Used 2012 BMW 6 Series Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 6 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 Series model:

Always will own one
By Felicia

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

Second 650i convertible owner. I'll own them as long as they make them. (which, unfortunately, ended Feb of this year). For a convertible, there's less road noise then a hard top, sound in speakers is great, going 80 feels like you're driving 40, no squeaks or leaks in the roof. This car is a 2012 with zero issues. As any luxury car, you can expect a high maintenance bill, but don't get one if you can't afford it. Just make sure you take it to a BMW dealership and you're covered. Warranty does cover any electrical and mechanical issues - anything outside of wear and tear. The only thing to watch for is the convertible. My last one (I was 3rd owner) had a big top stopping mid-way issue which, although covered by warranty, they wouldn't cover until it was "adjusted", which came out of my pocket. When I asked "what the *** is an "adjustment"? they told me it was the responsibility of the owner to "adjust" the sensors before they will repair anything. I told them being the 3rd owner, how was I supposed to know this? Where in the BMW manual does it say this? Arguing with a warranty company is comparable to banging your head against a brick wall, so I ended up having to pay $900 out of pocket for something that failed, AGAIN, a few weeks later, that, yes, had to be fixed, which I had to pay another $300 for the warranty deductible, but they did fix. I still don't understand what happened, but be weary of that. (side story: I'm also a lifetime Miata owner/fan with 3 under my belt. I'm an original 2004 mazdaspeed owner and not once has that car been in the shop - lesson? The more electronics you have in a car, the more problems you'll have) Anyway, back to this car, since the 2007, the 2012, has definitely fixed a lot of its electronic glitches and what appeared to be transmission "jumping" in my 07, is now gone in my 12. The newer models are a lot less frustrating and way more user friendly. And VERY fast.

What a fine vehicle from going from a Porsche
By Scot

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i xDrive 2dr Convertible AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Hitting 70 this year I decided to go with comfort and still having the performance I liked with my Porsche I had for 12 years. It hit all the marks. The acceleration, the cornering, the luxury and styling of this machine all are amazing.

Very enjoyable to drive but really a 2 seater
By Steve P.

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I truly enjoy driving this car. The handling and acceleration are wonderful. Exhilarating. was disappointed that Android Auto is not enabled, but I can connect via Bluetooth. Tire wear does appear to be a concern as there is a sticker from BMW on the windshield to expect 20k or less. When tires run more than $1300/set of 4 it is a consideration for cost of maintenance. There is also no spare, so get run flats or risk getting stuck. At my height, no one can sit behind me, and as long as your passenger is small, you could travel with 2 passengers. No one buys this car to share the experience with more than one, and I love my BMW. I would buy it again. It is a wonderful car to drive and makes me smile every day.

Disappointing
By randzz

2012 BMW 6 Series 640i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My 640I was the worst car I ever owned. The computer system went out causing the vehicle to malfunction. They replaced it. The windows would not go up in the rain. They tried to fix it but continued to be a problem. The navigation system is the worst. I got tired of all the problems and traded it in at 7000 miles. While driving it to the Chevy dealership to trade it in the computer system went blank and 1 at a time all the systems went black. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned.

The car is beautiful and when it worked it was fun to drive.

The entire car needs to be improved because of numerous malfunctions.

Fun to drive but burns oil and idles rough
By getngo

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I brought a brand new factory ordered 2012 650i 8 speed automatic with heads up display and drivers assist package and LED headlights-sport packaged 20 inch rims with manufacture date 11/2011. Fun to drive with nice design in/out until the low oil level indicator warning came on at 3248 odometer miles. Classic BMW dealership where I bought the car told me it was normal even though the car had short lived 1-2 sec of clanking noice on cold start and rough idle, evident with bottle water in cup holder. Dealership put one quart of oil. 3200 miles later I am low on oil again. Dealership put another quart of oil. Again I am back for 3rd quart of oil at 2794 miles later with 9610 odometer miles!

Heads up display and drivers assist package. The views from the cameras will help you from scraping wheels and fromt spoilers. 8 speed automatic allows me to cruise 77 mph at 2000 rpm. LED headlights with front only LED turn signal lights (like previous old 2008-2010 650 series). LED fog lights. Fun to drive!

Excessive oil consumption for a 4.4 liter engine, even with a modest twin turbo over previous 4.8 liter naturally aspirated engine and only 40 more horsepower to show. Rough idle on with transmission on park or drive. Put a bottled water in the cup holder and check. If that bothers someone then get the B&O stereo upgrade to mask the rough idle. Shorted lived clanking noise from the exhaust on cold start best heard by leaving the drivers door open. Rear tail-light not evenly bright on the trunk portion and the corner portion. No auto trunk closing option.