Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

Used Santa Fe for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

160,000 miles and going strong

A. Non, 11/25/2015
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car I have owned since brand new that has even come close to having over 150,000 miles on it and still runs. To date, other than preventative maintenance and normal wear and tear, I've had the following problems: At 40k miles, a torn CV joint boot (warranty repair); At 60k miles the timing belt required replacement per scheduled maintenance ($600 @ dealership, including water pump and belt tensioner as precautionary replacements); At 130k miles replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner again a little late to schedule ($300 by family mechanic); At 152,000 miles the switch for the cruise control broke ($30 / 15 minute repair by myself); At 155,000 miles the alternator war replaced (2 hours, $275 parts/labor at a local shop). When you think about it, the alternator was really wear and tear as they do not last forever. And that's it. 160k miles and about $300 worth of repairs, $30 if you exclude the alternator. I maintain it religiously and take care of little things before they become big things. We've gotten our money's worth from this vehicle and then some. We don't off-road it or mistreat it, but it is not pampered by any means.

Reliable, trouble free so far!

madmaxooohhh, 02/04/2013
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I just turned 95,000 miles on my 2004 Santa Fe. No problems so far except normal maintenance: windshield wiper blades every 2 years, tires every 4 years-usually worn out by then, change oil every 6 months or 6-7000 miles for conventional or 7-10000 miles on synthetic. I changed the transmission oil twice (drain and fill) at 40k miles, and again at 80k miles). Oh, I changed both front bulbs after one of the bulbs burned out at around 70k miles. Replaced front and rear brakes and rotors at 85k miles. I will do the timing belt sometime soon. No problems! Best car I have owned so far.

I miss my santa fe

johnpa2006, 08/10/2012
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Built solid, I loved my Santa Fe. engine purred like a kitten from mile zero all the way up to 142000 miles when I traded it in. Bought in 2004, traded in 2008 I still regret trading it in to this day. So many practical use reasons to own a Santa Fe.

2004 hyundai Sante Fe paint problems

lorie920, 09/14/2013
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new in 2004. It has plenty of room for passengers and plenty of cargo room. The car has great power on take off. The biggest issue I have is they use bad paint. These hyundai's are peeling and fading. This in itself is why I won't buy the new 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe.

Sensor Issues

incubritt2010, 06/27/2011
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Santa Fe with 68,000, and after 4 other lemons before that, I figured this car would be my knight in shining armor. So, naturally, the transmission went out 6 months after I bought it. Now a year and half later, it just wouldn't start one day. Long story short, I've now replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and low and behold, this morning I went to start it and its running crappy still and trying to die on me, obviously not trustworthy. The mechanics are stumped, and so am I. If this happens to you, the code reads, "Fuel temp sensor", get ready for a domino effect of electrical problems that mechanics won't be able to pinpoint.

Lived to tell about it!!!

Jana, 10/09/2008
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Recently my daughter and I were in an accident with my 2004 Santa Fe which I was the driver my daughter the passenger. 3 vehicles were involved all of which were totaled off. The driver of the vehicle which hit us lost control and landed on my Santa Fe and rolled off, literally tearing open the drivers side and pushing us into another vehicle which stopped us from rolling into traffic.The accident reconstruction police team visited us at the hospital at which time they told us that had we been in any other vehicle the chances of the accident being fatal would have been much higher as the Santa Fe is designed to crumble around us in an accident and has the best accident ratings.Thank you Hyundai!

Best Car ever owned

Westpalmer, 06/02/2010
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I mentioned Hyundai to some guys I get the rolling eyes and the standard remarks, cheap, non performing, low ratings etc. I bought my Santa Fe new after much fighting with my hubby who wanted me to buy anything but that. Well, my car has a 155,000 miles and other than regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance (which I performed faithfully at the dealership), the only out of warranty repair I had was a new battery at 101,000 miles and a broken power steering container at 107,000 miles. It's a perfect vehicle for busy families. It's comfortable in the front and back and the back holds plenty of luggage and supplies. The money I saved was used on vacations with my family!

