that this car has such low miles on it, would be a red flag that maybe there is a defect. Instead, Mazda Warranty is not budging, no good will or anything. Especially in this time of need. The sad thing is that this is my 2nd Miata and I LOVE this car. I am just disgusted at Mazda's lack of customer service. This is the 3rd Mazda that my family has owned and unless they step up to the plate, will be our last. I also have many friends who come to me to assist them when it's time to purchase a vehicle. Although I love how the car drives, I can not, in good faith, recommend Mazda at this point. Corporate Mazda does not care about their customers.