Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

Used Escape for Sale
Select your model:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Ford Escape purchased brand new

kyleservice, 05/11/2012
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We picked up this Ford Escape new in 2005. So far in 2012, it has about 72,000 miles on it, with absolutely zero problems so far. (Well, I did have to replace the battery this spring.) This SUV still has the same tires, same brakes, same exhaust system. I've looked at the front and rear brakes, they look like they'll go many more miles before needing replacement. We might have to replace the tires this fall, this is Wisconsin, and we do have snow around here.

I Love my Escapee!

missg3, 05/28/2014
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for just over 14 years. I've driven in all kinds of weather and road conditions. There have been typical age related services, but the vehicle has 189,000 miles and still running strong! It is a fun vehicle to own; whips in and out of parking spaces, turns easily, has lots of room to haul things when the seats are folded down and still rugged. Not my first Ford, but definitely my most favorite!

Rusty SUV, But Good

jfohl, 10/05/2014
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV last winter with 100k miles on it. Took it to my mechanic to get all the filters, fluids changed, who found rust holes in rear passenger inner wheelwell that compromised the strut and safety of vehicle. Fixed that, and took all the plastic cladding off exposing more rust than I've ever seen. Driven 20k miles and no real mechanical problems except the exhaust needs replaced. Very simple interior compared to new vehicles. AWD system is excellent. I get 20mpg. 3.0 engine may have been powerful 10 years ago, but its relatively slow compared to today's SUV standards. These are great deals if you are looking for an AWD vehicle.

keeps on ticking...

rebel16, 07/12/2014
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

176,000 miles plus..still a daily commuter, just lost the A/C compressor, that is the only major thing since I bought it in april 2005...other wise has preformed flawlessly

First Escape, not the last

bnosay, 04/25/2014
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 05 XLT AWD for 5 years now and only ever had problems with coil packs going bad. I think it's a great little SUV that has just enough room for my family plus the dog and any luggage we need. Seats stain somewhat easily but overall quality I give it a 9 out of 10. There are some design flaws like the rear seat headrests that cause terrible blind spots. but other than that, nothing major. Its small enough to whip into parking spaces and maneuver yet big enough that everyone is seated comfortably up front and room in the back. My favorite - gas mileage. no one believes me but I get 23-24 MPG on a regular basis. Roughly 320 Miles to a tank. can't complain 188,000+ strong

The best car I've ever owned

smashley745, 04/17/2013
Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it. Down sides: When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter. Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player. But overall, I love this car.

Very Dependable!

Fred Reno, 01/30/2010
XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

281K miles and still going!

John Garrett, 06/26/2017
Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

12 year old vehicles are going to have very different values based on how they have been driven and maintained and, of course, luck. I feel very lucky with my 05 Escape Hybrid. While it doesn't have the horsepower it once had, and the transmission is starting to slip, and there's some rust in the left rear wheel well, I'm amazed at how well this car has held up with regular oil changes and good tire maintenance. I was reviewing my repairs for this car and was surprised to find that, besides gas, oil and tires, I have spent less than $2500 in repairs since I bought it over 10 years ago. While the 25 MPG I have averaged over that time has been less than advertised (I suspect that the HV battery is not programmed correctly, but couldn't find a shop that could figure out how to improve it) it has outlasted and outperformed my expectations when I bought it with 40K miles and about two years old.

Keeps Working Hard

WNYFordGuy, 10/28/2009
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new Apr 05, this is my wife's daily driver. It has 70k miles, and runs like new again after repairing damage to the front susp (wheel bearings and sway bar links) caused by the harsh upstate WNY roads at 58k. I was disappointed that the Uni joints failed shortly afterwards (61k), along w/ the rear wiper (63k), and ABS sensors and rear shocks (67k) - $$$! But it's great in the snow, and gets pretty good gas mileage w/ the 2.3L 4 cyl 5-spd manual. Replaced the orig General tires w/ Goodyear Fortera SilentArmors at 41k, though I probably could have gotten 4k-10k more out of the Generals (which weren't anywhere near as bad/noisy as the reviewers claim the Continental Contitracs are)

It was a great SUV

Ford Guy, 03/23/2017
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 203000 relatively trouble free miles, it may be time for me to say good bye to my old friend, sniff, sniff. I bought her in October of 2004 with 13k miles. Other than the PCM going right I after I took ownership, the SUV has been relatively trouble free until now. It appears I need a new transmission. Not sure yet if I'll dish out the 2 grand to repair. But if you can get one of these rides with low miles I'd say go for it! It was money well spent.