Best car I've ever had

Bruce, 08/18/2010
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My six year old Santa Fe has 150,000 miles on it and it still has the original BF Goodrich tires on it, original front brakes. I replaced the rear pads and rotors in March 2010. I have always used synthetic oil and have had no problems with the engine at all. Average 22 MPG. I have had two problems. I have replaced the headlight and fog light bulbs four or five times, and the car has developed a short in the electronic odometer. Otherwise, I have had no problems with this car and have spent next to nothing on it.

who would have thought???

Paul, 11/14/2006
LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am an avid car enthusiat who has subscriptions to all the major mags. I do a lot of homework before purchasing a vechile. My wife and I needed to downsize from our Durango so I started looking at the usual suspects (Escape, Liberty,etc). I came across the Sante Fe by mistake. I took all 3 for test drives and the Sante Fe just blew them away! I couldn't belive this was the same Hyundai that was the joke of the auto industry 10 yrs ago. You simply can't beat the value they offer. I have the 3.5L motor and it's awesome. I also have a modified Ford Lightning and an 05 Stang GT so I know about performace. It may not be the best looking SUV on the road, but it can't be beat for the money.

Too big for just me

Linda Richards, 03/28/2017
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My car drive's great. Easy to park.Sits up higher than a car,so visibility is great. The back seat has a stow away Childs seat. It's just me now that my husband passed away and the kids are all grown up. So I want to down size.

After a year....a good choice

Luisito, 12/19/2004
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After a year, my Santa Fe has been extremely reliable. The power from the 3.5 is adequate if not outstanding. The engine is "silky-smooth" and not noisy. I like the interior design as it is very ergonometric and almost everything is accessible.The brakes and stopping distance are very good for this type of SUV. The A/C design is perfect for me and my family, as the vents are out of your face and we truly like that.

Chirp has always served me well!

catt33, 07/15/2011
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, I named my Santa Fe "Chirp". It has been a great vehicle. I bought it used in 06 and until this year, only needed routine maintenance (Crank Shaft Sensor went out in March). I just rolled over to 90,000 miles last week and I am looking forward to many more miles with Chirp!

LOVE GROWN COLD

Linda L. Evans, 07/28/2015
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Oh the tears I have shed. I have owned two of these vehicles. One was 3.4 v6 and the one I have now is 2.7 v6. I truly loved this car enough to purchase my second one. I didn't drive my first one but for 30,000 miles. It had 67,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I have been very happy with the vehicle and would have purchased a third one had I not lost my career employment. I drove over 1,000 miles per week so went through 100,000 mile warranty in two years or so. It has been a mechanically sound vehicle until the latter years. I have experienced power steering going out, while driving in the rain, and no one can find why it does that. Now I can't use the hand operated door open and lock because it triggers something to do with the parking lights or signal lights not sure which, coming on and won't go off. I can hear a ticking sound like the signal lights. When this happens and I do not realize it the car is dead the next morning and I have to jump it. Plus the automatic lock feature is not a good idea. The seats are not that good. They were hard when I bought the car new and they are hard now 11 years later. Now the paint is peeling off on the hood and the clear coat is coming off in other places causing the paint to peel. On the hood the paint was peeled by a hard rain, not hail, but rain. It peeled on the hood on each side and in the same place on each side. Strange to say the least. The clear coat had not come off on the hood but paint still peeled. I have persuaded a few friends to purchase this car because of its performance which I can say is the best on the highway. But now that they have seen how my paint has done they are reconsidering. This was to be my last car because now I am old and unemployed and can't purchase another car. I was so proud of the one I have now because I took care of it. It still looked in appearance nice enough, but now is an atrocity from the paint peeling. I could cry a lot over this. Now the vehicle I once loved has turned cold like the car. T

