Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

JUNK
By martin

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Nothing but problems gas mileage is crap 13 to 15 in the city 20 on freeway.cracked head at 64330 miles two months later it needs both o2 sensor and the button to shift gears broke the key will not come out of the ignition switch some time it will if you get lucky not to safe to leave key in car at night or any time

Less then 3 weeks out of warranty
By DL

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Less then 3 weeks out of warranty, the Transmission blew and GM and the dealership says "oh well" your problem to fix. Any Car and Car company that pulls that stunt, I would not recommend purchasing this car or any GM vehicle. Very disappointed.

Paid to much for what I got
By Kris

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 chevy sonic new in October 2011. I change the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles and use only synthetic. I keep up on the maintenance regularly. I had the front struts go out at about 15000 miles which was covered under the warranty and was a recall. I am now at about 69000 miles and the engine is making a tapping noise and starts rough. There is a strong smell of burnt oil in the cabin frequently and the mechanic has not been able to find out why. The gas mileage is about 24 to 25 mpg on average which is ok but really not that impressive for such a small car. The car was recently valued at about 3500 dollars and I paid 21000 for it new. I tried trading it back in the dealer I bought it from and they told me they didn't want it because they have a hard time selling these card. The dealer even told me they were garbage. This is a decent car for your college kid if you find one for about 3000 to 5000. Don't make the mistake of buying one new because the value will plummet and you probably will be disappointed in the end. I bought this car because it was a Chevy but honestly I'm not impressed.

Sophie the Sonic is a great car for my teen driver
By SBS

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very well suited for my new teen driver. We love the many airbags and it's size is easy for her to handle. We have big SUV's and Crossovers so this smaller car was much needed. Don't let the size fool you - my husband 6 ft. 2 in. and not a small guy and can sit in the front and back very comfortably. The price point was great and we love Chevy's and GMC's so this was a great buy for us.

I own TWO 2012 Sonics... Read this Review!
By Gary N

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I'm not sure what some people do with their cars. We have TWO 2012 Sonic LT Auto's, both with the 1.8L engine. One is a Sedan and the other is a Hatch. I like the sedan a bit better because is is actually longer, giving more cargo space in most cases. Plus, due to aerodynamics, the sedan gets better MPG, especially on the highway, where we routinely get 37 MPG out of that car. But, I also like the hatch, because it has the bigger wheels and fog lights. If it only got the same MPG... There have been a few recall issues, but not many. I do my own oil/filter changes and full synthetic is the way to go. The only odd thing on the sedan was the air intake hose between the air box and manifold cracked on the sedan and that tripped the engine light. It was a $35 part, so I just replaced it in the garage. UPDATE: GM extended the warranty on this part and reimbursed my repair cost.
UPDATE: Both cars have had the air intake break and both were fixed by GM. Also, we are starting to get some thermostat codes popping on the one with 75k miles on it. It's either a dirty connector, or a failed sensor (less than $50) as they all seem to do this.

On the hatch, I took a pot-holed exit ramp too fast and broke a ball joint, so that was $150 with labor and alignment. Other than that, we have about 100K miles combined and ONE unexpected repair. BTW tie rods and ball joints on smaller cars are almost routine maintenance when driving on Michigan roads. Overall pretty good repair record, in my opinion. These are good cars for the money. The insurance is reasonable (we are over 50) they ride pretty well for being so small, especially compared to the imports. We live in Michigan and have full sets of snow tires for these cars, since the factory tires are useless in the snow. But, with the right tires, they are good in winter. I routinely drive though 6-8 inches of snow and isolated patches up to a foot and have never been stranded. The sedan was rear-ended early on, and the fix was done well at the dealership. We take care of our cars and these have been particularly trouble-free. But, a lot of younger people buy these cars and maybe they don't take care of them.

Also, a lot of used Sonics are coming on the market now from rental fleets, so they might not have been cared for that well either. The flood of rental returns is also lowering the resale right now. All things considered, I'd buy another one tomorrow, probably a turbo LT sedan.

UPDATE: I did buy a 2013 LT Turbo Sedan, slightly used a few months ago, so now I have THREE Sonics. They are pretty good cars, my only recent gripe being a few rattles have developed, but they are cheap and easy to fix. The dealer put a replacement set of plastic stabilizer bar links on the 2013 with only 5k miles and there was a TSB put out for a bad seal between the engine and transmission on the car with the turbo engine. That leak was fixed at no cost to me.