2017 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

My 2 pet peeves about this car
By John Galt

2017 Chevrolet Impala LT CNG 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When opening the trunk in the winter, any accumulated ice on the rear window will break up and slide into the trunk. Also, it is almost impossible to clean the inside of the rear window. No access.

This car is a vacuum
By Oran Sult

2017 Chevrolet Impala Premier 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The air intake is designed to pick up everything off the road, eventually it will block your air filter and stop your car. I hope this does not kill you.GM say it can not or will not make this right

Honest Opinion after 1 Year
By Wes

2017 Chevrolet Impala LT CNG 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Pro: Vehicle looks nice, love the remote start, heated seats, hidden compartment behind the screen, app interface for specs/status/control, good speakers Con: It feels like you are driving a bobble-head down the road (body sways), poor steering (sluggish especially at lower speeds), not as much power on acceleration as I would like, and with the Firestone tires that came on it I can feel every bump in the road. Maybe I am nostalgic; but when I think of Impala, I think of police cruisers. I wanted power, supreme steering, and control. This has been redone to be more of a luxury sedan comparable to Cadillac models. With that came what they call a "soft" suspension. This is vexing to me as I was to hug the road and feel control. This vehicle may be perfect if that is what you are looking for, but for me it is frustrating.

Too soon to tell
By Englewoodranger7

2017 Chevrolet Impala LS CNG 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In June 2018, I bought a brand new 2017 Chevy Impala LS with 24 miles. I needed a work horse with a luxurious big car fell but don’t need all the bells and whistles the LT and Premier has. This review is a reflection on the Chevy Impala based on my experience, and feature comparisons between the 2012 LS and 2017 LS. It’s too soon to tell if the 2017 Impala LS is problematic or a solid vehicle.
My grandfather was a fan of the 60s and 70s Chevy Impala buying them since I can remember. From 1977 through approximately 1990, Chevy Impala’s comfort and mechanics were poor. While the Impala’s designs were contemporary for the time. My grandfather’s last car was a 1978 Chevy Impala, a boxy design, uncomfortable, and had mechanical issues. By 1992, Chevy Impala became the solid work horse it should be performing mechanically well and providing comfort. I drove 1992 through 1997 Chevy Caprice/Impalas as a police officer and they handled well. I bought a 2012 Chevy Impala LS V6 brand new and traded it in with 110,000 miles for a 2017 Chevy Impala LS V6.
During the 6 years I owned the 2012, I had a few mechanical problems. A wheel bearing was replaced along with brakes and tires. The latter two are normal wear and tear expected items. I did have the rear window shatter which I suspect was due to a faulty rear defroster common in 2009 -2013 Impalas. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to replace a faulty rear-window defroster wire that burns out. It’s located in the front passenger compartment near the right foot. Unfortunately, Chevy didn’t acknowledge the rear window defroster wire burning out nor window shattering as an important recall. And I had to replace a faulty emissions sensor. Otherwise the 2012 Chevy Impala LS was a work horse providing big vehicle comfort and handling. The 6 speaker standard stereo system was awesome in the 2012 LS. The 2012 LS handling was good too. I would often accelerate through an expressway clover leaf not feeling too much tilt in the 2012 LS suspension. I wish the 2012 LS had a standard option for the rear seats to fold down. In 2012, rear seats folding down were only available as an option in the LT but standard in LTZ.
The 2012 LS came with 16” aluminum alloy rims. Where the 2012 LT had 17” and the LTZ had 18” alloy rims. In 2012, the V-6, 305 horse power, was standard in the LS, LT, and LTZ. Unfortunately, Chevy has bastardized the 2014-2018 Impala by placing an inferior 4 cylinder in it. It will cost you $1K more to get the V-6 in the 2017 LS, while optional in LT and standard in Premier. In addition, Chevy cheeped it out by not providing aluminum alloy rims in the 2017 LS and some LTs. Instead, the Impala is equipped with cheesy imitation alloy looking hub caps. The alloy rims are a costly option compared to 2012 LS standard.
The other dislike I have for the 2017 Impala LS is the dashboard stitching design. It’s visible in the windshield reflection on sunny days and distracting. The gas mileage is the same in the 2012 and 2017 LS. There isn’t any improvement in mpg. However, take your eyes off fuel mileage for a moment, and consider a roomy, quiet spacious, luxurious ride where you can have a conversation with loved ones; it does have great handling, braking, and the controls are simple. A friend has a luxurious Infinity and commented on how he’d much rather have buttons then touch screens with multiple displays you have to filter through while driving. The 2017 LS does come with 18” rims, compared to the 16” rims on the 2012 LS, which add to the smooth riding and handling.
I do like that the rear seat folds down in the 2017 LS. The trunk is more spacious in the 2017 LS. It seems like the trunk is longer. My golf clubs would barely fit in the 2012 LS. The interior roominess feels about the same in the 2017 as the 2012. There are more cup holders in the 2017 LS located in the side door panels compared to the 2012 LS. I noticed the 2017 LS isn’t as wide as the 2012, but the mirrors are bigger and stick out more than the 2012 LS. I have a one car garage I back my car into and it makes it challenging to make sure I don’t bang the mirrors. In the 2017 LS, looking out the rear view mirror has less of a view than the 2012 LS. It’s almost as though the rear end situs up higher. I find the 2017 LS mirrors have blind spots too.
As far as the standard 6 speaker stereo system goes in the 2017 LS, I find its quality less than the 2012 LS. I fade the music to the back speakers to hear an adequate surround sound. If I didn’t do this, it sounds like only the front speakers work. I adjusted other equalizer settings, such as bass and tone, but don’t hear that superb sound I heard in my 2012 LS. I was disappointed with the standard AM/FM SiriusXM radio that it wasn’t Bluetooth as well in the 2017 LS. It doesn’t have a 3.5 mm audio port either. The 2017 LS seems to sit higher by a couple inches compared to the 2012 LS. This must be due to the 18” rims. I was driving along a 2012 Impala

Power and comfort, but unreliable
By Adrian D.

2017 Chevrolet Impala Premier 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased as used with 17k miles. GM certified, so it brought the bumper to bumper warranty up to 48k. Very comfortable, great ride for road trips. Premier model provides some very nice and luxurious options. As an on the road salesperson, put lots of miles on it, (28k in the first 12 months). First year had no issue, then the fuel pump failed at 45k. This is very premature, but the worst part about it was that it took 8 weeks for my dealership to get the fuel pump from GM. After getting the car back with new fuel pump, the weather had changed to warm, and I used the A/C for the first time that year, and no cold air. Took it back it, and the evaporator had to be replaced. Unfortunately, it was deja vu all over again, because it took the dealership 6 weeks to get the part. Once I got the car back from that repair, I got rid of it as soon as possible.