2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Review: Has proven itself over time.

2014 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Review

Has proven itself over time.
By kayemtee on

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Below are earlier comments. It has now been three and one half years and almost 50,000 miles. The previous comments continue to be accurate. Reliable, economical, and still fun to drive. No repairs other than the oil leak which was covered under warranty. Brakes still original. Nothing but oil changes and replacing two tires because one was damaged. I’m not sure why it’s not more popular; it’s a very good small car. I love being able to squeeze into small NYC parking spots; the hatchback is more than a foot shorter but the trunk on the sedan is so large and useful.
Perfectly comfortable for 2-3 hour highway trips but I have not taken longer ones in the Chevy only because I have a 23 year old S Class Mercedes that is better suited for long distance high speed road trips. But if I didn’t have it, I’m sure the Chevy would be fine.
I think a clean used Sonic would be an excellent choice for a teen’s first car; the price of a used one is lower than a comparable Honda.

I've owned an. LTZ sedan with the 1.4 turbo and a six-speed manual transmission for two years and more than 30,000 miles.
I'm still very impressed.
Quite peppy in city driving.
We just took a highway ride and ran at speeds up to 80 mph and averaged 39 mpg.
Amazing!
Very solid ride and quiet with little wind noise.
Amazing amount of legroom and headroom for driver and front seat passenger.
I'm six-two and had to move the seat up and had tons of headroom.
I liked the look of the hatchback better but lower price and huge trunk made me pick ther sedan.
We paid less than 18K; I can't think of any car out there to offer this value.

Update after two years: we still like the car very much. It has been flawless with one exception; my independent mechanic noticed a very slight leak in the main rear engine seal. It didn't leak enough to have to add any oil. I brought it to the dealer who replaced the seal under warranty but I haven't had it on a lift to see if the problem is solved.
For the money paid, it's still a fine value although the trade in value is low compared with other subcompacts.

• Outward visibility
  • Rain snow traction
  • Headlights
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

• Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review