Used 2017 Lincoln MKZ Consumer Reviews

Used MKZ for Sale
Select your model:
12345...13

Pros
Cons

Quiet Luxury

oldsnwbrdr, 04/30/2017
Select 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I rented a Continental recently and have driven (and just leased) an MKZ, and Lincoln is doing a great job building quiet luxury cars. It's refreshing that they aren't chasing BMW owners intent on 0-60 times, 60-0 braking, hard cornering, etc. This car isn't about that--if you prefer old school Lincoln, Lexus, etc. I think you will really enjoy this car. I test drove multiple versions before finally settling on a "basic" Select model with the Select Plus and Climate packages, and the moonroof. I drove the V6 and really enjoyed it, but I'm coming out of a Fusion with the 1.5 Ecoboost engine, and I find the 2.0 engine powerful and smooth enough for my needs (most importantly it doesn't sound like a whiny 4 cylinder). I also thought I might want the Revel stereo upgrade, but the bass was so strong that it caused the driver's door to rattle annoyingly, which overrode the improved sound that the system delivered, so no go there. I also found the multi-contour seats in one model I drove to be less comfortable than the base seats. I really enjoy the Sync 3 system much more than MyFordTouch, but even though I have the latest version installed (2.0), the system has some bugs. My car has Apple CarPlay but it requires the phone to be plugged in and I actually prefer the look of the Sync 3 interface anyway. I disabled CarPlay in the system menu, which allows some apps (like Pandora) to appear on the Sync 3 app menu. When I press Pandora to play, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In addition, when I want to play my podcasts, I was not able to use Sync 3 to switch from one downloaded podcast to another, when I tried to play another one it wouldn't work. Finally, even though I'm (supposedly) connected to my home wifi network, every time I manually check for a Sync 3 update the system just spins and spins, never confirming whether I have the latest version. While I find the interior quality of the MKZ excellent, I wish I had more color choices to choose from than black or beige. I really liked the terra-cotta color available in the Reserve models but it can't be had with the Select. That said the interior quality standards fall short of the Germans. All of that said, I really enjoy driving this car and all of the other Lincolns I've been in recently. There are good deals to be had, definitely check them out! Updates at 8,500 Miles: Still loving the car for it's quiet and smoothness. I came out of a Fusion which was an exceptional car, but the MKZ truly takes the experience on another level of luxury. With the supremely comfortable (base) seats the car is made for relaxing long-distance drives. I play with the driving modes once in awhile (I push "S" when passing" but I've never bothered to shift manually). Mileage is about what I expected, mid to high 20's. Should be better though, I suspect the issues are with the transmission and the weight of the car. In 6th gear the engine is turning 2,500 rpm which is a little high. On the freeway I drive 70-79 mph. I follow some of the MKZ discussion forums and learned how to upgrade Sync 3 to version 3.0. I did that a couple of weeks ago and the system seems a little less buggy. I can't figure out how to save my current position as a favorite in the GPS; if there is a way to do it, it's not intuitive. I'm still using the Sync 3 interface exclusively and have shut off Apple Car Play, even though the Apple Maps are much improved with iOS 11. Base stereo in the MKZ... unlistenable. Especially with Sirius radio which is even more so. Lincoln should follow suit with Lexus and install the XM satellite receivers which sound far better. The base MKZ stereo is the same as the base Fusion stereo. At a minimum, Lincoln should install the Sony system from the Fusion Titanium which includes HD ratio. I wish I had upgraded to the Revel stereo (note for 2018, the MKZ Reserve model now includes the Revel stereo as standard... good decision, Lincoln!) Tires are awful. I've noted wheelspin and loss of grip on wet roads. Car has been completely trouble-free for the first 8,500 miles. Despite my gripes I love the car.

Comfort with great mileage

Doug, 06/09/2017
Hybrid Select 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I moved to the MKZ Hybrid Select after leasing an MKC Reserve, which was nice but had disappointing mileage. The MKZ is quiet, has a smooth, compliant ride and outstanding mileage. I'm averaging around 38 mpg in mostly city driving, but I don't use ECO mode because it makes the car feel too sluggish. Sync 3 is superior to MyLincoln Touch and Android Auto is helpful, but I wish Waze was accessible in the app. The driver's seat feels a little firm, but otherwise the car is very comfortable. The CVT can drone when you mash the pedal, but acceleration is acceptable. I'll be disappointed if Lincoln discontinues the MKZ or doesn't replace it with another hybrid vehicle.

