Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

210,000---Need I say more
By Jen

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

210,000 miles has not broke down once! No motor problems at all. Now that I wrote this review it will probably break down---right! (Actually I am knocking on wood). I think I have been very lucky with this truck. Do and would recommend to anyone.

Seats front and back are comfortable. The way it drives, and the factory stereo is pretty good.

Can't think of any

Fun to drive. No problems. Treats me well
By UAFIJISPORTRAC

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have only owned mine for a few months, but going from a 95 Ranger to this, is great. It runs great, never had any problem, had to replace rear main seal, and just got new brakes all around. It treats me well and looks awesome on the road. I love the versatility it has, I can haul 5 people and lots of stuff in the bed. If you don't have one, get the bed extender, it's great and gives you the extra space you need. I just moved and carried tons of furniture in it. I love this truck!

Bed extender, automatic rear window, height of the truck, 2wd gets better mpg

New configuration on upper control arms for ball joints

2001 Ford Sport Trac
By Charles Shaffer

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will be a year in June 2008 since I bought it. Have had trouble with bad vibration in the whole truck, in the steering, and front end. Mechanic said the owners of the truck who had purchased it new had under the new warranty to get it fixed. The power steering pump has to be replaced with a bigger valve in it along with some other things concerning the pump. This is what is causing the vibration. Could cost me at least $1000 to fix it. Not a happy camper.

I like the seats, the bed, and the electric back window.

Door handles in bad place.

Maintenance Nightmare
By Indy

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

You name it. It had to be fixed. Leaks transmission fluid like a sive. Major transmission problems. Complete replacement at 5,000 miles, pan gasket replaced too many times to count, major transmission repair ($2,000) at 75,000. ABS sensor failure - warrany, windshield replacement - warranty, plus a ton of other stuff. Worst truck I've owned. Would not buy again.

Different drive train!

Blackie's been a good boy
By lcattivera

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i have always been a GM man, but after repeated fuel pumps and little gremlins in my last three Chevys, I stepped into my first Ford truck. I loved the design and looks from the start. Nice smooth ride compared to S-10 Blazers. Love the smooth shift while accelerating. Has good power when you are stupid enough to floor it and watch the fuel gauge drop. Overall, Blackie has been good dependable truck. Good styling, handy 4 doors, great stereo/6 cd changer, and love to open that rear window. I have 87,000 miles on him. I keep him garaged and drive him daily. I have had problems with repeated engine light, brakes, uneven tire wear, rattles.

Styling, nice stance, simple dash controls. Handy hard bed cover. Smooth ride, lots of creature comforts. Automatic rear window, keyless entry, 6 CD changer/stereo. Good overall size. Easy to manuever

Better paint durability, especially hood paint. Less plastic.. Improve brake system. Needs under hood lighting. Seems to be design flaw of engine light and ABS light