Used 1998 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

1998 Coupe with Sport-shift Auto
By Dan E.

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This car is a classic now and it still looks and runs great for a 20yr old car. The A/C functions great (very cold!) and the engine has no major issues. The car is pretty light and low to the ground so it handles very well. The seats are ok, comfortable for normal driving but may get uncomfortable on long drives. Back seat is very limited, but will fit adults less than 6ft. Interior materials (dash, carpet, upholstery) have held up well for a car that is 2 decades old; mine still looks perfect. It can fit a child car seat in the back if needed; I have one for my 3yr old nephew in the back.

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR: These engines are known to burn oil (this is normal on some older cars), so stay on top of oil changes and maintenance. You may need to add a quart of oil or more between oil changes. The Auto transmission may fail if car is abused/raced or neglected. Keep up with maintenance and drive it easy, you'll be fine. Manual transmission should have no issues if you know how to drive. **Update: My car started to leak a little oil from under the engine. This could be isolated to my car only. So that is another thing to look for when buying this car. Check underneath the car if there's any visible oil leaks; could be from a gasket, etc. It does not affect the car's drivability but you will need to get it checked/fixed by a mechanic to stop the oil leak. I also replaced the radiator due to a crack/leak in the old one but this is a wear item. Overall the car still runs well. Just monitor if your car (or one you're looking to buy) has any oil leaks.

Ode to my Prelude
By Steve McKenzie

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This is a great handing sports coupe, not a lot of room in the back seat, OK trunk, great fun to drive and a great engine. I still love my Prelude almost 19 yrs of fun and reliability, And that wonderful engine still sings.

honest 1998 honda prelude review
By wuhantang

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

i've owned the car for 2 years, bought it at 200,000km and drove it till 280,000km.

as with all cars with high mileage, you must look at what the previous owners did for maintence. in the case of my prelude, EVERYTHING started to break down from leaking raditors to starter problems. My cost of ownership was high, BEWARE its hard to find a prelude that is in good condition.

Great car!
By josh1189

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Prelude Base Coupe 4sp. manumatic with 74K miles on it in 2006 as my first car. LOVED it! It was the best car I ever owned. In the year that I had it, I only replaced the O2 sensor. Not bad. The reason I had to get rid of it? It cost me too much to keep it. I was only 17, not making much money and couldn't afford the low profile tires (stock wheels, mind you), the premium fuel and, of course, the insurance company ate me alive. I didn't do my homework before I bought it. So, if you can afford the cost of ownership, this will be a great car.

Style, performance, decent sound system.

Premium fuel is no bueno...

As Honest as I can write...
By darealreview

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 256000km's (159000 miles) on the car and finally bought a new car. It currently has 320000 kms (199000 miles). I'll be honest, Ive never driven a brand new Prelude, but from what I can see, considering the milage was high, it still booted, vtec'd, and sound like a fast sportscar. from 256000 to 320000 kms, i only worried about oil changes and gas. i had a couple of small things that had to be changed - fan belt, rotors, and exhaust. These are all 'maintenance' issues. This car is a soldier, and I abused the hell out of the car, and it just wont die. It is rusty as hell, and so now that I bought my new car, my prelude satisfies the carefree in me.

vtec, and cable throttle (not stupid dbw throttle).

This car is no longer being produced, so commenting on an improvement would prove futile!