Used 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Comfortable car but very unreliable after high MI.
By MBB

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used for very little money with high miles as a truck for hauling stuff around. It is very comfortable, drives well but seems to be in CONTINUOUS need of repair. As it's hard to find a mechanic at where I live I have become one myself! Taking it on long trips is a nail biter. I drive around with a jack, breaker bar, etc. in the trunk. It's replacement will be SIENNA...

2002 Town & Country Limited
By BenDak

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Fine minivan
By kawliga

2002 Chrysler Town and Country EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used, 12 yo with 77k miles to replace a 1999 that hit a deer. Love it so much that it gets picked to commute from Missouri to Florida since it holds so much and wife is a packrat. On the highway I get a honest 23 mpg at 70mph. Will eventually trade for the Stow n Go but until then will drive the wheels off. Old T&C had 180k and was still going strong.
Update: Sold the van to a family that was elated to get, it replaced a older T&C that they had worn out. I did however, replace the T&C with a new Honda Odyssey. I just wanted the quality of the Honda. Looked at the Pacifica but the only thing I really liked was the Stow and Go and I realized I would only use that every couple of years and I own a utility trailer to haul longer items.

Poor MPG
By brokenlies247

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Very comfortable with everything needed at your fingertips.
However, unless you have money to waste, don't purchase.
The MPG is horrendous!
I have had this van for a little over a month and I'm already looking to trade it in! I cringe every time I have to drive it.
At one point in time I was receiving 6 MPG and this was with a tune up.

Very roomy with leather interior and heated seats. I love the digital compass and the MPG indicator as well as the individual temperature control. Easy to drive

Wife loves it, mechanicals are good
By billgrissom

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought at 150K mi, currently 195K.
Top of line w/ features I would never pay for new. AWD and about the last year that was offered.
Engine is dependable pushrod type and still like new.
Only major problem was a cracked flex-plate, requiring transmission removal, so I rebuilt the tranny.
It was perfect inside w/ <2 mil wear on all clutch plates.
Maybe rebuilt before, though no sticker.
Engine wiring was degraded near exhaust.
Common high-end problems - erratic electric doors, auto-temp blower "resistor" failed, CD changer flashes, power steering cooler hoses leaked (dealer-installed tow package), heated seats stopped, TPMS dings bother messages and not paying $50/wheel to change batteries every 5 years.
Edmunds pinged me for an update (Mar 2016). Now 215K miles. CD changer fixed - paper label stuck inside, power steering pump (Toyota type) has leaked several times at fitting and at split body and is very hard to access, changed all coolant hoses to silicone and waterless coolant so hopefully no more corrosion, rear valve cover has leaked several times, and I see oil again but could be from timing cover (much tougher job).
Edmunds wants an update again (Sep 2016). Van still looks great at 16 yrs and 229K miles. See http://forum.chryslerminivan.net for the best info on fixing common problems. All 2002-04 V-6 suffer a melted fuel injector harness, that is an easy fix. The V-6 engines and transmissions have proven very reliable. Smart to buy a silver one so that as the clear-coat fails, it won't look horrid like the darker vehicles you see in parking lots, esp. here in sunny CA.