Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

Used Escape for Sale
Select your model:
12345...41

Pros
Cons

Ford Escape purchased brand new

kyleservice, 05/11/2012
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We picked up this Ford Escape new in 2005. So far in 2012, it has about 72,000 miles on it, with absolutely zero problems so far. (Well, I did have to replace the battery this spring.) This SUV still has the same tires, same brakes, same exhaust system. I've looked at the front and rear brakes, they look like they'll go many more miles before needing replacement. We might have to replace the tires this fall, this is Wisconsin, and we do have snow around here.

I Love my Escapee!

missg3, 05/28/2014
XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for just over 14 years. I've driven in all kinds of weather and road conditions. There have been typical age related services, but the vehicle has 189,000 miles and still running strong! It is a fun vehicle to own; whips in and out of parking spaces, turns easily, has lots of room to haul things when the seats are folded down and still rugged. Not my first Ford, but definitely my most favorite!

Rusty SUV, But Good

jfohl, 10/05/2014
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV last winter with 100k miles on it. Took it to my mechanic to get all the filters, fluids changed, who found rust holes in rear passenger inner wheelwell that compromised the strut and safety of vehicle. Fixed that, and took all the plastic cladding off exposing more rust than I've ever seen. Driven 20k miles and no real mechanical problems except the exhaust needs replaced. Very simple interior compared to new vehicles. AWD system is excellent. I get 20mpg. 3.0 engine may have been powerful 10 years ago, but its relatively slow compared to today's SUV standards. These are great deals if you are looking for an AWD vehicle.

keeps on ticking...

rebel16, 07/12/2014
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

176,000 miles plus..still a daily commuter, just lost the A/C compressor, that is the only major thing since I bought it in april 2005...other wise has preformed flawlessly

First Escape, not the last

bnosay, 04/25/2014
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 05 XLT AWD for 5 years now and only ever had problems with coil packs going bad. I think it's a great little SUV that has just enough room for my family plus the dog and any luggage we need. Seats stain somewhat easily but overall quality I give it a 9 out of 10. There are some design flaws like the rear seat headrests that cause terrible blind spots. but other than that, nothing major. Its small enough to whip into parking spaces and maneuver yet big enough that everyone is seated comfortably up front and room in the back. My favorite - gas mileage. no one believes me but I get 23-24 MPG on a regular basis. Roughly 320 Miles to a tank. can't complain 188,000+ strong

The best car I've ever owned

smashley745, 04/17/2013
Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it. Down sides: When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter. Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player. But overall, I love this car.

Very Dependable!

Fred Reno, 01/30/2010
XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

281K miles and still going!

John Garrett, 06/26/2017
Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

12 year old vehicles are going to have very different values based on how they have been driven and maintained and, of course, luck. I feel very lucky with my 05 Escape Hybrid. While it doesn't have the horsepower it once had, and the transmission is starting to slip, and there's some rust in the left rear wheel well, I'm amazed at how well this car has held up with regular oil changes and good tire maintenance. I was reviewing my repairs for this car and was surprised to find that, besides gas, oil and tires, I have spent less than $2500 in repairs since I bought it over 10 years ago. While the 25 MPG I have averaged over that time has been less than advertised (I suspect that the HV battery is not programmed correctly, but couldn't find a shop that could figure out how to improve it) it has outlasted and outperformed my expectations when I bought it with 40K miles and about two years old.

Keeps Working Hard

WNYFordGuy, 10/28/2009
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new Apr 05, this is my wife's daily driver. It has 70k miles, and runs like new again after repairing damage to the front susp (wheel bearings and sway bar links) caused by the harsh upstate WNY roads at 58k. I was disappointed that the Uni joints failed shortly afterwards (61k), along w/ the rear wiper (63k), and ABS sensors and rear shocks (67k) - $$$! But it's great in the snow, and gets pretty good gas mileage w/ the 2.3L 4 cyl 5-spd manual. Replaced the orig General tires w/ Goodyear Fortera SilentArmors at 41k, though I probably could have gotten 4k-10k more out of the Generals (which weren't anywhere near as bad/noisy as the reviewers claim the Continental Contitracs are)

It was a great SUV

Ford Guy, 03/23/2017
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 203000 relatively trouble free miles, it may be time for me to say good bye to my old friend, sniff, sniff. I bought her in October of 2004 with 13k miles. Other than the PCM going right I after I took ownership, the SUV has been relatively trouble free until now. It appears I need a new transmission. Not sure yet if I'll dish out the 2 grand to repair. But if you can get one of these rides with low miles I'd say go for it! It was money well spent.

12345...41