Used 1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

Used XJ-Series for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Super Vehicle

cwiningar, 03/12/2012
XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

This was my first Jaguar and has always been my dream car. I always joked that when I retired I would get a jaguar and guess what, I got one!! It has met every expectation I could of had. I have never driven a car so smooth and beautiful. I sure do get the looks and love every minute of it. I am averaging 26-28 MPG on the highway. I could not ask for a better car and I love love this one.

Always wanted a '98 Jaguar Vanden Plas

HOF III, 12/01/2006
Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

When Ford bought Jag in the mid 90s and made the improvements that had been a concern for previous Jag owners, I really got excited! I remember going to the dealership and seeing the '98 Vanden Plas in Pewter with oyster interior and thought it was the most beautiful car available at the time. I was fortunate to have some friends in the auto industry that go to auctions regularly and they came across a beauty in the Cabernet color with the oyster interior with all the options that had been immaculately cared for. I bought it from them and have had nothing but PURE enjoyment since. Rolls Royce is the only car that compares to the ride and comfort experience in my mind!

A Good Car for the Money

Brett , 08/08/2006
XJ8 4dr Sedan

For years, Jaguar has had a poor reputation for mechanical quality. However, in my experience, that has not been the case. I bought my 1998 Jaguar XJ8 as-is for about $11,000 with 72K miles. So far I have not had unexpected mechanichal problems, just routine work. I really enjoy the vehicle. The rapid depreciation of these vehicles, in large part due to Jaguars mechanical problems of the past, makes them very affordable for your average person. Just a couple of suggestions: 1) Buy 1998 or after- thats when electrical system was replaced by Ford, 2) Make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection, and 3) if you need to buy parts, go on ebay, since the Jaguar dealer markup is huge.

I will never buy another type of car

Iostream, 03/06/2002
Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have wanted a Jaguar for quite some time, and finally broke down and bought one. There is really nothing to dislike about the Vanden Plas. I am sold, I will never own another brand of car again.

Least reliable car I ever owned

worst car ever, 08/04/2006
XJ8 4dr Sedan

At 53,000 miles my engine failed $12,000 replacement. Jaguar offered no help, said my case was rare, but 6 mechanics said engine failures were common because of timing chain failures in engines from 1998-2002. 3 water pump failures (plastic parts). Transmission failed at 98,000. This car had 8 mechanical break downs. Maintence was $27,000. Plastic used where metal was needed.

12345...9