Escape has definitely proven itself

bw, 07/19/2009
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Escape in Alaska in 2005. It worked GREAT in the snow and gets good mileage. Loaded it full of stuff (so much that the rear suspension was sagging) and drove it to Minnesota in 2006, no problems. Packed it up again and drove it to Maryland in 2009. She's still running great with 95,000 miles. I replaced the stock tires at 80,000 miles and just replaced the front pads/rotors a week ago. The original brakes were on the edge of failing, but they gave me no problems for 95,000 miles. It ain't fancy but it's come a long way! I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off.

A Welcome Escape

Rod Minnesota, 10/16/2009
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As of October 2009, my wife has 153,000 miles on her 2005 Escape. She loves the vehicle and I appreciate its relatively low cost of ownership. Only repair that we have had has been two door latches replaced - not sure why they are plastic.

RUST! RUST! RUST!

Lee, 04/20/2016
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This model of Ford the escape was not sealed properly on the rear passenger side. At 100,000 miles the rear wheel well and shock mount was rusted through to the interior!! If buying this vehicle have that thoroughly inspected and put a rust sealant on the bottom of the vehicle, the wheel wells and hinder good of car as my good also has a huge use HOLE in it. Repairs were $1,100-$5,000. Not worth the risk of you're depending on this vehicle to last you at least five years. Invest in a newer model where they have fixed this issue. Or stray away from Ford all together!!!

Wishing I had never gotten it

tulareave, 04/25/2013
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Beware, I purchased this car from a dealer and once the 3 month warranty was out the repairs began! Not just routine repairs, we are talking full exhaust, including the catalytic converter. They coils needed multiple replacement (one time leaving me stranded with my children over 200 miles away from home in Amish country!) new battery, and my latest and most annoying problem is that the door ajar light remains on, which would not be a problem but is makes a CONSTANT ringing noise as you are driving and no one seems to know how to make it stop. At one point the interior lights would come back on randomly draining the battery (that was fun in -35° weather). We have to rent a car or borrow a family members car if we are taking an out of town trip because we don't trust our vehicle. I wish I had never gotten it but stuck with it until the loan is paid off. We basically just drive around waiting for the next thing to need replacing.

Bad Plugs

Bill, 05/09/2010
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

For the first five years car has been great. Not happy with interior. Upholstery wearing out much to soon. What really steams me is that at 38000 miles the plugs, coils and power module have just gone out. With this mileage I can't believe it. I have been a loyal Ford BUT!

My first Ford and SUV

dee_hayden, 03/12/2014
XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 Sportx in 2013 at Oak Motors. I had a 94' Pontiac Grand Prix prior to that, but had to trade it in due a oil leak. I was going outta state to Wisconsin and needed the extra space. It's been a great vehicle. I've had it for a year now and all I've done is changed the oil in it. It's roomy. Drives smooth. It's comfortable. I've even slept in it on a occasion. It does well on gas too. It has more features than my old car does which I love. It's the first SUV I've ever had. And its my first Ford. If I were to ever trade it in for something else, I'd probably another one.

Cheap new car

Cindy, 06/22/2006
XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Initially, I really liked my 05 Escape. 20,000 miles later, I cant wait to get rid of it. There are lots of noises a car only a year old shouldn't make. The steering wheel and brake pedal whistle, the windows rattle, gas tank has air in it, making it next to impossible to get a full tank of gas. The drivers side window makes a screeching noise when you roll it down. Gas mileage is terrible! I like the size and style just fine. It is cheaply made. Noisy. I drove a 15 year old Honda that was not as noisy as this new car. I owe more than the car is worth at the moment, so I am stuck with it or face losing thousands. No more Fords for me.

Incredibly reliable!

Ms V, 06/18/2018
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 11 years and it runs like a top. I haven’t had any issues and have just done regular maintenance. I’m at 157,000 miles and I’m sure it’ll keep rolling for many more.

Love it

mcjones, 09/21/2005
Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first truck I have ever owned so it is hard for me to compare a non-HEV truck to this one. I have been very impressed with the gas mileage and performance. I am averaging 33 mpg combined driving in the summer and 26 mpg combined driving in the winter. The mechanism that switches from full electric to hybrid when accelerating from a stop is very impressive. It is as seamless as could possibly be expected. I am not a very fast driver but I can report that this vehicle accelerates very slowly compared with previous cars that I have owned. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking to use less gasoline and can afford the extra cost of the hybrid vs. standard Escape.

