Used 2016 BMW X5 eDrive Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 BMW X5 eDrive Consumer Reviews

xDrive40e 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Hybrid AWD 8-speed Automatic - (12 reviews )

Becareful with the X5edrive
By Maggie

2016 BMW X5 eDrive xDrive40e 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

I leased this 2016 e drive in Dec 2015, i am glad i leased it at the time, it had 3 year warranty on this car. if i don't have this warranty, it would cost me a fortune to fix it. in 2017 September, it first burned my electrical socket (with burning rubbery smell badly) in my garage while i was charging this car, i am glad i was home at that time, otherwise who knows what will happened. after i called the service center the next thing i had to dropped it off at BMW service center, and that took literally two months to fix it. what's worse is, even though they gave me a loaner car, but they requesting me to swab the car every three days, so i had to drive 30 minutes each way every 3 days to comprise their rules, this caused so so so much inconvenience. not finished yet, they told me they had to replace the batteries, and its on back order, after around more than 1 month after my first drop off, i got my car back, **the very next day the engine light was on, the next thing again, i had to dropped it off again with BMW!!, and it's the battery problem again!! What the H***!! they told me, the first time, they didn't replaced the entire battery, and they had to do a back order for the remaining batteries, and this time, it took a little less than a month, maybe 25 days, but ! they told me, i can't drive their loaner car anymore when parts on back order, so instead, i got a Nissan rental for 3 weeks!! So, this is my experience with this e drive, i am disappointed, the entire batteries was replaced, malfunction !! if you are searching for your next hybrid vehicle, make a wise choice. this e drive certainly is not capable of selling in the market.

Love it
By Tth

Ive had the 2017, X5 plug in hybrid for 7 months. I absolutely love it. In electric mode it is so quiet. Hardly ever need to fill up with gas and this is a huge car. I dont have a level 2 charger at home yet but if i did i would have to fill up with gas even less. l love the apple car play, HK stereo, navigation system especially how it works with the heads up display, the comfy seats on and on. The only thing that I can complain about is it is a slight learning curve with all the tech but i love all the tech on it, so its worth it!

Great ride marred by crappy tires
By Billy

Handling is so so especially on curves. You'll really feel the weight of this beast when turning. Sport mode makes driving dynamics a bit better at the expense of using more gas. Without sport mode the ride is a bit bouncy in back. Tires noise from the Goodyear run flat tires is intrusive and annoying. Every road nick or crevice is transmitted by these crappy tires into the cabin. BMW doesn't even offer a choice of non run flats. Will replace these tires with 5000 miles on them very soon. I personally think the x5 diesel may be a better choice.

Not a reliable and safe car! No more BMW!
By Sidney

I bought this X5 eDrive car after my 8-year old Lexus RX350 was totaled and I could not tolerate the new RX350/450h grille front design. Horrible experience started after a July accident, when a towing truck lost control spinning on highway and smashed to my passenger side door. The car was towed to Russel Collision Center in MD, it took them more than THREE months to "fix" it after repeated delays and excuses. There were a lot of visible and electronic problems when they said it was ready to be picked up. Then they tried to fixed them over and over. Finally you thought all should be good. Actually the nightmare just started. Over the weekend, I drove to NY. The "Malfunction - Battery not charging" message appeared. After contacting the Road Side Assistance (RSA), I decided to continue my trip as the car was moving OK. On my way back Sunday, the same message reappeared a few times before "Drivetrain Malfunction" appeared, and the car started shaking with all warning lights on. What a scaring moment on I-83 near York! I managed to stop the car over the shoulder. I contacted RSA and it took me almost two hours to see a towing truck coming. I had to call a uber to take my family members home first while I was waiting for the tow truck. I thought I would have a safe ride with the towing truck to be back to my dealership. No kidding, the tow truck broke down after about 15 min while the driver was on his handheld phone all the time gossiping. I eventually had to take a uber home. This morning I contacted BMW Catonsville and they confirmed the car was towed there and they were ready to repair it. I was told by Text message, "looks like we had a programming recall for the vehicle, i believe this squared away all these issues" (the issues I reported included: Clicking noise, not working hybrid system, seat position button not working, USB phone button won't pick up incoming calls besides the battery not charging and malfunctioning drivetrain, etc.). If there's a serious recall, why the customer was not notified immediately, instead putting my entire family on risk. After I picked up the car this afternoon, the very first thing I noticed was that there's no power to the rear mirror (meaning you cannot program your garage door opener), which they fixed once couple of weeks ago. And the memory seat position button still not functioning. I have no idea how many more issues will be discovered and how much hassle I have to deal with on my busy life schedule. ADVICE: DO NOT buy any BWM cars, at least this model if you want a peace of mind for you and your family.

brand new bmw x5 e drive
By Shirley

It was great car but unfortunately i got a many same issues so Got refunded from BMW by lemon laws. Thanks BMW company.