2020 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews

$33,890

Save as much as $4,977
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Awesome Car

Mauricio, 04/07/2020
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love to drive it on my daily commute. Whenever possible, I love to go out, especially on weekends and holidays. Driving is always a pleasure. Mine is a GT, the adaptive headlights are awesome on the night. The Bose sound is heaven on earth. It's TRUE that cargo space is not huge , but for me, family of 4, has been more than enough.

I Love my 2020 Mazda CX9 - an awesome car!

Kim, 05/19/2020
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is a great pleasure to drive. The interior is high end and luxurious! Seating (I have the second row captains seats) and comfort are impeccable, great gas mileage (I've been getting 26 highway), and it really has enough room with the third row that could fit 2 children well enough and that's about the same for other cars in the same class I looked at. ( It's quite easy to get to the third row with the second row captains seats.) The cargo capacity is fine and there's a good amount of storage under the floorboard in the rear cargo area. There's loads of overall cargo space if you fold down the third row should you need it. Other vehicles in this class couldn't compare to the quality and layout of the interior. I am really happy with the handling, and all the bells and whistles of the Mazda. The stereo is fantastic and the car is so quiet I sometimes forget it's running while I'm parked. I also do not hear road noise while driving. The learning curve took me a little while to figure out. Now it's instinctive. Thank you Mazda!

Don't Overlook The Base AWD Sport

John, 08/05/2020
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We weren't in the market for the fanciest trim. We absolutely required AWD. The motor, transmission and excellent brakes fit our needs perfectly for our mountain roads and unpredictable winter weather. Cargo space, especially with the third seat folded down, more than meets our requirements. This vehicle is tight, polished, comfortable, economical for its size and drives like a much more expensive SUV. Very impressive for a base trim level car.

Ad
Build Your CX-9
At a Glance:
  • 7 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • $34,160starting MSRP

Catching the wave

Rod Berry, 01/20/2020
Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This SUV is an absolute blast to drive. Quick response from the 2.5 turbo engine, definitely drives like a sports car and the highly bolstered seats give you a feeling that you are being cradled in safety and luxury. Interior appointments are luxe and easy on the eyes. Gas mileage is a disappointment but I’ll get over that for the experience of this ride. Captains chairs in the second row are fantastic. The stereo by Bose is top notch! Looks and feels like it costs much more than I paid for this version, the Touring with premium package.

Worthy of the praise!

Thayer, 02/07/2021
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first Mazda. I was considering a Honda Pilot or Kia Telluride before finding the CX-9 Grand Touring. I had a manual Subaru Impreza before this car and really enjoyed feeling engaged with the road, so I was looking for something that could offer the same, but fit 6-7 people. This car is spot on, it’s true what others have said; good power, firm balanced handling, well appointed interior and good looks. The reliability is also a big plus. I thought it had all of the needed features plus a lot of extras that I liked. Here are my thoughts after driving home 200 plus miles. Starting in a city and finishing on top of a snowy mountain with dirt roads yesterday at night. I’m 6’3 and 220 lbs. I had plenty of head room (which can be tough to find), the seats were supportive and comfortable, the instruments were all easy to reach and understand. I was disappointed the heads up display was a little hard for me to see (to tall) until I got my seat to really lean back. It’s a very useful system in traffic with blind spot monitoring. Adaptive cruise control was smooth and efficient. The transmission performed well, no unnecessary shifting and smooth. Plenty of power. The safety feature weren’t to intrusive. The headlights were bright and great around dark corners. I forget the features name, but they turn a little to help you see around a corner. I tried to get it to slide a little and the AWD and traction control added just the right amount of correction. It drove well in the city and the back country roads. Last couple of thoughts, the trunk space is small with the third row up, no surprise there. You may not need the third row up all of the time and that would solve the issue. Or get a cargo carrier for above or on back. Far cheaper then a bigger car. The sunroof is small, almost cute, but it’s a feature not a necessity. It’s turbo charged BUT can use regular or premium. You lose 25 hp and 10 pounds of torque with regular. The fact that it isn’t just premium is a big plus. I’m going to see if the backup camera has a couple of settings. I thought view could be a little better. You definitely need it with that 3rd row headrests in the way. Overall it was a great start to owning this car. Mazda has made a well thought out vehicle.