2017 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

Lost of stability control almost killed me
By Louisa Allyn (formerly Weddle)

2017 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I put Eco Pro on, stopped at a stop sign, accelerated turn to the right and lost complete control of the vehicle. Out of control, scared, and screaming was not what I expected from my new 2017 X-1 with less than 247 miles on it. Warning message appeared on screen stated 'Reinitializing stability control'. I drove it home, they picked it up and the party started. I authorized them to look at it and check it out, NOT to repair it as I found a.It's about a $4,000. repair, b.They almost completely have to tear out bottom to repair. c. There was an open recall on the 2016 for EXACTLY this problem. d. I was in contact with BMW No America on this matter. Well, Fresno BMW repaired it without my signature, told me they would buy it back and give me a great deal on a new one (NOT '17 X-1) and when they realized I wasn't going to buy an X-3 or X-5 (I'm too small for that big a vehicle), they gave me less than blue for my vehicle, and if it wasn't for the mechanics walking past me saying under their breath, 'don't take the car back', they tried to convince me to repair it (for free under warranty) and keep it. There is a lot more to this story as I took over $12,000 loss on a car with 247 miles on it. Needless to say, I'm suing. I was very clear it was not to be repaired, I did not sign the repair order, and the service shop said they were instructed to repair it via BMW No America; AND on top of it all BMW Fresno had print outs FROM the vehicle that said EXACTLY what I said to which BMW No Amer stated they had no control over what Fresno's 'print outs' said and they found nothing wrong. Then why would they do a MAJOR repair on a new vehicle? At the time this happened, my husband had just died and I've let it go out of grief. Two days ago I checked my '17 via CarFax and they reported NO major repair. As far as I'm concerned that is the last straw. A major repair and no record of it? Not cool. I'll go to small claims as I still have every scrap of paper and note taken. Since I had a '13 X-1 that was AWESOME, I found a 2015 with few miles on it and I've had it for almost two years, LOVE IT!! I honestly think the new owner should be contacted and told the truth. Oh, someone bought it, kept it one month and sold it, second owner has had it for less than a year. I wonder how they would feel to find out it had a HUGE repair and they did not know it.

8 Months in an X1
By Scott

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This is my first BMW after three years in a Subaru Outback 3.6R. I'm a guy who likes to get pushed back in my seat when I step on the gas, so I'm always looking for a way to balance that need with fuel use. The Subaru's 6 gave me the acceleration I want and generally I loved the Outback but found the fuel economy very disappointing. I live in Brooklyn, NY - so just think traffic that is about as tough on fuel economy as you get. So at the end of my lease, I test drove an X1 figuring that the turbo 4 gave me a chance to have my cake (acceleration) and eat it too (decent gas mileage). That theory is paying off so far. The X1 is quick and nimble - probably a half second faster - to 60 than the 3.6R and my gas mileage is averaging about 4 - 5 mpg better and much better on the highway. I drove the car on a 1300 mile trip down the east coast and back and averaged just about 30 mpg (80 mile per hour on cruise control most of the way). The Outback never approached that kind of fuel efficiency. The Outback did have more room in the cabin especially for the rear seat passengers (my now grown kids are complaining about comfort on longer trips). The 3.6R also had a smoother ride over bumpy roads as the X1's stiffness and added sportiness comes at the cost of a smooth ride. But the slightly smaller length and width of the X1 is a big benefit when parking - especially on the street. I think for me the X1 beats the Outback in most of the other categories that matter to me - aesthetics too. My only other beefs would be the bluetooth entertainment system and the driver memory settings (it can supposedly store at least 2). To this day we can't figure out why the bluetooth bounces between mine and my wife's phone when we are both in the car and we prefer using waze on our phones to the navigation that comes with the X1 - so with bluetooth connection - consistency matters. It also is irritating that if your phone is connected wirelessly and then you decide to connect it to the usb - the car disconnects and you have to reconnect. Finally - For some reason the car keeps losing my settings when I select them - so I'm planning on going back to the dealership to see what's up with that. I'm a pretty picky person, so I don't want the gripes to make readers think I'm not happy with the car - overall it's one of the best car's I've owned and a very good value for the dough.

Out With The Old..In With The New
By Wayne

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We have had our X1 2017 for 14 months. Positive comments include terrific pick up, unencumbered interior, a nice tight turning radius, a huge panoramic moon roof [option], bold styling ,outstanding heater/air conditioning and a good value for a new Beemer. As well, if living in a colder climate, DO spring for the heated front seats and steering wheel. They are worth every penny. Lastly, in 2017 many options were standalone so the cost was individualized, not part of a more expensive package.
Needed improvements include 1.MUCH more comfortable front seats. Our options included sport seats after reading the consumer reviews, which were right on. Even the sport seats are narrow and very firm. We have had 5 other Beemers and never had an issue with the seat comfort. 2. Considerable road noise. We have 19" upgraded tires[run flat] and they might contribute to the level of noise. 3. BE CAREFUL!! The 'sliding rear seat' option does provide for more cargo room[ about 4 "] but since the regular position of the rear seat without the option almost abuts the rear wheel well already, you only gain about an inch of additional rear legroom by paying for this option. It's simply not worth it unless additional cargo room is a priority. I am 6' 3" and need to move the front seat all the way back, leaving a tight area for legroom behind my driver's seat. BMW did curtail their warranty so be advised that items covered in the past now cost the consumer[e.g. windshield wipers replacement during scheduled service- standard in the past... over $30.00 EACH now] The length of the warranty has been modified as well.
UPDATE.....The X1 is built in Germany, unlike the X3 and 5. I took a sleighride with our X1 this past winter and quickly discovered that the Potenza tires were exclusively SUMMER tires . Be advised that I believe Germany does not recognize all season tires- only summer or winter. I was informed that winter tires are required and cars without them can be ticketed in Germany. SO....IF that is accurate, since we ordered our car from Germany in April, it came equipped with summer tires. We will be switching to all season within the next year. Lastly, the Potenza tires, while enabling the car to maneuver well does not appear to wear well. At 17,00 miles, the tread is 3/4 gone....NOT impressive.

Amazing experience
By Chris

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I absolutely love this car.

2017 X1, My 13th BMW
By Walter John S

2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a small SUV, but it holds me very well, 6'3 255lbs. This small version of an SUV has an comfortable ride, a little stiff for some, but not for BMWers. It handles very very well. Superior acceleration for a 4cyl engine. Good visibility all the way around.This X1 is fully loaded, but a blind spot monitor was not available at any cost. It must be the only BMW without that option. Why? I think the BSP is a great option, it has saved me a couple of times from cutting somebody off or even an accident that would have been my fault. My wife drives the car mostly, and she loves it. Small enough so that she can park and maneuver around things fairly easily, but large enough to feel like you have some metal between you and the other idiots who drive so nutsy on our local roads. I find the interior of the X1 a little inferior in quality materials from other BMW's, still good stuff, but somehow it seems a little weak for a BMW. The technology and especially the layout of the interior is the best there is, anywhere. We test drove the Audi Q3, Lexus NX, BMW was a clear winner over these two comparable models. I would give this BMW 4.5 stars if not for the lacking BSP. It only gets 4 as is. My 2006 M3 convertible soft top is still my favorite, it gets a 5 along with my Porsche Macan S, the only two cars I have ever given a 5 rating to, and I have owned LOTS of high end cars and SUV's. Cheers............... Update......... 6 months in, very happy with the car. My wife drives it mostly and she loves it. Perfect size and good fuel economy for all the running around she does.