Don't bother with the base 4 cylinder

bsumorgan, 11/09/2010
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I got a job where I needed to carry stuff for work and I also needed to haul our small family around in the winter. The ford escape seemed like a perfect fit. It drove well enough, but the 4 cylinder is just plain lethargic. At low gears it's all right, but in second and third, well, you had better not be making emergency maneuvers. The arm rests are hard and unforgiving. I didn't like the position of the seats relative to the floor. The 4WD, however, was FANTASTIC! I could drive like a complete idiot on snow and ice, and it didn't matter. Ford AWD is much better than the AWD that I had in the Saturn Vue I bought after owning this. My advice: get the nicer trim level with the 6 cyl and 4wd.

planning a long trip

leavingjersey, 03/22/2013
Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape in 2010 from Ford dealership in Mount Holly,New Jersey; the minute I took it home I had problems with the censors. Called Dealership and after much heated discussion they repaired it. Mileage is about 21 mpg. Should have inspected the undercarriage better. Found lots of rust. After living in New Jersey and driving in snow and ice, which we have plenty of, I'm planning to drive to San Antonio, Texas. I'm a little nervous to attempt the trip. Will update after my arrival in Texas.

Mixed feelings

Dwayne C, 11/01/2008
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We started having transmission problems at 20,000 miles. It would shift hard at around 40 MPH.We took it in (not at purchasing dealership)about ten times before they finally changed the transmission. I argued with the transmission mechanic that it was not right.They tried something different each time it was brought in. They adjusted the linkage, changed the spark plugs, changed the radiator, new torque converter, etc before changing the transmission. By this time the warranty was off and they wanted me to pay for it. After lots of arguing the dealer helped cover the cost above what Ford payed.There was 30,000 miles on the vehicle by the time this was done. Been running good ever since.

A worthwhile purchase

PhilFromDetroit, 07/29/2009
Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this SUV for two years, buying at the 24,000 mile mark and now at 42,000 miles. We have not had any unexpected problems except one: the rear tailgate started to rust. The dealer fixed that. Replaced front discs at 40K and the Conti's at 40K. Otherwise no problems to report. It's surefooted in MI winters. On extended Highway driving it got almost 24 MPG, but in extended stop and go it's getting about 16 MPG.

9 months in on 2005 V6 2wd

invictarocks, 01/04/2010
XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after a lot of research on Subaru Forrester, RAV4, Honda CRV and the Escape. I did some test drives, and the Forrester was the fastest and funnest, but a little small, and my buying decision came right after a bad experience with a Subaru dealership. The RAV4 seat was unbearable in the "fold down, kicking back" position, and sitting on the back with the hatch up was designed OUT of the model years I was looking at. I didn't like the way the RAV4 looked driving down the road from behind, as the rear suspension didn't inspire much confidence. I LOVE my Escape, and it's styling. The gas mileage was a little disappointing at 20.

Great all around dependable vehicle

Paul Danielewicz , 12/17/2019
4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid with all wheel drive in 2010. It has been positive in almost every respect with a few minor negatives. The original owner took good care of it for the first 75K miles. And I have put on an additional 140K miles in almost 10 years as my daily driver and weekend adventurer. Outside of following the normal maintenance schedules recommended by Ford, I have had zero mechanical issues. The only disappointment has been body rust: the spare wheel carrier seized up and was removed and the rear passenger wheel well rusted out, casualties of the snow belt. The engine, electric motor, transmission, and all wheel drive have worked flawlessly. I am always concerned about the 330 volt hybrid battery wearing out after the first 100K, but so far so good. “Dusty” has done everything I asked of it, whether on road or light off roading. I have never gotten stuck or stranded in mud or snow the woods, except one time when I stupidly parked in a dirt turnoff with over a foot deep of powdery snow (easily shoveled out by myself and was on my way). She has been especially good during snowy and cold New England winters. I will never forget foolishly driving through the heart of a major blizzard in February of 2013. While other cars and trucks were getting stranded I made the 35 mile drive home safely. It is fun to drive with spirited acceleration and agile handling. With the AWD and relatively low center of gravity (for a truck), cornering is superb with little body lean. Gas mileage is excellent, getting in the low 30s mpg overall and a little less in the winter, due to the hybrid battery output (like most batteries) being lower in the cold. Turning radius is relatively small and parking is easy with a relatively short length for an SUV. Braking in dry conditions is average, and great in the wet due to the all wheel drive. Visibility and driving position is excellent. The suspension is firm but comfortable. Highway cruising is very good and seating comfortable and supportive enough for 10 hour drives (I haven’t gone longer). Three passengers in the rear seat is a bit of tight squeeze and more suitable for two average sized adults. I wish it was a little longer with a bigger trunk, as I am an outdoor enthusiast often carrying a lot of gear and three passengers. But traveling solo the fold down rear seats provide adequate storage space. With the front seat fully reclined I can fit a 9 foot whitewater kayak inside! Or two smaller kayaks. 8 foot 2x4s fit easily. The roof is long enough and strong enough for a rack to carry four kayaks or two canoes and a kayak. Or large pieces of furniture. It was very handy during my last move carrying a lot of stuff. I am currently looking for a new vehicle because I want to drive a stick shift again (this has been my only automatic in 35 years of owning vehicles), and living in the city a compact car is preferable. But I think I could get at least another 100K out of her. The electric motor really saves the engine from wear and tear caused by idling (engine shuts off), and the stress of stop and go driving (when the electric motor does all the work). It runs in hybrid mode about 90% of the time, and pure electric or gas 5% each. The navigation system works OK but the supplied CD discs are outdated. And the screen is old and fades in and out. But these are minor issues for me. The stereo and 5 disc CD changer work well. If I was in the market for a hybrid or SUV I would not hesitate to get another Escape.

