2017 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

Out With The Old..In With The New
By Wayne

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We have had our X1 2017 for 8 months. Positive comments include terrific pick up, unencumbered interior, a nice tight turning radius, huge panoramic moon roof, bold styling ,outstanding heater/air conditioning and a good value for a new Beemer. As well, if living in a colder climate, DO spring for the heated front seats and steering wheel. They are worth every penny. Lastly, in 2017 many options were stand alone so the cost was individualized, not part of a more expensive package.Needed improvements include 1.MUCH more comfortable front seats. Our options included sport seats after reading the consumer reviews, which were right on. Even the sport seats are narrow and too firm. We have had 5 other Beemers and never had an issue with the seat comfort. 2. Considerable road noise. We have 19" upgraded tires[run flat] and they might contribute to the level of noise. 3. BE CAREFUL!! The 'sliding rear seat' option does provide for more cargo room but since the regular position of the rear seat almost abuts the rear wheel well, you only gain about an inch of additional rear legroom by paying for this option. It's simply not worth it unless additional cargo room is a priority. I am 6' 3" and need to move the front seat all the way back, leaving a tight area for legroom behind my driver's seat. BMW did cheapen their warranty so be advised that items covered in the past now cost the consumer[e.g. windshield wipers replacement on warranty] The length of the warranty has been modified as well. As for the title of this review, we did have an older version of the X1 and loved it....until a texting individual decided to join us in the back seat, totaling the car we had for only 6 months. For what it's worth, it took the rear and frontal impact very well and there were only a couple of broken ribs and lacerations. Her speed was at least 50 mph on impact.

Amazing experience
By Chris

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I absolutely love this car.

2017 X1, My 13th BMW
By Walter John S

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a small SUV, but it holds me very well, 6'3 255lbs. This small version of an SUV has an comfortable ride, a little stiff for some, but not for BMWers. It handles very very well. Superior acceleration for a 4cyl engine. Good visibility all the way around.This X1 is fully loaded, but a blind spot monitor was not available at any cost. It must be the only BMW without that option. Why? I think the BSP is a great option, it has saved me a couple of times from cutting somebody off or even an accident that would have been my fault. My wife drives the car mostly, and she loves it. Small enough so that she can park and maneuver around things fairly easily, but large enough to feel like you have some metal between you and the other idiots who drive so nutsy on our local roads. I find the interior of the X1 a little inferior in quality materials from other BMW's, still good stuff, but somehow it seems a little weak for a BMW. The technology and especially the layout of the interior is the best there is, anywhere. We test drove the Audi Q3, Lexus NX, BMW was a clear winner over these two comparable models. I would give this BMW 4.5 stars if not for the lacking BSP. It only gets 4 as is. My 2006 M3 convertible soft top is still my favorite, it gets a 5 along with my Porsche Macan S, the only two cars I have ever given a 5 rating to, and I have owned LOTS of high end cars and SUV's. Cheers............... Update......... 6 months in, very happy with the car. My wife drives it mostly and she loves it. Perfect size and good fuel economy for all the running around she does.

So far so good
By Beth Rodriguez

2017 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had this car for a month. I am still not used to the quieting of the motor at stops and then kicking in when accelerating. Storage console is very small and I like to have things at hand. Where do I store my CDs? Compartment not big enough for this. Hairbrush doesn't fit. Turn signal is also something I am slow to get used to. The car is just the right size for me and so far so good.

X1 the smaller choice
By Eddie Perez-Santalla

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Great BMW on the smaller scale . Only complaint would be outside air noise a bit loud at higher speeds maybe this is from the full Sunroof and shoulder room in front seats . A little wider would be a great idea for next model.