Used 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

Good truck
By drenski

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this older Duramax SLT 4x4 truck for over a year now and it has been pretty good. The only issues I've had with this truck that are not operator caused are I had a few bearings go out in the belt pullies, alternator bit the dust and the Hydroboost had to be replaced. All of these I was able to do myself with minimal effort. There were some other things that needed repair but those were not the truck's fault. It IS an older truck. Everything else seems to be fine. The engine is strong and the Allison tranny works great. I'm overall happy with the truck. I just wish the cab was a bit more polished. I bought the truck to pull and it does it well.

Follow up review. The truck is still chugging along just fine. I had a rear drive shaft seal where it goes into the diff, go bad. Also, I forgot to change my fuel filter which caused the truck to perform a bit poorly however, after looking over the forums and remembering I needed to change it, the truck now drives good. Other than that, it hasn't changed. Things are good. 191k miles.

Follow up review. I sold the truck a year ago. A few months before that I had to replace the ball joints which cost me over $1000. Ouch! I then noticed it started to blow some black smoke when shifting down while towing the trailer. I read many forums stating that blowing the smoke was normal and some said it was abnormal. The exhaust system is stock as far as I know. The truck seemed to run fine and was as strong as ever. I became a bit worried about having to replace the injectors. This, along with the possible need for a steering box replacement and a few other nickel dime things caused me to make the decision to sell it and put the possible "fix it" money towards a new (to me) truck. I think it was about 195k on the miles.

Best GMC I have owned
By Great truck, Rich

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

End of year clearance when I bought it. I got a good deal. I use it for work and hauling a 5th wheel camper. You hardly know you have the camper behind it. It is a pleasure to drive and with nearly 90k miles it is rattle free and quiet. The long bed makes towing a pleasure. The 4 wheel disks brakes are3 greatpaired with the ABS, I still have more than half the pads left, my other car is a Ford ambulance, I'll take the GMC any day over the Ford, Dodge is noisy and only has short beds with the crew cab. I'm planing on a new GMC soon with a few more bells and whistles.

The steady ride I get with the long bed and the Duramax diesel that starts in the coldest weather. That seems to be just braking in now. And did I say it was quiet?

The same as all trucks, better fuel economy. I would like to see the fuel filter more accessible, I'm sure there is more but I can't think of them now.

2002 Gmc Duramax, 4wd Crew Cab
By Rich Hartmann

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best trucks I have owned. I have had no problems whatsoever. the biggest repair (only repair) was a universal joint. I tow a 5th wheel camper and am quite satisfied with the performance. Braking is smooth and sure in all conditions, the 4 wheel disk brakes still have a long way to go when checked at 80+k miles. I do my own maintenance and have crawled under and around this truck and I am impressed with it's sturdiness and build quality. It has what appears to be one of the most massive frames in any similar truck I've looked at. I like everyone else would like to see better fuel economy. I would like to see an easier to change fuel filter. Yes I will buy another GMC, probably in 0

Appearance width and stability, the antilock 4 wheel disk brakes, don't need a step ladder to get into the 4wd truck. A real truck with a solid frame. A great tow vehicle.

Fuel economy (All trucks) More accessable maitainence (fuel filters) and such. Don't make it look like a Japanese truck or Dodge. Teach the dealers to properly service diesel trucks.

DMAX
By Herc

I have put 52000 miles on this truck
and it has performed well. I had a few
problems at first but the only problem
I still have is the AC. The AC still
does not blow cold off and on during
the summer. Been in 6 times for it now
it is out of warrantee.
I tow a 5th wheel rv and a 36' flat bed
trailer and it does supurb.

DMAX, Allison Trans, Seats

Overhead console is pretty much usless, rearview mirror does not go dark enough or fast enough, larger standard tires.

Great overall family truck
By Mark Danley

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been an exceptional truck,
plenty of power and quiet for a diesel.
much quieter than either the Dodge or
Ford. A very comfortable truck to
drive. We pull a 10,000 lb 5th wheel
and it pulls with little effort.

Great styling, generous power

Fuel mileage could be improved.