Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Cobalt for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2009 Chevy Cobalt LT

Thomas, 04/23/2010

I got this car to replace my 02 VW Passat because it was starting to cost me anywhere from $1000 to $2000 every other month in repairs. The Cobalt reminds me of a cross between Toyota Corolla and a Toyota Yaris without the dorky exterior of a Yaris. It drives fairly well and has zero blind spots.

Awesome car

Albert, 05/22/2018
XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

WE have had a 2009 Chevy Cobalt for 9 years and it has 225000 miles on it. The only Major thing we have had to do is replace the strut assembly. All we did was to change the oil regularly as well as checking the fluid levels. I is a manual transmission that make is much more peppy than the auto trans. It gets 29-34 mpg. It has a little noise that you can hear when moving, but has only recently (within the last 20000 miles). I cold do nothing but give this a 5 on dependability. People not to purchase this car because it had a bad reputation. I am so glad we chose this one. BTW it still has the original clutch, which is awesome.

DRIVERS BEWARE!

vlk, 06/29/2012

Driving on I-10 on a clear morning, going at 70 mph, not sleepy, not distracted... the 2009 Chevy Cobalt I was driving started to swerve uncontrollably, then went off to the grassy embankment & rolled on its side at least twice. It finally landed on its passenger side against some small trees. The front wheel broke off along with its axle. The airbags did not deplore. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt! I was lucky, but no telling how the next accident of this sort will end up. GM is totally unresponsive & denies any responsibility. Something had to be wrong with the vehicle! There was just no other explanation. This is not about law suits. It is about consumer safety! BEWARE

great affordable family car

shotgun1496, 07/26/2012

love the car. there is power when you need it, rides good, got rather loud over the years, my only complaint it the brakes they squeal all the time, the even did it about a week after buying it. the cheap plastic interior sucks, but its a good car

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

jjcarter11, 01/07/2011

I just purchased this amazing car and from the very beginning have enjoyed everything from the color to the handling of the car. The acceleration is outstanding! Would highly recommend this car to any car enthusiast who is looking for outstanding value matched with performance.

Too many repairs for a brand new car.

hdryder, 05/02/2011

We have a 2009 Cobalt Sedan W- Auto Trans. Purchased brand new. It currently has 38k miles on it. This is the worst GM car I have ever owned out of the gate. Within the warranty frame it's had numerous failures related to cheap parts: Power steering motor recall. Steering column replaced because of a rattle. Ignition replaced because the key could not be turned off. The most recent is a issue yet to be diagnosed for certain but we are experiencing an erratic slapping noise coming from the drive train. I suspect it's a noise that originates inside the transmission. This car has long term durabilty questionability. Be prepared to spend $$$$ after the warranty expires. It's very cheaply built.

Regret after regret

rkammer, 11/07/2012

This car was my first brand-new car purchase. The first weekend I had it, I had to take it back to the dealer because it had rained where I live and my entire trunk was soaking wet. The rear windshield had not been sealed and they had to replace the carpeting in my trunk and rear dash board. Since then, my now three year old car has been recalled 4 times. In my opinion, that is excessive. I wish I could get every penny back I spent on this car, and to top it off, customer service with GM has been terrible. This car has convinced me I will never buy any GM product ever again.

2009 cobalt 1LT 4dr sedan

Anonymous, 12/08/2010

I needed something w/ good factory warrany backing and GM has that covered, so when I chose this car I felt good- affordable, good pick up on highway and around town, about 1,200 miles a month. Little sluggish going up grades in regular drive gear though, but the good gas mileage makes up the difference. Nice stereo. quiet ride, good in snow.(live in Cleve. ohio) I Plan to drive this for a long time. I'm very happy overall.

Ford Girl, turns Chevy

michelle n, 03/28/2009

I recently traded my 2003 Ford Explorer for the 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT XFE 4-door sedan, in sport red, with a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the way this car rides and handles. I especially love the mpg this car gets, I travel 40+miles, six days a week, and I'm averaging 29.9 mpg. Compared to my Explorer, this is like getting gas for half price. Considering this is a compact car, it is extremely roomy, with quite a large trunk. I can't believe how quietly this car travels, with no road noise to be heard. The OnStar is a plus also. Great car for the price. I love it!

Cobalt XFE Is The Real Deal!

Ethan, 04/28/2009

I just purchased my new 2009 Cobalt XFE sedan. I have not seen many of the XFE packaged cars in the sedan bodystyle, so I assume that it is pretty rare. My car is the very base model LS, and the only option I purchased was floormats. It is a very comfortable driving car. It is surprisingly quiet inside (I've been told the sedan version has more headroom and is slightly quieter if that sways your decision). The engine power is great. I have 700 miles on the car and got an average of 40.7 MPG!!! That was on a 60 mile round trip of windy country roads and getting stuck in a little traffic. The mileage amazes me!

51050