Used 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

Used MX-5 Miata for Sale
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Best car ever!

miata_coastie, 09/08/2013
LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 LS Miata as my first car. Mine is an LS with a 6-speed which makes it feel even sportier! I bought it as a fun but temporary car until I was able to upgrade to something with more power, but I've fallen in love. The car is so light that when paired with my summer performance tires I can fly around corners! So far I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust and it sounds AMAZING! For those who want more power there are an endless amount of aftermarket parts for it from the intake and exhaust like I have to turbo's and even V-8's! Best car ever! NEVER getting rid of it! FYI if anyone's looking for an autocross car, look no further!

Buy 2, they're small

nigel, 11/17/2010
Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you are now looking at these reviews, chances are you are considering buying a used miata. Here is my advice. Buy it! Fantastic reliability, exceptional handling, beautiful to behold. Average mpg 30. What's not to like?

Buy 2, they're small

runsincircles, 09/27/2010
Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Like other reviewers on this post, I love this car. I had a 1991 Miata and loved it and cried the day I sold it. 16 years later I found a pristine BRG SE with a matching hardtop and bought it on the spot. The dealership had it inside with the new Miatas, so I had a chance to compare them visually. I was truly disappointed with the 2009 Miata's interior..cheap plastic and the long strip of fake chrome over the glove box didn't ring my bell. I compared it to my 2001 interior, nothing can touch the beauty of the wood steering wheel, gear shift knob and tan leather seats. Handling is superb and the 6 speed tranny is a joy to shift (Amsoil gear shift oil eliminated my 3rd gear crunch.)

My first vehicle purchased

ihanson, 03/04/2013
LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I flew across country (MN to AZ) to pick up my silver 2001 LS with 17" rims, chrome style bar and leather interior, and most importantly a rust free body. I drove it the 2,000 miles home in February with no issues and it has been a champ back here since then. I had been looking at something fun to drive that didn't need to be that practical since I have a '97 Buick with 200k+ miles that's still running strong to fill in as my winter car. This Miata will take the pressure off the Regal and is WAY more fun to drive. I regularly go on rides purely for pleasure, and blasting the tunes from an iPod through a tape adapter works just fine for those jaunts.

BEST CAR EVER!

LOVELOVE MIATA MX5, 04/04/2017
2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 MX5 brand new. I live in San Francisco bay area and drive both city & fwy. I have not spent hardly any money in maintenance, just changed the oil, replace the battery (2x since 2001 to 2017), bought new tires and replaced the burnt out lights myself with a $9 bulb from the auto store. In 2016 I had MY VERY FIRST tune up and they replaced the spark plugs and did some other stuff. The bill was $250. Some crazy person damaged the convertible top so it was replaced by the insurance company 8 years into the cars life. I upgraded to used leather seats $300 and replaced the car mats to heavy duty mats I came across at Costco $30. With all convertibles it is not a matter of will they leak in the rain, it's a matter of "when". Mine started leaking in 2015. Even with the rubber weather stripping replaced $100 (parts and labor) it still leaks a tiny bit. I LOVE this car. The mileage is excessively good and it is a super fun car to drive. THE BACK END does spin a bit in the rain so don't punch it when you're turning a corner. I have also driven this car in a light snow storm in Tahoe and the aerodynamic of the top down at 55mph in a snow storm creates a perfect experience of no snow in the car! Super cool sleigh ride up interstate 80!! The car has no internet frills but if you want a fantastically reliable car that is fun to drive this is your car.

12345...10