Used 2006 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

This car induces schizophrenia
By Schizo_6

2006 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 2006 Mazda 6 has decent body styling, good acceleration for a 4 cylinder, and is well mannered on the road. It is not your friend, though, and will break down on you even if you care for it. I bought the car used in 2012 with almost 100k on it. I'd owned a 626 and swore I'd never own another Mazda but the test drive convinced me: it handles well with no surprises and while it doesn't turn any heads, the throaty growl when accelerating is satisfying. I get 30 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving. Now onto the bad... Mazda installs their body control module (BCM) right under the penetration for the antenna. Water-boarding is perfect for slowly killing the BCM. A dead BCM means your horn is telling your neighbors it is being stolen, locking your doors, disabling your radio and preventing you from rolling down your windows. It was $1,000 to replace at the stealership. I had to go through 3 used ones before I found one that worked. The BCM will let me drive it now, use the windows and radio but I cannot use my key fob. The interior trim is inferior trim. I hope Mazda was watching when I was sitting at a light and the sun visor fell right on my crotch. I saw more than red and green lights and my SO found it hilarious. Other interior/inferior plastic pieces have randomly snapped off. All of this, and the tire/brake consumption of the Mazda 6 were acceptable because it was a solid, economical ride. The end of the vehicle came when all of the tranny fluid was in the driveway. The mechanic said that Mazda installs positioning bolts on the flywheel to manufacture but doesn't remove them after the flywheel is positioned. Well, one of the bolts removed itself and shot through the transmission case. $4,200 to replace with a used manual transmission. I told the shop to not bother; however, they took it upon themselves to apply JB weld (epoxy) to the hole so I could drive it to the junkyard. That was July 2017 and it's still running; JB Weld is amazing. When that slug of epoxy fails, well... the ride is over and the junkyard gets the 6. Unfortunately, I'm actually so conflicted, I'm considering buying another one. Caveat emptor.

The faithful few
By Lee Duncan

2006 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you love to drive and don't have tall rear seat riders. This car Delivers. Good looks, lively engine, and good fuel economy. Goes a long time before needed repairs. I loved mine. Hard to let go when you decide to move on to something different.

Fun sports sedan!
By mmsim

2006 Mazda 6 i Grand Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This was the first car I purchased myself. I'm the second owner of an '06 Mazda6. In regard to appearance, this car is definitely "sexy", especially in the Dark Cherry color I have. I drove an '03 Toyota Camry before this Mazda6 and I can assure you, the Mazda6 is sportier, smaller, and more fun to drive. I haven't had any serious issues with the vehicle, besides the routine maintenance (oil change, tires,). I had one mechanical problem when I first bought the car but it was under warranty so no cost to me. The speed and handling of this vehicle is up to par; it exceeds my expectations, especially being a 4-banger. Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this vehicle to any prospective purchasers.

The Mazda6 I own is fully loaded so I enjoy the sunroof, upgraded Bose sound system, in-dash 6 CD changer, chrome dual exhaust, fog lights. I love that this car is a smaller sports sedan, so I can maneuver into smaller places.

Better quality interior pieces

Most reliable car I ever bought
By idahogal

2006 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Mazda6 new in 2006 and have been really happy with it. I commute 60 miles a day round trip and have never had it in the shop for anything other than regular maintanence. The only minor thing that was ever wrong with it was a missalignment of the window washer fluid jets. It has never left me stranded, never has made any weird sounds and is really quite fun to drive. I just got it detailed, waxed and the headlights buffed and people at work think the car still looks brand new. The body style is still so current, I don't know if it will ever be outdated.
I am so glad that I made the choice to buy Mazda.

The radio/cruise control buttons on the stearing wheel, the pick up, overall look of the car, many niches to store things, trunk space, and the quality of the interior fabric - it stil looks brand new.

The turning radius could be improved as well as the cup holders so that they can holder bigger drinks.

Not too shabby
By medman13

2006 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car now for about 1 yr. I bought this when i decided to go back to school. It has an overall great design to it and gives a professional look when needed as well as a sporty look when needed. It is reasonable on gas however lacks desired power. The stick is fun to drive and shifts quite well, however an automatic would have been a better choice as an everyday driver in town. The car is said to be the poor mans BMW and holds true to that in many facets.

Enjoy the sporty look and feel of the car. Enjoy the gas mileage and the roomy interior.

Make the engine a little more beefy!! Also for the hatchback ensure that water cannot leak through the rear hatch at any area. Give it a better A/C unit so that it does not have to be replaced and redesign the engine compartment for more owner friendly replacement of headlights and things. Also put seats closer to floor in the car. Back seat is almost perfect but front seat feel a little high for the sporty look that the car gives off.