Still strong

Jay, 04/12/2016
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot really give a long term review as I have had the same 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe since new and I only have 77 thousand miles on it. I live on Oahu so travel is short no matter where you go. I commute 16 miles a day and have every day since I owned it. I did replace the power steering pump that seems to be a Hyundai problem that is fairly common, serpentine belt which is just good maintenance and proper oil and fluid changes to transmission, power steering and brakes and cooling. The cabin has one flaw, the plastic dash and various parts chirp from bad fits and lack of insulation. Always has been that way. Other than that, I keep it covered both at home in a car port and in an underground garage and always have, perhaps that is why I have no paint issues at all. I hand wash it and always have since Oahu has no public spray wash booths, this seems to have given the paint a long lease on life. The only real issue is that it is realiable enough to get bored with it after so many years. To add, I have since traded the car, but I did have ongoing front end issues, alignment, and knocking and rattling of bushing or parts became very noticable due to age and the repairs costing more than the value of the vehicle. It was a solid, basic transport that ran great and reliably, but did have other suspension issues.

Dead car in middle of freeway

woman, 06/18/2010
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A few days ago my car lost all power while driving on the freeway at night. The car has been acting up now for about 5 months, maybe more. while driving, sometimes, with my foot on the accelerator the car looses all RPM then after about three seconds it comes back to normal. It happens all over, on the freeway to neighborhoods at 10 miles an hour. But A few days ago at night the car did its no RPM thing then died. all lights turned on. And now, two mechanics shops cannot tell what is wrong with it. (one had a reading about transmission) but then the transmission place can't get the same reading.

Not a bad car at all!

jourdanrose, 09/06/2003
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The pick up on highways is awful! City driving is just fine. My very tall children fit quite nicely in the back seat and the drivers seat is spacious and comfortable. I have the v6 model and the gas milage is average. I also purchased the full 10/100,000 warranty and for a single mom it gives me peace of mind.

What A Lemon!!!!!! I will never own another Hyundai

kylemack, 11/07/2012
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had 3 transmissions replaced, timing belt, power window motors replaces... and not to mention all the cheap little plastic parts braking and cheap chrome pealing off. Not only does this tin can want to make me never own another hyundia agian but makes me want to just ride a bike. OH And The Side airbag went off while i was driving down the road, no accident or anything. I called hyundai and they said it would all be out of my pocket to fix and that I should call my insurance and insurance said they cant do anything about it because there was no accident. Hyundai support was a bunch of run arounds and not helpful at all. I will never buy another Hyundai. What a money pit!

Love the car - but now it's a beater...

leftoverchef, 07/25/2012
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I've had the car since brand new and have loved it. I haven't been too punctual with the routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.) and the car still has performed well (until recently, but more on that later). I made it to 100k miles on the original clutch - which is a record for me. I didn't even replace the timing belt until 110k miles! The only problem I really have had with it has been a faulty clutch pedal sensor when we bought it - and a crank-shaft position sensor that died just before i replaced the timing belt. That said - recently the Catalytic converter broke and the Exhaust manifold cracked - a $2600 repair - but my son will pay that to buy it from me instead!

My "new" old ride

Melanie Altmeyer, 05/08/2017
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this suv so far. I've had it about 1 month. It looks and rides like a brand new car and one that would cost a lot more. No one believed me when I told them my "new" car was actually 13 years old. It only had 50,000 miles on it, so with Hyundai 100,000 warranties, I'm hoping to have it for a very long time. It has great acceleration and gas mileage. The seats and ride are very comfortable. Only thing I don't like is the wind noise when windows are down and moonroof is open. I'm hoping window vent guards will help.

2004 Base Santa Fe

SanDiegoRN, 08/25/2009
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the base, manual, without a lot of bells and whistles because I wanted a manual, not an automatic. My gas mileage is probably better because of this varying from 24-28 mpg depending on how much city driving I do. On trips hwy mileage can even approach 30 mpg. I had a problem with the check engine light for the first couple of years d/t accelerator sensor position problems, but o/w very reliable. Just had to have the crankshaft sensor (and accelerator sensor) replaced as it caused the vehicle to quit completely, but overall I am very, very happy with it. Scratches do tend to occur in parking lots. Very comfortable and I want to keep this till it stops running completely.

