Skip to main content

11 reviews

Pricing

Edmunds suggests you pay
$30,570
Federal EV Tax Credit: not eligible The Wind trim does not qualify for the Clean Vehicle Credit.

Hatchback for Pragmatics

Wishing for a station wagon, 09/19/2023
updated 03/25/2024
2023 Kia Niro EV Wind 4dr SUV (electric DD)

In the absence of station wagons in the US market, this car is perfect for those who are pragmatic. It has enough space for a medium to large sized dog, plenty of space in the backseats, and driving can be anything from urban crawling to sporty enough. This is lower than SUVs, which is great because when you drive an EV you notice that wind resistance actually does matter. I got my Wind (which has more than enough features) with the Preserve package (heat pump / rear heated seats) and drove it off the lot (including registration) for 40,500. Compared to an ID.4 with similar features, it has a smaller cargo area, but is actually cheaper and is much more efficient. This must be one of the only cars where the EPA numbers are understimated. 3.4 miles/kwh I get when I have a roofbox on top and drive 60 mph. Or when you get on the interstate and go 70. Other than that, it is pretty impossible to get less than 4 m/kwh, which translates to an average range of +/- 300. The slow(er) charging speeds are not an issue for most people. I can live with that because I don't drive more than 300 miles in one stretch except a few times a year. Roundtrips to places 200 miles away are not an issue - just leave 45 minutes to charge it. So far charging mine at home with level 1, and it is absolutely sufficient. What you get instead is a smaller battery pack (thank you for saving lithium that you never would use) and an efficiency that makes people's head spin. A Rivian or a Hummer have less efficiency than my old Prius V - what's the point? I wish the backseat was adjustable forwards and backwards, and that the switch from navigation/media to climate control was not that sensistive - every time I try to turn down down or up the volume, I accidentally turn on auto climate control. That's it. I like the regen paddles - I drive my car kind of like a manual, which is great. The driving assists can get a bit annoying - lane keep works perfectly, but it comes on over 40 mph, which can get annoying - but all of that can be turned off or on in the car setup. For those who need a spare wheel, they are available on the aftermarket and fit in the back, under floor. This car simply works. I don't need more. Perfect. When you compare this car, be sure to compare efficiency and similar features. I wanted an ID.4, but I need a heat pump. I looked at the Aryia, but trunk space is not larger. I was looking at a Chevy, but I don't want a rectabgluar screen in a baroque rounded shape. I do not need an 800 volt system. I do not need to get to 60 in less than 7 seconds. Thanks, KIA, for makiing a practical, pragmatic car that has everything I need. Now, could someone please import a station wagon EV? Update after six months: Winter range (including intersate travela and snow tires) is still around 220 miles. Multiple road trips later, this is still a great car, and very efficient. With snow tires, and in cold temps, gets about 3.1-3.4 m/kw on the interstate (depending on wind). In the city, it gets routinely 4.5-5.2 m/kw without snow tires and in 50 F temps. Charging with preheating is still between 30 and 50 kw in the real cold. Not the quickest, but the efficiency makes up for it - running costs are excellent and much better than a large EV. Build quality is excellent, comfort is excellent. Still waiting for a station wagon EV. First one to import one, I will buy one. Looking at you, VW.

Super Car!

Martin Kron, 03/25/2023
2023 Kia Niro EV Wave 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I have my Niro EV Wave for 4 months. After 5,000 miles, I can say I am thrilled with this car. I have had no issues whatsoever. I was originally considering an EV6, but the rear visibility was a deal breaker. The Niro has excellent visibility all around. The seats are comfortable and Niro takes bumps and pot holes very well. The Harmon Kardon sound system is over the top. Tech is abundant, easy to learn and fun to use. Being able to heat/cool the car remotely is a very nice touch. The safety feature make this vehicle very compelling. Excellent heated seats and heated steering wheel. The EV range is 253, as advertised. The Niro is not the cheapest EV available, but you get a lot for the price. What's missing? Wireless Apple Car Play, a wireless hot spot and no AWD. Not issues for me. I highly recommend this car.

Kia Niro 2023, frugal but fun

Anton, 12/10/2023
2023 Kia Niro EV Wind 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I have had my 2023 Niro EV (Wind plus heat pack) for a year now. It has been a lot of fun and no problems I don’t understand Edmund’s comment about it not being as sporty as some. Transitioning from a Honda CRV it seems almost dangerously fast. Everything feels solid. Even the Wind trim version has lots of features. When I bought its tax credit status was unclear; in the end I didn’t get it. Too bad. But now you should be able to recoup some of that from the dealer. I paid $1,500 over MSRP; now try $3,000 below!

3 out of 5 stars

Lots of Tech on my Niro Hybrid

J R, 08/10/2023
updated 02/12/2024
2023 Kia Niro EV Wave 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I traded in my 2021 Niro for a 2023 Niro only because I loved the new redesign. What a mistake. I loved my 2021 and I hate the 2023 because of all the high tech and large touch screen. I hate touch screens. If I could find a new car today without a touch screen, I'd buy it in a minute. Don't get me wrong I've had a lot of comments about it's looks and I love the way it drives. I'm averaging 60.2 MPG. I love everything about the Niro except for the touch screen which is difficult to use.

My First EV

James, 07/27/2023
2023 Kia Niro EV Wave 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I test drove a few others, but the Niro was more fun to drive, and felt better to sit in. I'm excited for my first EV.