Used 2002 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

Used Civic for Sale
Select your model:
12345...69

Pros
Cons

Don't Believe all the Hype

Gabriel Welch, 12/18/2016
EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Honda Civic EX with 148,000 miles from a private seller. It seemed like a good deal at the time but a few weeks after purchase things began going wrong. The handling was non existent. Braking was poor. Suspension was stiff. Technology or lack thereof was unreliable. The ride was extremely uncomfortable. The list goes on. I didn't expect much from a used car with high mileage but this was too much for me. I've never had so many things inevitably go wrong on a vehicle. Keeping up with regular maintenance just wasn't enough for this thing. Bad tie rods, tie rod ends, timing belt, water pump, brakes, AC, coolant system, head gasket, everything that shouldn't have gone wrong did. The only thing that made driving this car bearable was the amount of money I saved on gas. The Civic truly is a gas saver. Needless to say I sold my Civic with 156,000 miles and bought something newer.

Hold on to one if you can

indylta, 01/30/2011

Great car. I had 130k on mine when some very poor driver ran into me and totalled it. Man, I know I had another 150k to get out of it. It is noisy at high speeds, but show me a car in its class that isn't. I drive 50% highway and averaged 37 mpg over the life of the car. I'm 5-11 with longer legs and didn't have comfort issues. My friend who is 6-5 did. If you want a reliable, efficient car that will last you until your tired of driving it and then some, stick with the Honda. I wouldn't recommend it if you are bothered by noise at >80mph (mostly wind).

Honda = Chrysler now

Honda NoGood NoMore, 06/03/2008

Purchased new with 6 miles on it and drove it for 5 years (80,000) miles. Reliability and Honda service was terrible. At 35,400 miles, third gear synchro went out on manual transmission. I have been driving manuals for 25 years and I have a CDL and I never burned out a clutch or damaged a tranny. Fixed under warranty but never shifted right again (grinded and clunked when going into gear) and shifter was VERY stiff and VERY difficult to down shift. Took back 4 times and dealer said it was fine!? Called Honda Corporate and wrote letters, no help at all. All 4 struts went out at 40,000 miles too ($1300). Road noise terrible, factory tires rated worst on tirerack and hydroplaned very badly.

New '02 Civic Si Hatchback ROCKS!!!

Eric Smith, 04/18/2002

After seeing the demise of the Civic Hatch, I was thinking about picking up a used Hatchback DX or CX from the dealer.... but you can't find them! Honda Hatchback owners are SO LOYAL it isn't even funny!! What can I say... The Rally stick is awsome, the car is fast and handles beautifully, even at 130MPH !!! It looks awsome too!!!! (Especially on the inside). Take a test drive, you won't regret it... Oh, word is there will only be 18,000 of them made/sold in the US, then the Hatch's may be gone for good this time! Pick one up now!!! (BTW, most dealer are tacking on an addt'l $1000 for the privlidge of buying one!)

Dependable Friend in the Garage

herman_wiegman, 01/10/2013

The Honda Civic is one of the best expressions of the economy sedan. The basic concept of offering as much room as possible to the passengers, while also providing fuel economy and nimbleness is well served by the Honda Civic.

12345...69