Nine years and 150,000 miles later.....

cshaw22, 09/04/2013
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Santa Fe new in 2004. After 150,000 miles, it has spent more time broken than any car I have ever owned. Since new we have replaced the crank sensor 6 times, the throw-out bearing grenaded taking the clutch with it, the radiator disintegrated, the cat converter burned out, the power steering pump shaft broke, etc,etc. The tranny has been solid as many times I was able to restart by downshifting and popping the clutch which made the tranny scream but got me to the house. I bought an extended warranty which paid for itself many times over. It rides and drives great but breaks down too often. No longer my daily driver, but still my beater as it hauls a lot of stuff, when it runs.

Disappointed

Disappointed, 05/23/2009
LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 18 months, having bought it used with 20,500 miles on it.It now has 49,000 miles and I just picked it up from the dealership from having the transmission replaced. The check engine light, is always on, and it didn't fail me today, 8 miles from the dealership (where they also fixed a vacuum problem to correct the CEL), it was on again. I had high hopes for this car, but after being in the dealership at least 8 times in 18 months (CEL and tranny issues), I no longer have any hopes for it. Although I love the style and size, it gets fairly decent gas mileage and it rides nice, those things just do not make up for the mechanical problems and being w/o my car.

Great

Ric Riel, 11/15/2003
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

A great ride with the peace of mind of a great warranty. Has get up and go and was a pleasant drive on our 4000 mile vacation this summer. Zipped up the mountains of the northeast and flew thru the highways of the south. I'm hooked for life.

Santa Fe vs. Escape

Bridge, 02/14/2004
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I spent three weeks doing our homework on small SUV'S. Our criteria were mpg, monthly payments, and quality. We had a great deal for the Escape, but eventually decided on purchasing the Santa Fe due to a much classier/comfortable interior and a greater list of overall standard options. Seating in the Hyundai was much more comfortable and plush. In the end, we have a much higher quality vehicle with a stronger warranty. Hyundai apparently is following Honda's initial footsteps by increasing quality or losing the American market. Five years ago, I would not have even considered a Hyundai.

Hyundai still surprises me

snowman_201, 01/03/2005
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 Hyundai's so far. I keep waiting for something bad to happen to them like everyone wants. All I know is this, I buy them because of their ausume warranties and never have to take them in... It's crazy, I've owned Lincolns, Cadillacs, even a 328 BMW. The only vechicle that can compare to the quality of my Hyundai are my Toyotas. Reliability the same, great, but Toyota quality still tops the list with Lexus. But, my Tundra 4 door 4x4 cost almost twice what my wife's Santa Fe cost.... You do the math.....

Well Built Vehicle

Sunnil, 09/13/2006
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Needed to upgrade to a larger vehcile for a growing family and with the help of all of the reviews on this site I found the Santa Fe the most functional of all the compact-midsize people movers out there. This suv maneuvers very well, stands tall enough to see over the traffic without having bad blind spots. Easy to park, entry/exit is good and love the cargo space for all of the required baby gear my wife and I need to haul around. I bought this vechile pre-owned, and with the gas prices falling, we're getting about 20.5mpg in mix driving, I definitly recommend this Hyundai to any small family looking for a good price on a suv with sound quality, safety and long list of std features.

I can't wait to trade in my Santa Fe

Shane, 08/12/2017
LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would not recommend buying this vehicle. The car has many leaks such as the power steering fluid and the A/C refrigerant. I constantly am buying more fluid for the car. Every summer I have to recharge the A/C. My headlights are faded and my car is slightly rusted. The seats aren't very supportive. The dealer offers $816 to trade it in. The car does not get very good fuel economy. I hate my Santa Fe

Extremely exciting

EValverde, 01/06/2005
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In the 4 months since I bought it with 59 miles I've logged almost 12,000 miles. Easy to manuever. Great braking response on wet weather conditions.

Tried and true friend!

Lisa, 05/18/2009
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my car four years, 25,000 miles. It has always been reliable, never one problem. I was in an accident two years ago and had the front-end rebuilt. I anticipated problems, and still nothing! I traded cars for a day recently, and I really missed my sweet little Santa Fe! I do mostly city driving, but did take a road trip (10 hours each way) to the desert. She was a stellar off-road performer.

