Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

15 years of reliability
By Joey

2002 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very cool car. It is like a little town car for cruising around the neighborhood. It is very quiet for a gasoline powered car. It is a very unusual design and I rarely see any other SportCrosses around. It is silky smooth and the acceleration is with no engine vibration and feels like a big rubberband was let go. It is not a sports car however. It is the slowest of my current cars. But I still like driving it and now my goal is simply to see how long it can last. I don't intend to spend anything more than for oil changes or smog checks. Frankly it is very practical. It has a surprisingly large storage compartment especially with the back seats folded down. It has never broken down. It survived being lent to my 20 year old son for two years. It worked fine after a mild front end collision against a SUV. Driving it now is like going out with an old friend where we just enjoy a little time together. After owning a BMW, that car feels like a hot date, high maintenance, built for speed and likely to age poorly...

IS300 Lexus on a mission
By Richard

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just sold my Lexus is300 after 2 years of ownership the car was great. nice exterior and sporty and unique interior. The inline 6 engine was smooth like butter. and the low end torque was very nice! The car was fairly reliable the only thing I changed was the brakes, alternator, oil changes. The car was a joy to drive I sold it with 142000 miles. The main reason I sold it was its fuel economy which is weak point of the car I was averaging 20 mpgs every week driving very conservatively.

215,000 miles and still like new
By YotaFan

2002 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am the second owner of my '02 SportCross and have driven the heck out of it. It is my daily driver, and has been incredibly reliable. I have had zero issues with the car and have no doubt it will keep going past 300,000 miles. The back seat is roomy enough for my kids, but my almost 6-foot tall son does get a little cramped back there on long road trips. The cargo space is surprising, the rear split seats fold down, and the passenger's seat does as well allowing me to carry long things like an 8X12 foot rug. Build quality is exceptional, even after almost 15 years, the seats still look like new, the carpet isn't worn, and all the buttons still work. On road trips in the mountains, I still get around 28 MPG, in town, it is around 21. It took me a long time to track down a SportCross, but it is well worth the search.

Best Car I've Had
By mchad001

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Been driving it since it had 81k miles, it now has 124k miles - all of which were driven quite enthusiastically. Not a single issue.

I put a few mods into the car (coilovers, headers, intake, tune, exhaust, chassis braces) and it really wakes the car up! Adds to the already nimble handling of this car.

Exterior has aged amazingly, and people are surprised that mine is 13 years old.

The engine bay is very easy to work on as well.

The comfort of a lexus with a great sporty touch. Smooth and quick-shifting automatic transmission with steering wheel controls. The steering wheel!! Concise, feels sexy, and no un necessary buttons to distract you. A very pure and connected driving experience. Handling is top notch, but a bit harsh even when I was on stock suspension.

While the seats are extremely comfortable, they get dirty easily. I have the beige interior option and it is high maintenance for sure. Replacing them with recaro bucket seats soon. Dash gets sticky and nasty in warm climates.

The best car I've ever owned.
By macvill

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Is300 is a great but rare mixture of sport, luxury, and reliability. I bought this car 2 years ago and the only maintenance performed was scheduled oil changes ($26 btw) and basic system flushes. The engine is smooth and the exhaust note is oh so pleasing to the ear especially in a parking garage. I found that the body aged well and I got compliments often. It's a "higher end" Toyota, but I'd definitely put it on the top of the list for a great used car.

The exhaust note is sex to the ears and much like the waters of the Caribbean, the stereo system is clear,crisp, and deep. I liked the ECT mode which made the transmission hold gears longer for optimized acceleration. There is a full size spare tire with tools (pliers, screwdrivers etc) that come stock with the car which is easily overlooked. It's the little things, friends.

If only it had about 50 or 60 more horsies and pounds of torque, I'd scream with joy. The rears seats did not fold which isn't terrible if you're an eligible bachelor/bachelorette. The 02 had a cheap velvet-like clothe on the doors and seats that got dirty easily and would break down over time. As you can probably guess, replacement parts are a bit expensive.