Should help the Lincoln brand

Mrpushrod, 10/25/2016
Reserve 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I test drove many vehicles. When it came down to it I liked the interior, ride and comfort better in the MKZ. And for $55k it is hard to find a creamy smooth 400HP engine. The other midsized luxury vehicles felt inferior. As if the Lincoln had a higher-end quality interior. Multicontour seats well thought out, leather and padded surfaces felt soft and supple. It feels like the Lincoln brand is trying harder since they have to thwart off the sport of American brand bashing that is constantly read in publications such as Consumer Reports. Furthermore, I test drove and ordered a MKZ with the Drivers Package that has dynamic torque vectoring which intelligently applies power to the rear wheels when driving aggressively. With the package on a test ride (not pushing to limits) I did not feel any torque steer or that much understeer typically associated with FWD and some AWD vehicles. And to boot in my opinion the road isolation & ride felt better in the Lincoln than a Caddy, Mercedes or BMW. Looking for true compromise, I passed on the summer only tires this time around. So if there is some impact from having AWD vs RWD it will most likely only be noticed at the track or by very aggressive drivers. That said 99.999999% of the audience buying these vehicles today are not going to the race track. They are looking for stable good grip on a variety of road conditions along with easy control and sure footed steering feel. That’s what the average Joe wants behind the wheel and Lincoln delivers. The AWD with torque vectoring does its job and keeps torque steer under control and steering feel is precise; easy to thread the car through a needle. BTW, I am not an ignorant just looking to be the expert and to hear myself speak. I know the difference between the Lincoln and a true sport sedan and opted for the Lincoln. My other vehicles are; a Corvette, Pontiac G8 GT (RWD 6 liter), F150 and Road Glide. The only cons besides the Lincoln name: scant rear head room, smaller rear seat than some, and weight distribution with AWD (not 50-50% front and rear like a RWD sedan). One more comment. Consumer Reports issue with the push button gear selector is really a joke. Anyone that is off the baby bottle will not mind the change. I actually think it makes a lot of sense to free up the console. Hope other brands do the same. A common solution amongst brands through committee would be best

GETTING CLOSER

BobH, 11/22/2017
Reserve 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This marks my 5th MKZ. The first one came about after having owned most of the euros like Mercedes, Jags, BMWs etc. I was playing golf with a friend from Germany who had been here all of 3 years. When I saw him pull up in a Ford SUV I was shocked since his previous car was a BMW. His comment? "Well, I figured since I now live in America, I will support America." It certainly made me think and after a couple months bought a Lincoln MKZ and never stopped. The first one I had surely was a step down in quality, comfort, bling etc. etc., but with each passing year, I kept noticing continued improvements while the price point stayed within reason. Now, this 2017 is getting closer to luxury but I DO have to point something out about SYNC 3. What HAD BEEN an easy to read TRAFFIC REPORT on Travel Link, is now absolutely ludicrous. It's near impossible to read and some of the listings even have horizontal scroll bar arrows to read the rest of the line. Try doing that while driving and you'll be the NEXT traffic incident. THAT is down right ridiculous. HOWEVER...improvements have been made with knobs instead of sliders on the dash which makes audio and climate far easier to adjust. Seems too like there's a little more padding for the knees on either side and the interior beige color is better. After having had 4 and now my 5th, I still love things like regular gas, speed filling at the pumps, low brake dust output on wheels, (the euros are the worst for that), still a tad more quieter inside as well. The seats are generally comfortable but could probably be nudged up a click to be perfect. The angle of the NAV screen on the MKZ is nice.......BUT.....because of same, a mid-day sun can make it difficult to see. I could be wrong but it seems like they increased some lumens which helps. Also noticed the touch screen doesn't seem to leave as many fingerprints as it used to. Finally, I can't say enough about that 4 cyl. Eco-Boost engine. I just wish my Dad were still around because he would be in shock by how smooth, quiet and fast a 4 cyl. could be. In closing, were it not for the inane nuances of the SYNC 3 and especially with Travel Link Traffic display, I'd give it a 4.5 at least. FIX IT LINCOLN....it's ludicrous!

Leasing now but will buy

Armand R., 04/28/2019
Hybrid Reserve 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I leased the 2017 Lincoln MKZ hybrid Reserve 2 1/2 years ago. I love the car so much I've decided to buy it. I've had a few minor issues with the car that the dealer addressed immediately. The MKZ has had absolutely no major mechanical, electrical, or peripheral issues since I've had it. I love the exterior of the car - and I get a lot of compliments especially on the dramatic new grill. I was considering buying a certified Lexus 300h when my lease was up but the cost of the MKZ is lower, and furthermore, I have been driving the car since it was new. I love the concierge service that is included with this car. I have never once stepped foot in the dealer's service department! The only complaint is that the back seat has little head and leg room. If you have a tall or big passenger, make sure they sit in the front! All in all, it's a great car!

12345...13