Too many things gone wrong

johnny_canuck, 07/24/2014
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in August 2012 with roughly 70k miles, here's what has gone wrong: - one tie rod, other is now in need of replacing - hole in exhaust - fuel pump - spark plugs - front brakes now need replace - transmission is clunking In not even two years, ugh. It cannot handle the 3,500 lbs it says it can, bad mileage, just awful.

It's not worth it. Run away.

ih8ford2, 07/08/2013
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have ever made in my life. Have had nothing but MAJOR problems with this car. it's always one thing after another. I have owned this car for less than 5 years. After my spark plugs and coils went then it was the transmission. After that it was the catalytic converter, and after that the ABS. The final straw came last night when I was driving home from work and the alternator had apparently gone out. now I'm driving 70 on the highway when all power goes out, my power steering seized up and I have to fight for my life to get this junk of crap off the road without killing anyone. Never buying a ford again. Complete and total POS.

Crappy Sun Visor

Wojo, 08/26/2009
XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Although almost everything on my Escape Hybrid is great I have had problems with the sun visors since I bought it. On the driver's side, where I need it the most, it has come loose and had to be replaced about once every two years! As it is no longer under warranty it is about $100 to do this, which is in itself outrageous. Although I like the vehicle, if Ford can not fix this I will be looking into a different vehicle. I refuse to pay this for a problem that has been identified by many and not fixed.

Overall a nice little SUV

Gpowers, 11/25/2010
Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the wife's car, not mine. We had it since new. Dislikes, no power passenger seat, no compass or outside temp display, Uncomfortable seats everywhere except driver. Bad design on heated seats switch placement and function (can't see light, no temperature control, turns on accidentally) , poor placement of cruise on switch(on steering wheel, accidentally gets turned off), noisy tires at road speed. V6 gets buzzy when in second and delivers less than stellar mileage (19 City, 21 Hwy). Great vehicle in snow and reliable as a rock. Wife loves it. I'm not as impressed. I hope Ford addressed these issues in future versions. Only problem was front brakes at 39K which is maintenance.

Gas Tank

jerod, 12/01/2010
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently switched from a 2003 Explorer to the 05 Escape and although I really loved and miss the Explorer, I think the Escape is great. The only thing that really pisses me off every time is when the gas hose shuts off. I should be able to start the gas and walk away. I live in Wisconsin. It's cold. Come on! Other than that I love it :)

Great but has problems

InspectoRob, 03/24/2009
Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We Loved our 03 xlt so we bought an 05 Limited. We missed the selector switch for AWD, but the center console and LTD amenities made up for that. Wind noise is much better. Still has the annoying temperature problem - heater blows very hot or cool with no in-between. Fog/driving lights are better. At about 10k miles transmission would slip when gas was let up then back on while moving - Dealer said it was ok. Got worse over time. Plastic parts broke mysteriously - front wheel lip and a panel on the back hatch. The ABS module went - 100 miles after warranty. Fought with dealer and got it for reduced cost (Ford was No Help!) It just went again so we are trading today.

