Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

First Impressions
By ken G

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Having driven a Nissan Pu 4X4 for 11 years,lets say I was a little hesitant about buying domestic. At this time I am very impressed with the ride and driveability of this truck. Very comfortable, plenty of zip from the 4.3 V6, nicely equipped. It has the optional limited slip rear axle. Easy access with all four doors. No problems to date. Fuel mileage is as expected with a 4X4 not great, but you dont purchase a vehicle of this type for fuel economy, nor will you carry 4X8 sheets of lumber in the bed, a trade off for having the crew cab. Dependability is still to be determined.

4 doors, push button 4X4, no stubborn handles to linkages to seize up, great ride, plenty of room for family of 4, although I wouldn't want to take a long trip in the back seat, a little too low.

Interior Quality,kind of cheezy, too much plastic. A standard bed extender would be nice. Improve the height of the rear seat to be a little more comfortable.

Teach S10
By Patsy Sylvester

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my truck! It has been dependable as well as reliable! It is everything I need for my long drive to work, as well as hauling grain for my horses. The 4 door S10 is very handy for all my teaching supplies as well as my grandkids on the weekend.

4 Wheel drive! Great CD/Tape Deck and speaker system.

Problem Free
By NA

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Chevy for almost a year and have had absolutely zero problems mechanically. It's a suprisingly smooth and quiet ride. A little more get-up would be nice but the gas mileage makes up for it. I average about 27MPG. That's better then most sedans. The stereo could use a little more beefiness and the seats are not the most comfortable things. Do not recommend extremely long road trips! The third door is an awesome feature that makes this truck very versitile, would recommend it!

5 speed manual w/ cruise control

Make seats a little more comfortable

Mixed Feelings
By Gordon

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new vehicle and I have mixed feelings. It HAS lasted almost five years straight. I have driven it repeatedly off road and pulled little bush stumps with it. On the OTHER hand, with less than 1000 miles on it a coolant leak developed behind the dash, turning that new car smell into that rotting corpse smell. It's also extremely underpowered. I have actually considered turning off the A/C when merging onto a fast highway. And I have to replace a blown A/C fuse about twice a year. As it nears 90K miles, most of the engine seals are leaking. In the end, it is just what I paid for: a cheap little truck that will take care of you if you take care of it.

Manual transmission is good for getting unstuck. A/C is critical in Georgia.

Had to buy a toolbox for my gear. Could be wider to fit that third passenger in without hitting the gearshift.

Goodies and baddies
By SneakyStiffler

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This truck handles great, the ZQ8 sport supension package hugs the road like a car. The 16x8" wheels put plenty of rubber on the road to keep the truck there. The motor has a lot of take-off power and will easily smoke both tires. Very thirsty at the pump. Average 16 MPG, 19.5 gallon tank, you do the math.

Power and handling

They don't make it anymore so...