Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

Used Santa Fe for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...88

Pros
Cons

After a year....a good choice

Luisito, 12/19/2004
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After a year, my Santa Fe has been extremely reliable. The power from the 3.5 is adequate if not outstanding. The engine is "silky-smooth" and not noisy. I like the interior design as it is very ergonometric and almost everything is accessible.The brakes and stopping distance are very good for this type of SUV. The A/C design is perfect for me and my family, as the vents are out of your face and we truly like that.

Chirp has always served me well!

catt33, 07/15/2011
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, I named my Santa Fe "Chirp". It has been a great vehicle. I bought it used in 06 and until this year, only needed routine maintenance (Crank Shaft Sensor went out in March). I just rolled over to 90,000 miles last week and I am looking forward to many more miles with Chirp!

LOVE GROWN COLD

Linda L. Evans, 07/28/2015
GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Oh the tears I have shed. I have owned two of these vehicles. One was 3.4 v6 and the one I have now is 2.7 v6. I truly loved this car enough to purchase my second one. I didn't drive my first one but for 30,000 miles. It had 67,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I have been very happy with the vehicle and would have purchased a third one had I not lost my career employment. I drove over 1,000 miles per week so went through 100,000 mile warranty in two years or so. It has been a mechanically sound vehicle until the latter years. I have experienced power steering going out, while driving in the rain, and no one can find why it does that. Now I can't use the hand operated door open and lock because it triggers something to do with the parking lights or signal lights not sure which, coming on and won't go off. I can hear a ticking sound like the signal lights. When this happens and I do not realize it the car is dead the next morning and I have to jump it. Plus the automatic lock feature is not a good idea. The seats are not that good. They were hard when I bought the car new and they are hard now 11 years later. Now the paint is peeling off on the hood and the clear coat is coming off in other places causing the paint to peel. On the hood the paint was peeled by a hard rain, not hail, but rain. It peeled on the hood on each side and in the same place on each side. Strange to say the least. The clear coat had not come off on the hood but paint still peeled. I have persuaded a few friends to purchase this car because of its performance which I can say is the best on the highway. But now that they have seen how my paint has done they are reconsidering. This was to be my last car because now I am old and unemployed and can't purchase another car. I was so proud of the one I have now because I took care of it. It still looked in appearance nice enough, but now is an atrocity from the paint peeling. I could cry a lot over this. Now the vehicle I once loved has turned cold like the car. T

Still strong

Jay, 04/12/2016
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot really give a long term review as I have had the same 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe since new and I only have 77 thousand miles on it. I live on Oahu so travel is short no matter where you go. I commute 16 miles a day and have every day since I owned it. I did replace the power steering pump that seems to be a Hyundai problem that is fairly common, serpentine belt which is just good maintenance and proper oil and fluid changes to transmission, power steering and brakes and cooling. The cabin has one flaw, the plastic dash and various parts chirp from bad fits and lack of insulation. Always has been that way. Other than that, I keep it covered both at home in a car port and in an underground garage and always have, perhaps that is why I have no paint issues at all. I hand wash it and always have since Oahu has no public spray wash booths, this seems to have given the paint a long lease on life. The only real issue is that it is realiable enough to get bored with it after so many years. To add, I have since traded the car, but I did have ongoing front end issues, alignment, and knocking and rattling of bushing or parts became very noticable due to age and the repairs costing more than the value of the vehicle. It was a solid, basic transport that ran great and reliably, but did have other suspension issues.

Dead car in middle of freeway

woman, 06/18/2010
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A few days ago my car lost all power while driving on the freeway at night. The car has been acting up now for about 5 months, maybe more. while driving, sometimes, with my foot on the accelerator the car looses all RPM then after about three seconds it comes back to normal. It happens all over, on the freeway to neighborhoods at 10 miles an hour. But A few days ago at night the car did its no RPM thing then died. all lights turned on. And now, two mechanics shops cannot tell what is wrong with it. (one had a reading about transmission) but then the transmission place can't get the same reading.

12345...88