Used 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Not an S2000
By Car connoisseur

2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Last NC before the 'goofy grin.' Very noisy, if next to a Jersey barrier, forget conversation. Worse with the top up. All the noise comes from the tires. First gear on 6-speed way too low, as is 6th. The 5 speed with an overdrive would have been better. Shifting very notchy even after 26000 miles. Engine very good, very flexible. Does not like low octane fuel, clatters like a can of bolts. Steering, handling, braking are excellent. Wheel arches are too big - see BMW for how this should be done. Mine had 2 replacement fuel caps in warranty - poor sealing causes CEL to come on. It still comes on, so I ignore it, and turn it off by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes when I have time. Mazda and their 'service' sucks. I put 100,000 miles on a 1980 626 and had only a dome light bulb fail, yet now they can't even make an adequate gas cap. The clutch needs a bigger master cylinder, the pedal has to be pushed all the way to the floor for a decent shift - on most vehicles a little dip is enough. Overall, the car handles and performs much better than the Formula Ford I used to race. Pity they've gone 'ninja' with their latest models, which like most of their competitor's offerings are ugly enough to gag a maggot. 2018 Update: all the above still applies: at the same speed, say 60 or 70, the Miata feels like it is going much faster than my 2007 4 Runner Sport due to the noise and harsh ride. In comparison, the truck-based Toyota feels like a luxmobile. As a short-range, fair weather toy the Miata is fine, but as a daily driver? Only for masochists.

BEST SPORTCAR MADE $ FOR $
By george mitchell

2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I am a retired auto mechanic so I inspected the used Miata before I bought it .The woman I bought it from is 72 years old and she was having problems getting in and out of the car .It was time to let it go .It had only 38,000 miles on it and was never driven in the winter time . It was spotless inside and out .I put a set of new Perelli tires on it since I noticed a bubble on one of the tires . It runs great and it is a joy to drive . If you are planning to buy one used please know your limitations and get it inspected by a Mazda mechanic .Find a shop that specializes in Masda cars ,pay them to inspect it thoroghly .If you buy the car, this shop can service it for you .Under no circumstances buy the car without having it inspected by a certified mechanic, not your husband, or boyfriend .Money spent on the inspection will be the best money you will ever spend ! Make sure they check the tires for tread wear and bubbles on the inner and outer side walls .I hope the post helps someone with their purchase . George Mitchell

Super slick
By MCP

2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My Mazda Miata MX-5 answers the call for fun, speed and reliability. There are quite a few on the roads because it is mechanically sound, beautiful to just watch travel and has consistency in braking, shifting and driver expectations. The top is easy to fling done and pull back up. It has no leaks in the rain, the leather interior has been well protected and looks/drives like a much younger car even though it has 92,000 real miles. It is legal to roll the odometer back so beware of those asking a high price for low mileage-nobody has a top if the line roadster from 2007 with 60,000 miles or less. It's too much fun to let it set and decay. I'd rather not drive it on the interstate but I do if I'm only going a few exits.

All this car needs is a blond with sunglasses
By Maureen Horansky

2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The Mazda Miata X5 Convertible is garage kept and outstanding condition. I am 76 years old and when convertibles such as Mercedes or BMW drive up beside me they want to know what brand my convertible is. They say "It is very sharp looking" I have had this happen more times than you can imagine. The car has heated seats, an amazing radio, can get-up fast and what I love about it is the fact that the convertible top DOES NOT GO IN THE TRUNK and it can be put up and down quite easily. I am very attached to my convertible but due to health issues I must say goodbye.

fun little green machine
By GLS

2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned sports cars over our 22 yrs of marriage and I can say this is the most FUN one. My wife wanted a fun car and I think we found the perfect car for her. Yes , the engine noise is kinda loud but its a good loud. Very small inside as in you "wear" the car. The trunk does its job other than the lack of a spare tire. The engine allows you to feel as if your driving a go cart all the time. balance and handling are great with only the mr2's we have owned being close. My wife comes home everyday with a big smile on her face even if she 's had a bad day at work and I credit this little car I could have done this review in really just one word,FUN!