2017 Ford C-Max Energi Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C-Max Energi model:

Good little Econo-wagon
By Jamie Harr

2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got a factory fleet vehicle, 3800 miles on it and 2/3 the original cost. Great value.

Get one while they last!
By Chris

2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought a C-MAX Energi and compared it to a 2017 Prius V and drove a 2013 Prius before. I never thought that I would even think about "fun" when driving a car until I drove the Prius V and realized what I was missing, it dives like a van and acceleration is non-existant. The C-Max is very different, it can drive it like my 200hp Passat, then the milage drops considerably but there is also the option to drive it more carefully and Ford has integrated a lot of tools to monitor efficiency with to get very good mpg. For me it's the perfect compromise of both worlds, although the mpg is somewhat lower than a Prius. Interior quality is much better than a Prius V and the regular Prius's outside is just hideous, IMO. - The plug-in Energi will be discontinued in 2018 and eventually be replaced by an Escape version (according to Ford). Currently the price for the C-Max Energi are below the regular hybrid after the tax deduction. The price will be largely influenced by the extras since the discounts are not applied on these. I decided I needed heated seats (cold weather package $300) and the reversing sensors and camera with bigger screen (package 401A $1200) you can get both and leather seats with package 402A ($1600). I stayed away from the Navigation which is another $800 since this is included in every phone and thus useless since the C-Max support both apple carplay and android auto.

No spare tire, everything else is great!
By Edward Basgall

2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Buy a donut spare on ebay or wait for a tow truck if you experience a sidewall tire failure, like I did last weekend....

Great gas mileage
By DennisW

2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Where do I start? Well I've had hybrids since my 2006 Ford Excape sold after 135,000 trouble free miles and average from new mileage of 43.2mpg. While still owning that car I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion, another great trouble free car with an average since new mileage of 45.3 mpg. Now to the Great little CMax what a great car. Words can't explain the potential of this plug in Hybrid. To start I have 26,120 miles and have used 204.2 gallons of gas. Doing the math shows the mileage that is possible, it has achieved 127.9 mpg since new. My best tank of gas was 334 mpg and my worst tank was 32mpg. My current tank has 2,213 miles and I am at half tank; the odometer has it at 245.8 mpg. This tank is slightly less than half, It looks like I may beat my best tank. I typically go around 30 miles on a charge. I have gone on a Sunday drive as far as 51 miles, while trying to see how far I could go. This 51 miles on a charge did take a lot of hyper mileing and slow speeds out on rural country roads. During the hot summer months in Oklahoma the battery still goes around 15+ miles on a charge. For anyone living in a small town or large city this is a car to consider. It is not at it's best on the freeways. Typically it gets around 40+ mpg on the open road. In city highways with a lot of stop and go it shines well over 60 mpg. Reading some test drives it seems that their purpose is to only focus on the low side of what the car can do. If you live less than 30 miles from your work and it does not include any high speed freeway driving you can go to and from work on one charge, this is a fact. I was so impressed with this car I purchased my wife a 2017 Fusion Energi. She has 3,125 miles and has used 50.7 gallons which is 61.6 mpg which is a 50/50 mix of driving on freeway and town. Her best tank so far was over 100 mpg and her worst was 34mpg. All I can say is this is a great car for anyone that wants to save on fuel and it does not take any trick driving to get great mileage. It will easily go 80 mph in all electric for a short distance, the trick is to not try to drive electric on the freeway save the battery for city driving by putting the car in EV later. I know of drivers that have gone over 11,000 miles on electric only. The ski is the limit if you really want to get a fun to drive little electric capable vehicle.

Beats Prius hands down
By PHILIP MATUSCAK

2017 Ford C-Max Energi Titanium 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As an older shopper, all of the items rated, like interior comfort, ride height, comfortable seats were all important. The C-max just hits that sweet spot. It is far and away so much better than my 2011 Prius. The interior is downright PLUSH. The 10 way power seats are the most comfortable of all the hybrids tested, which included the NIRO, and Ioniq. The pwr tailgate is another plus. By the way, I have been getting 24 miles range on pure electric alone, which takes care of all our around town trips. We seldom use the engine on these trips so my fuel mileage rating is currently 68.6 miles per gallon! It takes abt 6 hrs to charge a fully depleted battery, and that's on 120 volt outlet. I am amazed how much better this car is as opposed to my Prius. The Ford cvt does not whine like the Prius, acceleration is way better, sound insulation keeps the entire car quiet. I don't know why the C-MAX was not on my radar when I first started looking for a new hybrid, but I am sure glad I stopped to check it out! Ford has definitely upped their game!
02/10/18- I have not changed my opinion, the Ford continues to be far superior to the Prius in all areas. We now have 3000 miles of mostly local driving. Since this is mainly battery, my average MPG is now reading 91.1 mpg!! I absolutely love the fact that I can charge from a normal 120 volt outlet. It makes it so easy. The electric stays all electric until the charge is gone. I have noticed a shorter range in winter where electric seat heaters take the largest draw during use. When it does move into hybrid mode acceleration is way faster than the Prius. The only thing I would like would be for more storage up front. I might also add that everything works as intended. That is quite different from the Continental we had back in 2010. That was such a poor car, we traded it in for the Prius! Like I said before, Ford has really improved a significant amount.