Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

Used Escape for Sale
Select your model:
12345...82

Pros
Cons

The best car I've ever owned

smashley745, 04/17/2013
Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it. Down sides: When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter. Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player. But overall, I love this car.

Very Dependable!

Fred Reno, 01/30/2010
XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

281K miles and still going!

John Garrett, 06/26/2017
Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

12 year old vehicles are going to have very different values based on how they have been driven and maintained and, of course, luck. I feel very lucky with my 05 Escape Hybrid. While it doesn't have the horsepower it once had, and the transmission is starting to slip, and there's some rust in the left rear wheel well, I'm amazed at how well this car has held up with regular oil changes and good tire maintenance. I was reviewing my repairs for this car and was surprised to find that, besides gas, oil and tires, I have spent less than $2500 in repairs since I bought it over 10 years ago. While the 25 MPG I have averaged over that time has been less than advertised (I suspect that the HV battery is not programmed correctly, but couldn't find a shop that could figure out how to improve it) it has outlasted and outperformed my expectations when I bought it with 40K miles and about two years old.

Keeps Working Hard

WNYFordGuy, 10/28/2009
XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new Apr 05, this is my wife's daily driver. It has 70k miles, and runs like new again after repairing damage to the front susp (wheel bearings and sway bar links) caused by the harsh upstate WNY roads at 58k. I was disappointed that the Uni joints failed shortly afterwards (61k), along w/ the rear wiper (63k), and ABS sensors and rear shocks (67k) - $$$! But it's great in the snow, and gets pretty good gas mileage w/ the 2.3L 4 cyl 5-spd manual. Replaced the orig General tires w/ Goodyear Fortera SilentArmors at 41k, though I probably could have gotten 4k-10k more out of the Generals (which weren't anywhere near as bad/noisy as the reviewers claim the Continental Contitracs are)

It was a great SUV

Ford Guy, 03/23/2017
XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 203000 relatively trouble free miles, it may be time for me to say good bye to my old friend, sniff, sniff. I bought her in October of 2004 with 13k miles. Other than the PCM going right I after I took ownership, the SUV has been relatively trouble free until now. It appears I need a new transmission. Not sure yet if I'll dish out the 2 grand to repair. But if you can get one of these rides with low miles I'd say go for it! It was money well spent.

12345...82