2018 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

THERE IS A REASON......
By Scott Ray

2018 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

.........Why the Kia Sorento gets such high marks for quality. I have owned this for three weeks and I am truly impressed with the level of finish and the outstanding quality of the vehicle. It's incredibly smooth and so quiet for an SUV. The 6 cylinder engine is a must for a mid-size AWD SUV such as this. The acceleration is great. And let's not forget the ten year powertrain warranty. My dealer actually DOUBLED it too. 20 years and 200K miles! I know that there are other dealers that do the same. It says a lot (to me) when a manufacturer has that much faith in their product. Thanks KIA!!!!!!

Our Second Sorento...Just Couldn't Resist
By Stephen Hendricks

2018 Kia Sorento SX Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

We had a 2012 Sorento that was mainly my wife's daily driver and the trip vehicle for our family of three plus our large dog. It had been a completely reliable ride for 70K miles but with so many safety improvements in recent years we felt it was time to look around again. We considered just about every SUV/Crossover with an MSRP of $50K or less. Frankly we couldn't find a better set of features, a more comfortable and quiet ride, and a "just right" size in any other vehicle. The excellent price combined with a generous trade-in at the local KIA dealer meant we came home with a 2018 SXL AWD model.

Luxury car without luxury badge
By Eric

2018 Kia Sorento SX Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

The Sorento is an outstanding SUV, especially for the price. I'm completely satisfied with my choice. Pros: The best infotainment system we saw. Everything is easy to use and it has Apple Carplay/Android Auto; Luxury interior; quiet ride; great adaptive cruise control; great safety technology; small footprint is easy to maneuver in urban parking lots. Cons: steering and handling is not sporty; third row access could be better; fuel economy is poor, especially relative to the wagon I had before; it's a handsome car but not exciting to look at; Kia doesn't have the cache of a luxury brand and many people still see it as a cheap car. In addition to the Sorento we test drove an Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, and Mazda CX-9. We originally thought we would get a luxury brand but decided the premium we would pay for the Audi could be used to fund some pretty nice vacations and the Sorento is close enough in quality that it wasn't worth an extra 20k. The Volvo is a beautiful car and not as expensive as the Audi, but the Kia drives better, has a better infotainment system and controls, and doesn't have all the reliability red flags. The Mazda is also sexier than the Kia but it also has some reliability issues, weaker technology, and no apple Carplay. Now that I have Apple Carplay I will never own a car without it again. My wife also hated the heads up display in the Mazda. Fuel economy: we live in a hilly urban area where we get 9 mpg city. With our 4 cylinder Acura wagon we were getting about 14 mpg city. On the highway, if I set cruise control to 70 mph I get 26-28 mpg.

Overall. nice and comfortable ride, but....
By SJ

2018 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second Sorento. Overall I like them both, but I hear a lot of air leaking in from the front passenger door or back passenger door, not sure which door. I made sure that I slammed the doors shut, but there is still a whistle of air coming from the doors. The door seals are tight, because there's no water leakage coming into the vehicle. I had a 5 passenger 2016 Sorento and bought a plastic cargo tray for the back. I was told that the cargo tray would fit the 7 passenger 2018 Sorento, THIS IS TOTALLY NOT THE CASE. I have to now cut and try to fit the cargo tray into the back of the vehicle. What a pain!!!!

Surprise!! It's a KIA!
By Mike McNamara

2018 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I usually buy a 2 year old car and drive it 8-10 years. So, I started a year ago looking for a replacement for a 2006 Lexus RX330. I wanted all the new safety devices. I loved the Lexus, but didn't like the newer "big mouth bass" look. So, the Highlander, Forrester and Sorento were the final 3 on my list. However, after driving the Sorento and being amazed at its Lexus-like comfort and quiet, but with better handling, I was sold. After an extensive Internet search, the 2016 Sorento I was considering was only $7000-8000 less than the deal we negotiated on a new 2018. So, I pulled the trigger on a new one! I've driven it under various road and weather conditions and am still amazed at what a terrific car it is. It has a little more space than the RX330, which is good for the volunteer work I do and it has the emergency 3rd row for the grand kids, although they stay stowed flat most of the time. The Apple Car-Play is a plus. So, if you're looking for that right-sized SUV and want great handling, quiet and comfort, you should drive a Sorento. It is also a lot less money than an RX350 or Highlander.