Used 2004 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 459 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Surprise After Fixing
By Mustangleader

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought at 91000 miles from owner who gave it to Coparts. I have owned 7 Mazdas since 2002 --- currently 4, 2 2003 Protege 5,2006 Speed 6 and Mazda 6 I am reviewing. Thought I bought a bad car from auction. But discovered it needed plugs and coil pack. Then after disappointment of take off I figured it was the computer even though dealerships said no. Well, it was and I bought one from salvage yard which was a lot cheaper than from dealer. Car with auto tranny with sport mode still had throttle response problems off the line. 2 major things now has corrected that problem. Cold air intake filter and update from Mazda with the auto tranny mode. Mazda realized there was something wrong with take off to have update. Now the car has good take off and like all owners who have given reviews, once it hits 2500 rpm, the engine comes alive. Using the sports mode also gives a great feel but the update of auto tranny mode lets the car take off a lot better in auto mode. And when you put the foot into it when getting on freeway, the car will stay in 2 gear to 6,000 rpm to give power. Leather interior is almost exactly to my Speed 6 including the Bose speakers. Only problem like most will complain is gas mileage due to 4 speed tranny. Once Mazda installed a 5 speed auto tranny, I read mileage increased. Owners with 5 spd manual say the get 27-28 mpg. I get 23-25 highway mileage which even my Speed 6 and 3 I owned got better mileage. Suspension give a tight feel in turns which is why this car was rated higher when it came out than the vanilla Honda and Toyotas in the mid sedan category. Made Car and Drivers Best 10 .

Surprise After Fixing
By Mustangleader

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Zoom zoom indeed!
By Rena Hopkins

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for seven years and this was the best car I have ever owned. I is a smooth ride, fast and handles well.

Sweet ride w. great Bose sound system!
By Janet Scott

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well maintained and taken care of 2004 red metallic Mazda 6 sport. I bought this car brand new. It has never been in an accident. It is a very comfortable car and with the 5 speed manual transmission it is fun to drive. It still looks really good and drives well. It is loaded with lots of upgraded features, leather seats, retractable sun/moon roof, Bose sound system,chrome trim etc.

what a sweet car
By Robert Folmer

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

i just drove a wagon 1500 miles on the highway at 80 mph. 25 mpg the whole way. 2.5L. if you goose it a little to get around a semi you are at 100 in no time. Doesn't even feel like it. Fold the back seats down and you can haul all kinds of stuff. Lots of road noise but it has an awesome sound system. turn it up.