Used 2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

A great weekend car
By Tony

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It handles great, braking, steering accelaration Fun to drive BUT noisy Cannot hear the radio even in full blast driving over 65

My second Miata
By Glen Nelson

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car does not have Miata on it anywhere. It is a MX-5. I owned a 2000 Miata LS and it was a good car. I had modified it a lot. This 2012 has almost the same mods as I put in the 2000. It also has the same problems as the 2000. Clutch is terrible. Gears grind if you are not careful. I bought it used and it had 25000 miles on it. It leaks easy as the rain rails don't work good. It costs over $400 to get them fixed. The finish is one of the worse. It also has an aluminum body which dings very easily. The car drives ok after you get use to the power assist. The 2000 did not have this and I like feeling the road. The power assist is hard to get use to as it oversteers if you are not careful. The Sport is the low end and it is the low end. Nothing is included hardly. Radio is inferior. On the 2000 it was a Bose system. The power is good after 2nd gear if you wind it up to 6000 RPM. Then when you shift it grinds if you are trying to get it up fast. I think Mazda did a lot of damage to a good car. I keep the 2000 for 8 years and over 100000 miles. This one will probably not get that.

Midlife crisis at 69!
By Baby Boomer

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I had never had a sports car, despite my being a car guy. They were always too impractical. But I saw this car at a local dealer, drove it, and fell in love. It is like a perfect vintage car, with Japanese reliability, but with wonderful sounds, sensations, and fun. This car makes running errands a joy. Stuff to consider: 1) This is an extra car, and it needs to be driven 60-80 miles a week to keep charged. Failure to hold a charge has been my only real problem, and I have found that a battery tender (20 bucks) is very useful. I have replaced the battery provided by the dealer with a premium one, and while the problem still exists, the situation is much better. 2) I love the hardtop, because around here, near Philadelphia, it gets cold in the winter. I stay away from the snow, but otherwise use it regularly. I bought Michelin all-weathers, and they work fine. 3) Driving on the freeways/Interstates, etc., is not what the car is for. It's okay, but if that's your movie, get something else. 4) Apparently, the average age of a Mazda buyer is 60. Partly this is because people can't drive stick any more, and I have had friends who have had bad experiences with parking lot attendants. Apparently, then, this is a car from another age. Sad, but, meanwhile, I'm a happy camper.

Fun in the Sun Car
By H. Netherton

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Pros: If you want a sports car that receives lots of attention, yet a car you can afford, this car is for you! I love the automatic convertible top which happens when I am sitting in the car with the engine turned on. All I have to do is unlatch the overhead latch and press a button! This is a fun car that gets great car mileage and requires minimal basic maintenance.

Cons: This is really meant to be a 2nd car. For instance if it rains a lot then I take my larger car. The trunk was not large enough to fit in a guitar or suitcase. If you are in a car accident with this little car, you won't have much protection. They need to add side air bags, which my Honda HRV has.

MX5
By Jay

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

An excellent choice!