Mile high ride

Ray Salinas, 04/30/2009
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape is easy to drive and the AUTO AWD with bigger tires handles well in snow and off-road driving in the Colorado mountains. Very responsive steering and braking - I avoided an accident when another car blindly merged into my lane and I had to react quickly by braking and steering away from the other driver to avoid a collision. Escape is very responsive. Large cargo space for our two dogs but would prefer a rear power window. Small SUV with roomy interior and powerful V6.

I love it

Tom, 05/05/2009
XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my escape every day and I just love to get into it. The 5 speed transmission makes it more fun to drive and helps me control my gas mileage more. I drove from NY to Arizone and I was averaging 32 mpg.

Nice truck

SUVguy, 06/03/2010
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in October of 04 with 13,000 miles on it. Thus far only one major repair which was the ignition module around 40,000 miles. Other than that just normal wear and tear (water pump, serpentine belt etc). Overall very pleased with the performance and reliability. Just hit the 110,000 mile mark.

Escape 4x4

Damian, 01/21/2006
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The bad thing, you need to check your blind spots at least twice. Don't be in a hurry. If you are 6' and heavy set, this is not the car for you. Other than this, great look, excellent power house and handling.

The Best SUV

ALYSIA, 05/09/2005
XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV handles great. The interior is nice and comfortable. Great car to take on a long trip. Excellent stereo system. It comes with an 8 inch amp and 6 cd changer and satellite ready. Back seats lay completely down for a large cargo area. All in all the best vehicle I have ever purchased.

Escape is tops.

Don Ogle, 11/03/2005
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The 2004 Escape has plenty of power, plenty of room and good gas mileage. I have had, knock on wood, absolutely no problems with the SUV.

116k miles, runs like new

Luke, 12/30/2016
XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The paint faded on my hood, a common Escape problem, my thermostat sticks open, but it's the original, so excuseable. Mileage 21-22 in town, 28 highway.Yes I would recommend it. Seats much more comfortable than my wife's honda cr-v. Updated,,, sold it at 130K miles, ran perfect. Bought a 2010, 6 cyl, HATED IT, poor mileage, the thing seemed huge. Wish I'd kept the 2005, great car.

110k miles, 6 years, and Several US States

CH303, 12/14/2016
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for over 6 years (second owner, received from sweet Grandmother during college at 40k miles), 110k+ miles, it's seen Drifting in Death Valley, New York City traffic jams, San Francisco hills, mountain roads of Aspen, Colorado. Here's my experience in short: Given the car is now 10+ years old I recommend purchasing one only if you have mechanical experience that will allow replacing of coils/reaching the engine to make minor repairs typical to this model at home, it's guaranteed to be one of the first major things to happen and the biggest cost is labor. On the up side there's a lot of information available in forums about this model courtesy of dudes who like to work on their Fords and share it on the web, thanks guys! Here's the full details of repairs I've had, Reliability has been pretty low, I'm not talking about normal wear like breaks, tires, shocks, oil. About once a year something major goes wrong, first it was a tubing system that was permanently out of stock 4 years after the car was released (we made another tube work with some ingenuity), this has happened every few years - part never comes back into stock...what's up with that? Next the computer went out, then it went out again 20k miles later, now I am having trouble with Cylinder misfires in Cylinder 1 & checking the forums it looks like this is a really common problem for the 2003-2005, sometimes resulting in multiple cylinders going in a 'domino' like fashion over the course of 3-6 months, quite pricey if you can't work on it yourself as the labor to reach some of the cylinders can reach 600.00 US Dollars each go. Currently trying to decide if I'll keep the car and go around with the Cylinder issues, many other users on forms around the web have spent the money to replace all cylinder coils, the spark plugs, and then find out the PCM is bad after the 1000-2000 US Dollar replacements have been made, costing even more and triggering a chain of break downs in the process while the issue develops over time.

Do not buy this junk!

maxout06, 09/24/2011
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 Escape XLT with 78,000 on the odometer. Good price and the thing looked cherry. After driving it for a couple months, the OBD light came on and it started misfiring. After a little research, I found out Ford used sub-standard parts to build this model. The ignition coils burn out the drivers in the ECM at about 100,000 miles. Well past warranty stage. Ford knew of this and sent a memo to dealers on what to look for if the code P0351 was showing. A repair that costs average $1,500. The worst thing is since this issue took place after market, the only ECM's left are used or reman. This is the reason people are buying Asian cars more. Ford, you people are crooks.

Poor Gas Mileage

Mike, 11/04/2005
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has great comfort and exterior style. I find it hard to believe that FORD could not design this vehicle with better gas mileage. I am only getting 20 miles per gallon either in city or highway. This perhaps would lead me to a foreign vehicle for next purchase. FORD can do better. I come from a FORD family, and do enjoy this vehicle, but am utterly concerned with the gas mileage.

