Used 1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 BMW 7 Series

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

The Ultimate DRIVING Machine, YES!
By Automaniac

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Already the happy owner of bulletproof-reliable Accord coupe 5-sp 1990 (still drive it daily!), 44 mpg Civic hatch, wanted to buy large luxo car w. great styling/performance. If DRIVING PLEASURE is a top priority, BMW 7 = the ONLY option. Got a great price due to the high gas prices at the time Bought it Oct 05, $10.5 k after the owner fixed and detailed the car. It gets 24+ MPG long highway high speed trips, 13-15 spirited city. What a bargain! And $10.5k is less than the 1st yr depreciation if you buy the fat, ugly new 7! I'd drive this car forever!

Other reviewers have listed many great features, I agree with all, I emphasize the perfect 50-50 weight distribution that lets it handle like a dream, as if on rails at corners at high speed. Engine is a really strong 4.4 lt v8, also great. Nav system and computer lots of fun. Stereo is great.

Reliability of the small stuff, Engine is largely quite reliable. CD changer in trunk got stuck after very mild use. Check engine light recurring, may have to fix gaskets at $800. So far spent next to nothing on this car after I bought it, but I am not fixing non-essential stuff. Just change oil.

BMW 7 series
By Doug1958

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This Car is so fun to drive the way it handled around big bends is legendary.

I loved the ride.

If only it had real wood.

The Ultimate Disaster Machine!
By Lucian

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Looks can be deceiving! Let's see, purchased car at 58k, coolant sensor broke at 59K, tire alignmnet at 60K, fuel pump 61K, cat converter at 63K, sealant around windows at 63K all that in one yr. That yr i only put on the car 8k miles in hot weather! It has been nighmare after nightmare. Thanks BMW i hope ur happy in Stuttgart. Hire new engineers? That would be a good start.

Interior was excellent, and fun to drive when it works.

Warranty should last at least 10yrs or 100k miles...if they say the car is reliable then show me with a better manuf. warranty?

The Ultimate "7" driving machine
By Alex

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

My last car was a 1995 Jaguar XJ6, it was wonderful, however trunk space was an issue. Having owned 6 BMW's in the past I bought a 1998 740il on eBay. Drove the car to California from Texas, and on the way achieved between 25-29 mpg, Incredible! Both cats replaced for Calif Smog laws $2400 yikes! The car is an absolute pleasure to own, and drive. In essence its a "Sports car Limo". Fast, luxurious, smooth, powerful, addictive are just a few superlatives to descibe the car. Take care of your 740, don't abuse it, get your maintenance done when required and it will give you immense pleasure. As a side note, I later found out, my 740il was previously owned by Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys.

The BMW Ride, roadholding, Solid build quality, HUGE Trunk, limo back seat space, and oh... the engine... so sweet.

I wish mine had the navigation system. Too bad the center console is not a glove box.

Best car I ever owned
By Andrew

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After seeing this car I loved it, after driving it, I was obsessed with it, after owning it, I will always have a BMW. I thought about trading it for a Mercedes when my lease was up, but there were none comparable so I bought it... even the dealers that wanted to sell me a car knew that my car was better. I honestly believe that it is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

could improve on the, ummm, well, I guess they could make a convertible...