My Hyundai Nightmare

Ed K, 10/28/2009
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 2 Santa Fe's (2001 & 2004). Both had engine failures and had to have their small blocks replaced at around 60,000 miles. Both failed on the freeway. Both had all their regularly scheduled maintenance performed by the book. These 2 freeway failures placed me in very serious safety conditions. The 2004 failed at night in the middle of the Arizona Desert- I was driving at 70 mph when the engine lost power & made a terrible noise. I end up getting towed over 150 miles to Hyundai Dealer. Small block failed (60,068 miles – 68 miles past the warranty). Hyundai initially refused to pay for the repair; but, after a tremendous amount of effort on my part; they finally cover 30%

My Santa Fe

Liz, 03/17/2010
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Santa Fe for (4) years and overall it has been a good experience. The vehicle has been reliable with no major maintenance work required. It is fun to drive and just as stylish as some of the more expensive SUV's on the road. My ownership experience was always very good when I dealt with Arnold Hyundai never had a problem. I went to Suburban Hyundai in Troy, MI after Arnold Hyundai moved far from my home. I do not like that dealership, so back to Arnold (Victory) Hyundai I go!

A Great Vehicle

HyScott, 03/27/2010
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I do owe this car a hand. It has been a really great economical and reliable car. We have always had either European luxury cars or GM SUVs so this car had a lot against it to impress me. This was my first car and definitely not my last Hyundai. They handle VERY well and are extremely easy to drive and operate. The interior is bland but has some accents that set it above GM and Toyota. All of the V6 Santas have leather wrapped steering wheels and gear selectors, many other marks don’t. The sound system is surprisingly good and will blow away any base system on other marks. The manual mode on the transmission is GREAT, and I love how they went the extra mile on it.

Best SUV for the Money

DonP, 11/29/2003
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I researched all the available SUV's that I could get for less than $30k. The Santa Fe is a solid car with many features that I like. So far no major problems at 17,000 miles. I did have to have it into the dealer FOUR times for emission problems. RV mirror came loose, and rear window defroster does not work. LIKE: Good power, solid handling, many features such as heated seats, sun roof. DISLIKE: Door arm rest are hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. Why? Horizontal buttons on the console are too easy to push accidentally - very irritating. Rear seats do not fold down flat, reducing utility.

My First SUV

jonabgood, 10/29/2005
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first SUV, my prior veh was much smaller. This is easy to get in and out of, great for grocery shopping and hauling kids around. The seats could be a little more comfortable for long trips. Overall, I stay local with the car and absolutely love it!

The Best SUV EVER!

MissGimpie, 02/05/2004
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Santa Fe! My parents have one, and when I was looking for a new car, I thought nothing else besides buying my very own one. GO BUY ONE!

Can't Believe It

DC Lee, 02/08/2004
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 8000 miles car broke down in bad weather. Roadside service very good for tow. After 2 trips to dealer and 11 days I finally got the car back. Needed a new engine module. Am fearful of breakdown now. Also had to have cloth seat rep[lace as it tore at the seems. Also do not like breaking feel. Wish i had bought ABS. This car will not get old with me

We Love our Sante Fe

sabbybg, 02/21/2004
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my wifes vehicle and her 3rd Hyundai. She reports that this is the best vehicle,meaning safety and fun to drive, than any other we have had. I am so impressed with the Sante Fe, that I will no longer buy my Sable LS and want a Sante Fe as well.And I have never liked SUV's. I have always been a sedan guy.Imagine my surprise.This is a great vehicle and you cannot beat the warranty.As a loyal customer, my wife was actually able to get a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage. Talk about Driving without worries.

Love mine!

mommy2zoe, 02/28/2004
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is an afforadble car that is so worth the money! It's roomy and comfortable and fun to drive!

Not happy

Someone123, 05/13/2004
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a very bad experience. I have owned my vehicle for not even 2 months and it has been in the shop twice. I've had parts go bad already and warning lights have come on. Personally, I will not buy a this make and model again.

