Used 2003 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 375 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Tough to beat these old Mustangs for cheap fun!
By Matt Savino

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Traded my 2002 Honda Civic sedan with just over 220k miles even up for this car (with 125k miles) about a year ago and couldn't be happier with my decision. Mustangs (and American cars in general) get a bad rap for being unreliable, but I've had no issues with mine whatsoever other than minor interior squeaks and rattles which is more likely than not due to the fact the car was owned by someone who lived on a dirt road waaaay off the beaten path in WY. The Civic on the other hand not only blew a head gasket at 200k, it constantly needed minor repairs like power lock solenoids, power window motors, alternator, wheel bearings etc. It's funny, no one ever gave me crap for driving a Civic with 115hp but not a week goes by that someone doesn't comment about how slow my V6 Mustang must be with 80 more horsepower...in reality the car is plenty powerful for normal driving and unlike the Civic I rarely have to downshift to climb hills even at altitude in the mountains. Is it a race car? No, but it's fun to drive and handles far better than a Civic although mine does have adjustable Tokico shocks, 2" drop springs and 18" wheels (all included in the original deal). Also, the Civic definitely did better on fuel in town but my highway MPG really isn't much different (both cars are 5 speed manual) probably because it doesn't need to constantly be downshifted to go up hills. I do miss having a usable back seat since the Mustang back seat has almost no leg or head room although the seats themselves are actually pretty comfortable. Long story short, if you're looking for an inexpensive, fun, good looking and (so far for me anyway) reliable car this would be a good pick.

It's perfect for your last toy!
By John

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

It's not for kids it has to many ponies!

My last real toy!!
By John

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have a red svt cobra 10th anniversary edition. I only drive it about 900 miles a year, it is in pristine condition garage kept all maintenance done on time using royal purple oil.

Terminator Cobras are incredible
By kenn nobinger

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Love this car.

Probably my last Mustang unless its a 65-72
By Robert PT Mechanic

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

My wife chose this car for her to drive. When we bought a new car for her, I drove this car for a while and disliked every moment behind the wheel. Everything about this car just felt low quality. The interior felt cheap in every aspect. Everything inside was made of a poor quality plastic that seemed to crack just from the vibration of the car. I know that Mustangs are notorious for being light in the rear. This car only had the 3.8L, but it still was bad about drifting on any wet pavement despite the lack of the GT power. I have owned many vehicles in my time, and I think that this is one of the worst as far as the quality of workmanship. The car regularly had issues needing repair although most were minor considering I do my own repairs. Resale, like most Mustangs with the 3.8L, is very poor.