Used 1990 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

26 years and counting
By Bob Paxton

1990 Dodge Dakota S 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this new and have hauled tools, lumber, firewood, dirt,etc and it has a surprising amount of power. I change the oil regularly and keep it clean. I find that keeping it clean prompts me to take care of it mechanically. I am on my third replacement starter, changed shocks last year along with radiator hoses, had it re-painted four years ago and just yesterday had first time brake replacement, which I attribute to gearing down to stop instead of relying just on the brakes. I have lost track of batteries and tires purchased. I only drive it for special occasions anymore. I have an 07 F150 and the Dakota's quality surpasses the Ford's. My brother wants to buy the Dakota but I'm reluctant to sell. I have had this truck longer than all three wives put together. I know there are some lemons out there but I've heard more good reports than bad.

Ever Lasting
By Mentalmike1981

1990 Dodge Dakota LE 2dr Regular Cab LB

My dad bought the 90 dakota back in 1998. Just recently in 09 did the truck become undrivable due to a electrical fire under the hood. Up until then the entire family used this truck. It always was ready to go. The paint did fade and peel requiring a new paint job. Other than that the truck was very durable. It oulasted alot of other vehicles the family has had over the years. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

The tuck had alot or power and for the most part was very fuiel efficient.

Better paint. The paint the factory put out was defective. Every dakota i have seen with the two tone paint blue n silver has had a bad paint job.

An Okay Truck
By Okay Truck

1990 Dodge Dakota LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had some good and bad experinces with this lemon. I know with a used truck you are going to have problems, but come on. When I first got it it had an oil leak. Then it had a coolent leak. Now it has a gas leak. What else is going to leak on this thing? When I set my cruise control it will rev itself up going downhill. I can see it doing that going up hill, but down? A month ago the headlights went out while I was going to school. I was at a Chrysler place and when I showed them my truck the guy said, and I quote, "You have a Dakota, it will last forever". Well, if it will last forever, mine is about to die.The transmission gets happy when you first start going in the morning. I would not recommend this truck to anyone.

The only thing I like about this truck is the rims I have on it that I got for Christmas last year, and the performance.

I have a long list for the improvements. The transmission, the fuel economy, the motor because it skip at times, the comfort because on long rides the seats get a little hard, the build quality, and the reliability.

Great Truck
By Great Truck

1990 Dodge Dakota LE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I am a sixteen year old and this is my first car. My father bought it for me when I was fifteen. That was my birthday gift from him and my mother. Ever since we had the truck I have had a lot of fun. The only thing I dislike about the truck is the color. It is blue and silver with double red stripes going down the side, and the chrome on the mirrors, bumbers and front end is showing its age.

The things I like most about my truck is the horsepower, comfort of the interior, the tail pipes ( which make the truck sounds like it has a V8 instead of a V6) and the wonderful CD player it has now. (The tailpipes and CD player was for my sixteenth birthday)

There are two things i think this truck should improve on. One of those things is the fuel economy.(The only time it is driven is on Fridays sometimes on Saturday and Sunday and when my parents take it someplace). The other thing was the cover on the steering wheel.

Great Mopar experience.
By king rat

1990 Dodge Dakota SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this 2WD truck for 8
years. It has outlasted two of my
wife's Grand Caravan. Every morning
Iturn the key, put it in gear, and go
to work. Except when I fill it with
hundreds of pounds of Scout gear and 2-
4 Boy Scouts. I am not easy on this
truck, but I change the oil, keep it
lubed, and wash it 2-3 times a month.
The only rust on it is both doors have
surface rust, 1/2" x 6" along the
bottom, and one rear fender lip where
the previous owner bumped a tree. I
have 3 boys all 6' or more. It is
tight, but we can still squeeze in to
go camping.

The ride is outstanding. The ride has always been very good. It, shifts smoothly, and just goes. Good in the snow. The seats are comfortable on camping trips.It hauls 1/2 ton very well. The Chrysler sound system is so nice I never considered anything else. It is easy to work on.

My only beef is the gas milage. I got between 18 & 22 mpg mixed (mostly highway). When I got close to 100,000 the milage has dropped to 14 - 16, same. Several proffessionals have tune- up the engine and tweeked to tranny, it will not do better than 16 mpg.