Nice Ride

SWMan, 06/05/2004
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good value. Smooth ride and much quieter than our Ford Windstar. One problem with putting it in park (started rolling a couple of times). Hyundai rep told me that they can be difficult to put in park.

Sadly Disapointed

jlb, 07/10/2004
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Sante Fe since April 2002. So far it's been back at Fairfax Hyundai for the following 3 times for transmission problems. I would be on the highway and the damn thing would stop accelerating. The air conditioning keeps going out. It's been in the shop 3 times for that and it's doing it again. Now my speedometer as stopped working and no mileage accumulates. I had it in 2 times for the vibrations underneath the drivers seat. Also, when I bought Hyundai advertised a certain size engine only to find out that a class action law suit was filed because the size engine was advertised incorrectly.

Owner with great satisfaction

rehargy, 09/27/2004
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A great vehicle to drive, comfortable seating both front and rear seats.Good handling and reliability to the nth degree.Great visibility in side mirrors and rear view mirror.

The Best Car/experience

Sue in A.J. AZ, 11/09/2004
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love this SUV!!! Apache Junction, AZ Hyundai is the BEST! Marshall made the buying experience the BEST!! I smile every time I get in this car. The service has been excellent at the dealership. The car is comfortable and very responsive on the road. I do very much freeway driving and I feel safe in my Santa Fe. I would have sworn I would never own a SUV until I drove the Santa Fe. It drives and feels like a luxury car.

Marion Miller

K.Miller, 12/11/2004
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a handy little car to run errands, yet big enough to handle 5 people. Easy to park. Has a snappy engine for quick take off.

Solid Vehicle for the Price

gunlockjs, 01/06/2005
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This Sante Fe is well equipped for the price and a good bargain. With the 3.5 V6, it has adequate power for hills and interstate driving. I test drove the smaller engines and recommend the 3.5 V6. The initial check of gas mileage was 21mpg @ 75mph on interstate driving. We bought the Sante Fe for my wife to drive to work in northern Minnesota and it works well in bad weather, handling 6 inches of fresh snow with no trouble.

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Review

DG, 04/23/2005
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very well built. Good performance from 2.7 litre V6 engine.

I'll trade for a good used car

JL Williams, 12/24/2004
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Well, it's almost an ok car, but... I heavily researched the car before even going to look at one. On paper it looked great. I bought it in late October, 2004. EPA mpg ratings are 17-20 mpg city driving and that is what it has gotten: anywhere between 20 and 16.6 mpg from one tank-up to the next - that's 15-20% difference between tanks. Literally, I have gone from 20 to 16.6 - 17 mpg in one tank full - twice. Despite being an SUV, half the drivers in my family cannot drive it. One family member is very overweight and, tho she fits in a Toyota Camry just fine, the Hyundai seat will not go back far enough, nor will the steering wheel adjust enough th

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

ANDREW, 11/04/2008
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I love this vehicle. Great value for the money. We got it new from factory only 6 miles on it. Great for traveling and long trips. We have auto transmission, as well as the space is great especially for a man who is bigger like me. It has some pep for a 4 cyl and gas mi is about what I'd expect. It even comes with a 1st aid kit and full size spare is great. I get regular oil changes and have not had one major issue except for the common ones.. Tires, brakes etc. Would not trade my vehicle in for anything. Got extended warranty (value?) for 7/100.

2000 miles a month cant be wrong

ksuwildcat daddy, 11/30/2003
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Idrive alot 2k a month and all over while i am 6'5 the vehicle was not designed with me in mind but to hop in and go 375 miles in a few hours i find to be better than my old 4-runner and it gets better mileage to i would reccomend this vehicle to anyone who wanrs quality with a great warranty and great value for the dollar

Everyone needs a Hyundai

Kendra, 01/25/2006
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am a college student and my Hyundai is good on fuel and the price is not so bad. I can have a comfortable and nice SUV and still have a little money left for tuition.

12345...9