Trading in

Trading in , 01/16/2008
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 2005 XLD AWD Escape used in March '05 with 17,000 miles on it. As others have written, we have had problems filling up the gas tank. Gas nozzle keeps shutting off which drives my husband nuts. Started having problems with the brakes at about 50K. Mechanic replaced tires, rotated tires and put on new brake pads which solved the problem for only a little while. It probably needs new rotors, but at only 2 yrs old with 57K miles on it and 3 years left on the loan, we decided to trade it in for an older car with less miles that we could pay off sooner at $100 less/month. Overall though, this was a good car, preformed very well in the snow with the smart AWD but hard on gas.

A terrific hybrid entry

gomermaid, 01/07/2005
Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent performance with good, not great mileage (about 27 mpg), but much better that comparable SUV's. Fun to drive and handles exceptionally well. Cannot think of a major drawback. A little sluggish on pick up, but once at highway speed it's all there. Windshield wipers not balanced and leave major areas uncleaned. Might be just a dealer adjustment.

My Ford Escape

Desiree, 07/07/2005
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far, very happy with vehicle. Very responsive, gas mileage not bad if you drive sensibly. (I average 20 mpg which is a combination of mostly city and some highway driving). Air Conditioner works very well! Stereo system pretty good as well. Perfect sized vehicle for my needs. Vehicle has firm ride.

Lincoln Aviator has baby!

cletus, 08/11/2005
Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving Ford Explorers since 1990, starting with a 1991 4X4 Eddie Bauer Edition. Drove it 13 years (loved it!) Drove a 2000 Model Limited for year and a half (O.K.). Got 2005 Escape LTD AWD (gold ash metallic - beautiful!)first week of July 2005. Looks like baby of friend's Lincoln Aviator. Like it a lot. With Explorers went everywhere in snow. If the Escape with AWD equals the Explorers, then I will be a 100% Escape Fan. It's only 2 inches narrower and wheelbase is only 10 inches shorter than Explorer so no noticeable interior difference to me. My friends call me Hugh Jass.

So far so good

Daniel Allocca, 01/23/2006
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought an '05 Escape with only 12K miles. Got the XLT V6 with leather and am loving it. I considered sportier cars but decided to get 4WD and need the cargo space. Fuel mileage has been about 20mpg. Acceleration with the V6 is great. Plenty of power off of the line, and can even be fun on the highway. I fit in the car very comfortably at 6 foot 250 pounds. Overall great car. Some interior materials feel cheap, especially the door handles. Fit and finish is pretty good. My first American car purchase and am keeping my fingers crossed for long-term quality.

05 ESCAPE XLT with 75,000 miles

JW, 04/09/2006
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My Escape is a company car. At first I wasn't happy getting it, but after driving it 75,000 miles in 2 years, I now luv it. It has proven to be comfortable and reliable (I drive it aggressively). The V6 is torquey and quick. The interior design is functional and comfortable. I carry 4 adults, the rear passengers never complain.This SUV has been extremely reliable (NOTHING has broken) and seems indestructible when driven hard regularly. I've taken it off road a few times; the AWD was all I need to get through the deep mud. A snow storm dumped 25" and this SUV drove through unplowed roads and snow mounds without a problem.This SUV has proven to be tough, comfortable, reliable, speedy, and sporty. I recommend it.

Escape Limited in Alaska

Alaskan, 09/07/2005
Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of research before purchase. Seriously considered Japanese products. Their quality is no doubt a bit better. None in class though, had the driveability and just plain fun in driving as the V6 Escape. The large wheels provide a most excellent ride and are optimum for Alaska winters. We bought a Limited with moon roof, leather trim heated seats and other creature comforts. Mileage is OK around town. We'd hoped for more but are all around delighted with purchase. Highly recommended.

Cool little gas hog.

Lil D from Richmond, 02/10/2006
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I'm far more impressed with the Escape than expected, this being my first Ford vehicle. Good execution. Engine power, handling, space utilization, and price are great. Gas tank is way too small for its consumption. Cruise distance is just fair at best at 280 to 300 miles per tank for highway. Guess that was an agreement between Ford and some oil company. Should have outside temp and compass standard (or optional) for XLT model, their most popular model.

Road noise only issue

YoYo, 08/15/2006
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After 2 years of use and 45000 miles, mostly highway, my only complaint is the deafening interior noise is.

12345...9