Used 2012 FIAT 500 Pop Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Originally Excited, Now Regretting Purchase
By C@

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2012 Fiat: 43,208 miles - Automatic Trans.
Purchased July/August 2014 from a seedy local dealership whom can't be held accountable for this "Lemon".

It drives GREAT, when it's working but I live in the U.P. of Michigan. Hard winters are common and the car doesn't have much clearance (which I knew purchasing the car and wasn't worried). However, the digital displays do not work after 20 degrees (and in the winter that is normally -20 degrees). 25 minutes is usually how long i had to run the car to warm up the car enough for the digital displays to work properly (which wouldn't be bad except the accurate speedometer is digital).

When I first logged on to their online service/maintenance report- I had seen that it was in for electrical work (I believe) twice, and did not think anything of it at the time. However, around Thanksgiving of that same year I had to send my car to the car dealership in Traverse City for work to be done. I did not get my car back until late December 2015 because the parts were out of stock. The customer service department was very nice about the delay, and towing to the customer service department was paid by the Fiat brand because it was under warranty (I paid for bridge tolls $50.00). I had to make arrangements to get a ride to Traverse City to pick up my car because they were going to charge me to bring it back.

The dealership in this area that sold me the car, Fernelius Hyundai, would not help me in the slightest besides giving me a lender car for three days around Thanksgiving- they said it was my problem and I should be thankful for their generosity.

When I received my car it worked fine, but then in February of 2015 the same thing happened again. I received free towing to Traverse City, and I had to pay bridge tolls again. This time customer service in Traverse City said they couldn't find the problem, but it seemed to be working fine (my theory was that since it is warmer in Traverse City they didn't have the same issue).

Now it is January 2016, we had a warmer than normal winter. AGAIN, I have the same problem with my Fiat. I again will have to send it down to Traverse City to get it worked on, however, I don't believe it will fall under the 4 year warranty/50,000 miles. This means I will probably have to pay for the towing and bridge tolls out of pocket.

I cannot in good mind sell my car.

I believe Fernelius Hyundai knew of these problems.
I no longer have access to the previous service records on my car that I can tell. I believe I have no protection in this but want to try.
I can't believe there isn't a recall on my 2012 Fiat after having the same problem YEARLY.

So far pretty good 5 years
By adam

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

It will get you to your destination perhaps not the most modern or stylish you can go anywhere . Stay on top of the maintenance schedule and if you keep in mind your not the fastest or coolest you can outlast them and pass more then a few too.

I Hate to Say It, But...
By Michelle Walsh

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As much as I love it, it's got to go.

Bought used with about 40K miles on it. It's fun to drive, gets great mileage, and I had no complaints until I went to have the oil changed and the mechanic told me there were metal particles in the oil, and I shouldn't be driving it. I bought it from CarMax, who have been wonderful about dealing with this: ended up having to replace the engine (no cost to me), but when the car came back after being gone for a month, the antennae had been broken off (and not replaced) and one of my hubcaps was missing (again, CarMax is being great about repair/replacement).

Came out a week ago to drive to church, and the driver's side door handle came off in my hand. Not a big thing, but a) I live in Wisconsin, where it gets pretty cold, and it was very temperate the night before-not like it was well below freezing and therefore brittle, and b) This car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it yet.

I'm now wondering "what next" every time I get in the car to drive it. It makes me sad, because I've really loved this car. Too bad Fiat can't make something more reliable...

I'm not sure if my story will have a happy ending
By N.L.

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As I write this, my car currently has just over 52,000 miles on it and just recently came off of warranty. It's a 2012 Pop 500, which is now three years old. Last January, I got in it to go to work one morning, and could not get it into gear. This baffled me, as it was perfectly fine the day before. Turns out, I had to have it towed to the dealership and they claimed that a bearing wore out in the clutch kit and an entirely new clutch kit had to be installed. At that time, the car was two - I've NEVER heard of such a thing and was horrified! The service manager was vary vague in answering any questions. Fast forward to this Holiday weekend...my daughter and I were headed out for breakfast in honor of my Birthday, when suddenly, the 'new' clutch blows in the middle of a busy city street, leaving us stranded with people honking and waving their arms madly behind us. This time, the car was stuck in first gear, the clutch would not engage and I was in a panic. We finally managed to push it out of traffic to a safe spot to wait for the tow truck. The kicker this time is that my beloved dealership, where I bought the car and have had it faithfully serviced for three years is closing it's doors on Monday!!! This left me having my car towed 15 miles south to a huge dealership that I've never dealt with before, whose online reviews for service are nothing short of appalling.

Let me recap by saying that I thought I selected my car very carefully. I have absolutely loved an adored it, even though I've replaced both headlights (they are not cheap!) and tail lights and more hubcaps than I can count by now. I can live with those petty annoyances, but what really concerns me is that I have 16 months left to pay on this car, and the THIRD clutch is being installed this week. For the record, I baby my car, and most certainly do not beat up on my clutch. In fact, I'm hoping how someone can explain how a bearing gets sheared off, resulting in a brand new kit being installed, then the clutch plate gives way in the brand new kit, 10 months later.

Looks like I'll be trading in my car as soon as it's paid off! I lack the words to express how incredibly disappointed I am. The WHOLE reason I bought a brand new car was so that I did not have to deal with maintenance problems like this. VERY, VERY POORLY DONE, FIAT!

50,000 that's it!
By Dp

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Warranty stops at 50k miles and that's when everything thing fails! You buy the car with a maintenance package.... They will change oil every 8,000 miles (factory recommended)... 500 miles out of warranty and engine light comes on... Now the story changes... Change oil every 5,000 miles!