Used 2012 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Best Vichicle I have EVER owned!
By LeahRae Eisel

2012 Dodge Durango R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned many vichicles and this is by far the very best! I have driven my 2012 Dodge Citadel, 5.7 V8 Hemi over 95,000K miles! I have driven through snow storms, icy roads, Highway, two lane highways, country roads. Between Colorado and South Dakota. The comfort is amazing rear captains seats always impress! So much power with the Hemi for a smaller Vichicle. Control with the 5 speed has been great when driving in the mountains. I have always felt safe in this SUV it is not cheap and has a great feel of stability! I have driven in very dark areas with no lights and this truck has great head lamps and additional lighting for a wider range to the side! I have never slide on ice or snow, I have driven through white out conditions at night! Entertainment features are great front viewing of movies when sitting still has really Been great! Gas mileage with the ECO feature is amazing! I am a woman who has owned trucks and cars and this by far is the best of both worlds!

Perfect for my needs
By Cyndi

2012 Dodge Durango SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I wanted a vehicle with third row seating that gets decent gas mileage and this perfectly fits the bill ...AND it looks really good!! It's not a hot rod with the 6 cylinder but as long as it climbs any hill (which it has - North Cascades Pass no problem) it serves my purpose. Fuel mileage has been surprisingly good and as long as I keep my foot out of it, it's easily 20mpg average. Like I said: PERFECT.

Dodge doesn't allow you to keep up with technology
By CPHarrison

2012 Dodge Durango Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has provided great service and performance until now. I recently purchased a new phone and now the bluetooth service no longer works. After contacting several departments at Dodge, there does not appear to be an upgrade in technology since the car was made. Dodge must expect you to purchase a new car every 2 years when you phone contract runs out and you have to upgrade your phone. Have own Chrysler products most my life. I guess if I am going to keep up with technology, I'm going to have to look at foreign cars now. Can no longer recommend Chrysler products, sorry.

Since I bought this nothing but problems
By Hobbob

2012 Dodge Durango Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

When I first got this I was so excited it was so nice I could not say that now. I have already fixed 6/9 recalls on this big poop of a vehicle some where repeats because the fix they had available didn’t fix the problem after all or caused more problems. Computer had at least 3 updates at $20 a piece. Some are simple recalls others are break failure accerator fire hazards etc. During one of the times it was at the dealer they took over a week to fix and no replacement vehicle offered. I finally went in to demand I have my car back since they didn’t seem to be doing anything and I was getting the run around every day was oh it will be ready tomorrow or later today. They informed me that the mechanic went home and had taken my keys with him. Went back a few hours later they had the keys but misplaced the truck waited 30mins for them to finally inform me that I could not have my car back because the power steering was not working and I would have to pay to fix it since it was like that when I dropped it off. Mind you it was not and I was on the phone with the managers or whatever several times since he kept informing me on when it would be done and increasing cost with updates etc. eventually they said it was their fault that they had unplugged it while it was in service and of course it wasn’t like that when I dropped it off. Okay You may be thinking that’s a problem with the dealership no worries. A day after receiving my car back I got a notice of yet another recall. Currently not even 6 months after receiving my car back I have two more recalls. My key will not read half the time it has a brand new battery and just today I am having acceleration problems. This is a 2012 car that’s 5 years old and already have 11 recalls 3 updates and cannot use my car at this moment as it is unsafe to drive. One of the current recalls is the alternator which may catch fire or cause it to stall out etc but they have no fix for this issue so I need to continue checking back with them Incase they figure it out. So if you decide you want a truck to only work part time to spend money on fixing problems left and right I would highly recommend this. If however you want reliable transportation that won’t catch fire, breaks, fail or have acceleration problems I would recommend anything even a tricycle before this. In addition small parts keep popping off like covers for screws etc which is annoying every time you vaccuum your car you have to continue popping them back in. Lift gate won’t stay up anymore and easy exit not longer works. I am not per say a dodge hater I am just tired of being screwed by this truck so much money wasted in purchasing since this is my first dodge I probably will not be buying another however my husband does have a ram 1500 we purchased after purchasing mine that is working fine. Other details are I average 10 mpg in city, back row is non existent as it is small and hard to get in and out of with back row up space is really limited. Car seats are a squeeze to fit expecally when rear facing not impossible though just not all seats will fit. Blind spots are not so bad until you have a car seat blocking the way. Ac seems to be running good both front and back. Remote start no longer works.

Superb SUV!!
By Windy Mastroyannakis

2012 Dodge Durango Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is magnificent in practically every way! We actually own the V8 Citadel, which isn't listed in the choice of trims above. We bought this vehicle when Grandma moved in and made us a family of five. The Durango has been a fantastic choice with the exception of fuel economy (yikes) and the Bluetooth. We knew what we were getting into, however, when we purchased the Durango as far as the poor gas mileage. The Bluetooth is 90% wonderful, but drops calls when dialing occasionally. All in all, we are thrilled with our purchase. We have owned the Durango for four years.